New File for OpenBox Posted at Yojia

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
Yojia has yet again put up what they label new firmware for the OpenBox dated 2-23-2011. When you extract it the file name is HDS2_SCMT_ENG.abs I loaded it into my box, looked around, didn't see anything new so I put my original firmware back in. I thought some other brave souls my want to give it a try, maybe find an improvement I missed.

http://www.yojiatech.com/

Last edited:
Did they take it down already? The main download page says that it's updated 2/23/11, but the filename says 1/11/11 -- which I've had since, well, 1/11/11.

What's the version number that comes up in the information screen on the Openbox after you've loaded the supposed 2/23/11 version?

Did they take it down already? The main download page says that it's updated 2/23/11, but the filename says 1/11/11 -- which I've had since, well, 1/11/11.

What's the version number that comes up in the information screen on the Openbox after you've loaded the supposed 2/23/11 version?

Jim,

I've already removed it from my OpenBox and I didn't look at the ver number. The date I picked up on is on the home page link I posted to the right of the file name in dark print. I can tell you It didn't hurt to try it as long as you make a copy of your existing abs file and know how to put it back. I was hoping this was another of their tweaked files that still has the older date on it, but has something new maybe I missed.

I didn't install it yet to see what the version string is, but the date on the un-rared file is last October!

They've actually done this before -- put up a version dated this year, then a day or two later put up an OLDER version under the same link. No release notes or anything to say why they rolled it back.

Getting a little tired of these clowns... I'm tempted to get an AZbox, but rick says the Ultra has been discontinued and I'm not paying for a Premium Plus.

I wish SatelliteAV would finish the cheap, do-it-all receiver that they've been working on.

Getting a little tired of these clowns... I'm tempted to get an AZbox.
I wish SatelliteAV would finish the cheap, do-it-all receiver that they've been working on.

Jim,

There also has been talk of the Manhattan RS1933 to be released end of Feb. 2011. This box has similar specs to the OpenBox.
Yea I've read the hints Brian has posted about his new development. Wish he would give us a little more info on it.

Last edited:
Info please

So is Yojia the only source for S9 files?

I have an S9 with the greenish picture issue that I want to get resolved.

ticoman said:
So is Yojia the only source for S9 files?

I have an S9 with the greenish picture issue that I want to get resolved.

An easy fix is to tint your picture settings red on your tv. Most new tvs and avrs allow you to tweak settings by input so they wont affect other inputs.

crackt out,.

If you have an older TV that you cannot control each input like I do, I found that an HDMI to Composite/S-Video adapter eliminates the green tint.

The one I got was 45$ US with shipping. If you search eBay for HDMI to s-video, you'll find quite a few that say HDMI Converter on the top. The letters HDMI are in white and converter is in blue. I've been using it for over a week now without any issues or green tint. I run the video through this and the coax audio out to the stereo receiver. I have tested and audio will come through the HDMI cable out through the RCA audio jacks.

Wouldn't it be great if someone stateside would work on firmware for the Openbox? I believe the hardware side of that receiver is solid, but the firmware is holding it back.

Been using the HDMI to S-Video adapter for 2 weeks now on the Openbox S9 without any problems. No green issue to speak of. PAL channels scroll text at the bottom of the screen without jerkiness. Great workaround until there is a firmware fix. :)

The ALi 3602 chipset is now quite an old design and new STB development or feature sets is minimal on this chipset. The R&D dollars have moved on to newer and faster chipsets with higher speed and function. At this point, I wouldn't expect to see new function added to support North American specific wish lists. Maybe minimal fixes for the squeaky wheels, but don't hold your breath unless everyone starts buying from the same source and there is demand to warrant the investment in engineering.

We decided over a year ago that the issues with this chipset made it ineligible as a candidate to be a GEOSATpro product.

Sorry guys to disappoint, but not willing to share news on the SD/HD products or release dates. Keeps me out of the cross hairs! :eek:

Last edited:
The ALi 3602 chipset is now quite an old design and new STB development or feature sets is minimal on this chipset. The R&D dollars have moved on to newer and faster chipsets with higher speed and function. At this point, I wouldn't expect to see new function added to support North American specific wish lists. Maybe minimal fixes for the squeaky wheels, but don't hold your breath unless everyone starts buying from the same source and there is demand to warrant the investment in engineering.

We decided over a year ago that the issues with this chipset made it ineligible as a candidate to be a GEOSATpro product.

Sorry guys to disappoint, but not willing to share news on the SD/HD products or release dates. Keeps me out of the cross hairs! :eek:

Although playback media capability differs greatly from brand to brand, there are those that can handle DiVX, those that can handle MKV, and those that none of those... using the same chipset ;). As long as there is not a big pirate market for the openbox maybe we'll never get to see lots of new features being added. At least that's what it seems, since those that handle divx/mkv are curiously enough, also brands that directly or indirectly, catter to the eyepatch people.

It's NOT on Yojia's site, but if you google HDS2-11-03-10, you might find a firmware release that claims to provide playback of XVID files in the media player. (As far as I can remember, all previous versions only played sound and pictures, no video.)

I haven't tested this version, and won't for a few days because my dish is down for post-storm repairs. As usual, test at your own risk, and don't forget that they claim to have implemented clone-killer routines a few versions ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)