Status
Please reply by conversation.

vfrjim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
Rhode Island
Sonicview

So far, it is not bad and seemed to fix many problems that plagued the receiver since it was released. The only bug that I have found so far is the inability to use the EPG to record programs (even the EPG that does populate from the ATSC tuner for OTA HD channels).

I think they even fixed the bug that prevented the recording of high-bitrate feeds, but will verify that tonite.

If anyone wants me to try anything, just ask.

PVR Timer recording and OTA channels

Sonicview

So far, it is not bad and seemed to fix many problems that plagued the receiver since it was released. The only bug that I have found so far is the inability to use the EPG to record programs (even the EPG that does populate from the ATSC tuner for OTA HD channels).

I think they even fixed the bug that prevented the recording of high-bitrate feeds, but will verify that tonite.

If anyone wants me to try anything, just ask.

Does the PVR timer record menu have better functionality? I seem to recall that the event record start / stop either wasnt there or didn't work. I got one of those boxes for the wife but haven't set up a dish yet, still deciding what 2 slap together.

Now the wife says that the PVR quit working and the usb HDD shows not connected. It seems to be a bit flaky, I guess I have some investigating to do when I get home in a couple of weeks.

Also - I did hook it up to a terrestial antenna but the receiver refused to include a couple of known strong ATSC signals desipte pausing an abnormally long time during DTV scan and displaying "Locked" at the appropriate frequency. Have you or has anyone ever experienced something like that, it was quite dissapointing since the stations in question are the ones she was most interested in recording, local OTA FOX is one of them.

I do not know which menu about the PVR you mean exactly.

What I have tested is a high-bitrate (40mbps) without issue (except I think that I have a signal problem tonite with the heavy rains that are occuring), with a minor glitch every once in a while.

BUT I also updated my external USB drive to an Antec MX-1 case with a Seagate DB35 series (500 gig) drive and it seems to be running really good with FAT32.

I have no problems with the ATSC tuner at all, it is one of my best tuners in the house.

I think it was Main Menu > Settings > Event Timers if I remember correctly.

Mine listed Event Reminders and I thought an Event Record setting that allowed a start time but no end time.

I'm not at home so I cannot check it.

I think it was Main Menu > Settings > Event Timers if I remember correctly.

Mine listed Event Reminders and I thought an Event Record setting that allowed a start time but no end time.

I'm not at home so I cannot check it.

I just set up a recording and it ran, no problem. Off time was allowed.

(even the EPG that does populate from the ATSC tuner for OTA HD channels)
Does it have EPG for just what is on at the moment or for some longer period of time? Is this related to TVGOS (which I thought wasn't implemented yet for ATSC OTA)?

No TVGOS, it gets what the TV station is broadcasting. It gets about 24 hours at best for guided data.

UPDATE: I got my first GREEN screen (which was a problem with the 1.01 version) Looks like it is not a great update.

No TVGOS, it gets what the TV station is broadcasting. It gets about 24 hours at best for guided data.
So EPG is populated just with what each station sends out in its stream. And a lot of the stations probably don't bother to send the information correctly.

I do not know which menu about the PVR you mean exactly.

What I have tested is a high-bitrate (40mbps) without issue (except I think that I have a signal problem tonite with the heavy rains that are occuring), with a minor glitch every once in a while.

BUT I also updated my external USB drive to an Antec MX-1 case with a Seagate DB35 series (500 gig) drive and it seems to be running really good with FAT32.

I have no problems with the ATSC tuner at all, it is one of my best tuners in the house.
It still will not record a high-bitrate HD feed.Try the AbcHD feed and you will see what I mean or any live high- bitrate live HD feed.PBSHd on AMC3 is not high-bitrate.The fact that this 500.00 HD PVR will not record live Hd at high bitrates makes it a lemon.

CBS is not high-bitrate?

Your right, I have not tried the ABC but will try it.

Your right, it is not perfect but I have tried worst.

I tested out it on ABC and it was a no-go, it acted like a slide show. Looks like CBS is much easier on the box then ABC. Cannot wait till a good box actually comes out.

I'm interested an the PVR function but I am also interested in how well it handles PAL to NTSC conversion. If you happen to be on the East Coast and you can get NSS806 there is a pal Free to air signal that I like to watch. What I am looking for if you can get the channel to see if there is a lip sync problem. There may be a jitter problem with fast scenes (25fps to 29.97 fps interpolation issue) but as long as there is no lip sync issue that would be acceptable to me. Let me know. Thanks.

I will try to do this in the next few days but no promises since my SG2100 is giving me problems. I do have a clear LOS to AB1,so los is not a problem. But my results might not be accurate since I feed my HD8000 to a Video Processor that can handle PAL without problems.

Sorry, I cannot hit NSS806 with my Cband dish. I thought it was Ku. LMK if you have another you want me to test.

I guess that means you wouldnt even be able to try KU Telstar 12 at 15deg.
How about Intelsat 9 at 58.0°W? I dont know if there are any pal feeds there though. My dish is stationary. Unfortunately, Lyngsat does not show PAL or NTSC. See if you can get any of the other two. If you have your Reciever set up for tv mode to be NTSC and you happen to lock on a PAL signal what I expect you to see is the frame difference looks like jitter or skipping almost but if your reciever is really good it will never lose lip sync. I really want to make sure before I make such investment.

T12, no problem. I just cannot get my Cband dish past 72w right now (it really needs replacement). If there is a specific signal on T12 you want me to test, tell me the freq/sr.

Jim

I don't remember which one would be PAL but one of the 1st 3 in the list probably is pal.
T12
11806 V 7596SR
11963 H 14714SR
11974 V 3400SR
12166 H 3503SR
12081 H 3935SR

Hey thanks for trying for me.

It does PAL conversion (live) fine, but when you record a show that is PAL, it stutters on playback with the SV-8000HD but if I convert it to MPEG using freeware such as MPEG Streamclip, it plays back on my laptop with no problems using VLC.

It does PAL conversion