New Finds Pub Area

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
Boy it would be nice to have a Wild Finds Pub For New Channels/FINDs/Backhuals/Wild Scans like over at the Sadoun Tech Forums! (Clear Throat Out Loud For the Moderators and site owner!) Since Sadoun is a Gold Sponsor here maybe work with bobkat or one of the other guys over there to help us with ours just to get started!

We need one here on the Satellite Guys!

It can even be a Pub Member yearly Membership incentive (Scott aka Willy Wonka!!) Hint Hint! :up.

But it does has to be not easily accessible so the ones we do find and post does not get scrambled right off! I know, and read it here before I am not the only member that has brought this subject up. Maybe sometime we will have one going!

Just a idea to bounce off the bigger guys!

B~Man
A Oompa-Loompa
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Cheers to that. This has been bothering me for a while now. I have information to share (with the right people, of course) but nowhere to do it, it seems.

We have such a department.
Membership is by invitation. edit: not by asking.
Needless to say, it's not highly promoted.
For more info search the FTA section for "WUT". (what's up there)
I have information to share (with the right people, of course) but nowhere to do it, it seems.
PM it to Iceberg. :cool:

Last edited:
As of the time of this post, seems like the FTA forum generates about half the traffic on the whole site: The Dish Network Forum (868 Viewing) & Free To Air (FTA) Discussion (261 Viewing) no other forum as of now with these numbers.

I think it is safe to say that half of this traffic or viewers is for the FTA part of the forums! Seems like the FTA side has more viewing members each day than any part of the site. Guess that says a lot about the hobby and the guys dedicated to it. A Pub area like this would benefit the site and would be a great way to get some of us guys to support it yearly! I am just one guy that thinks this but you make up your own minds, yes having our own animated avatar is great, being a member is great, having access to the pub area is fine but we are The Satellite Guys Americas Number One Source For Everything Satellite right?

Update, Anole Jumped the post ahead of me.

Anole:We have such a department.
Membership is by invitation. edit: not by asking.
Needless to say, it's not highly promoted.
For more info search the FTA section for "WUT". (what's up there)

I just seen the post that Anole made before I posted this, GREAT! So there is a place! It does need to be advertized as such! Not everybody knows this. I know if I knew this awhile back I would have jumped on the yearly band wagon much sooner. Maybe this will kick start an incentive to mention it as a addition for Pub Membership. You would get more people grabbing the yearly membership for sure! Just my thoughts!

Thanks for Buzzing In Anole!

ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Last edited:
My understanding is that membership in WUT is not for sale.
Think about it. Made sense to me. :cool:

Since my post above, someone PM'd me about it.
I suggested he do the following:
#1). PM your OWN finds (not ones from other forums) to Iceberg.
#2). Participate more in the discussions here.

PS: I have nothing to do with membership.

Anole hit part of it. We do have an area called the Whats Up there area. And yes it is by invitation. Allow me to explain

When the FTA area was created we had the area available. You could click on a link and put a reason as to why you wanted in and then the mods at the time (me included) would either approve or deny. It worked pretty good from the get go then we had some major issues. People would try to get in and put as a reason like this
1. want to see what 24/7 channels are there
2. want the newest "fix" or "bin"
3. just because (that one always made me laugh)
4. I dont have FTA yet

those are some examples. Now when they would be denied folks would get upset and either go to Scott who told them to come talk to me and I would explain or they would post on the board "why cant I get in" and again we would explain. It got to the point it just became a headache arguing with people.

At the time it was agreed to close the area so that if you had access you could see it and vise versa. We did make it by invitation and usually I would go through the members here in the FTA area and add the area for folks to see. I was doing this regularly but in all honesty I dropped the ball recently and I have toi apologize for that.

As to the pub thing I am totally against that. No way I would allow money to be involved for a few reasons
-Hacker boards have that where you get "preferential treatment" over the "regular folks" and that is wrong. All folks here in the FTA area get treated the same way (well hackers maybe not) ;)
-Folks will just pay to say "OK I want in now" and then if they dont like it then they would want their money back. When a area was removed for political things we actually had a couple people ask for their money back :rolleyes:
-If you want to become a pub member for Satelliteguys then by all means do. That is for the whole site, not just here
-From a technical standpoint, we have had a bug where pub members can't access that area. I've had some PM's from folks about that

So there it is in a nutshell. Give me the weekend to work through the bugs and we should be able to get something to work here :)

I would love to get into that. There is a public wildfeed site but it's kind of awkward to navigate and the design is poor and somewhat unreadable. Hopefully you guys get something worked out where non-hackers can either apply or regularly get added to the feed forum!

Yeah, I'm all for adding a few more here and there to WUT. Maybe have a sticky thread in there where those of us who are already there could discuss new applicants or nominations based on what we've seen of them in the public areas.

Example... FooBar PM's Iceberg with a couple new feeds he found. Iceberg posts the feeds and mentions they are from FooBar. Somebody speaks up and mentions that oh by the way did you notice FooBar has helped several people who were having trouble getting their motors aligned. Others concur he's a really great guy, and after whatever other filtering procedures the mods may decide are needed, FooBar gets granted access to WUT.

Yeah, I'm all for adding a few more here and there to WUT. Maybe have a sticky thread in there where those of us who are already there could discuss new applicants or nominations based on what we've seen of them in the public areas.

Example... FooBar PM's Iceberg with a couple new feeds he found. Iceberg posts the feeds and mentions they are from FooBar. Somebody speaks up and mentions that oh by the way did you notice FooBar has helped several people who were having trouble getting their motors aligned. Others concur he's a really great guy, and after whatever other filtering procedures the mods may decide are needed, FooBar gets granted access to WUT.

I am 1000% with Pepper on this. Other sites that I am a part of that have private rooms have a couple of stipulations, one is a minimum post count, usually 500 QUALITY posts, not just smiley faces or +1 kind of things, and the other is a VOTE by people in the private room on whether or not to let the person in.
THEN, once you ARE in, you have to watch yourself because you have had to do SOMETHING to be let in, so you can just as easily be kicked out. Although in my other experiences that has never happened because the vetting process is so thorough to begin with, we have no BS in our private rooms, if someone is in there, they deserve to be in there, and get treated as such. :D

Just a suggestion. :p

I agree also but with a cavat of sorts for people like myself who have been involved with satellite stuff on and off for years. But I do not post very often due to time I have to devote to this hobby, therefore I don't hold too highly a post count vs a persons length with the particular forum as a way to justify them gaining access to the private finds section. I do not post very often but I have been a member of this forum for at least a couple of yrs. and just recently started getting back into the Satellite hobby again. I have access to the members only areas on Satforums and Espee, and I would like to have acess to the private finds area here as well I contribute when I can and feel I have the knowledge to contribute to the persons post but I am still faily new to FTA part of satellite so I am still getting my feet wet in it and therefore would not like to see this tied to a number of posts to gain access. I am trustworthy with the information posted in those types of areas and I DO NOT advocate piracy of any sort, thats where problems begin. Just my 2 cents on this matter.

Thanks

I agree also but with a cavat of sorts for people like myself who have been involved with satellite stuff on and off for years. But I do not post very often due to time I have to devote to this hobby, therefore I don't hold too highly a post count vs a persons length with the particular forum as a way to justify them gaining access to the private finds section. I do not post very often but I have been a member of this forum for at least a couple of yrs. and just recently started getting back into the Satellite hobby again. I have access to the members only areas on Satforums and Espee, and I would like to have acess to the private finds area here as well I contribute when I can and feel I have the knowledge to contribute to the persons post but I am still faily new to FTA part of satellite so I am still getting my feet wet in it and therefore would not like to see this tied to a number of posts to gain access. I am trustworthy with the information posted in those types of areas and I DO NOT advocate piracy of any sort, thats where problems begin. Just my 2 cents on this matter.

Thanks

All great points, but I don't agree. One should have to make more of a contribution than feeds. We as a group can use more experienced members that POST, and help people that have problems, not that just come to hang out and take & post feeds. And I have lots of TIME on a lot of websites, but few posts, if you don't post, how do folks know what kind of person you are? No offense, but I don't expect anybody to take my word that I am a good guy, I expect to have to PROVE it by posting, and having my peers rate me. If the time comes for me to be judged, it will be my my posts and what they contain.

But then I don't run things...LOL...:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)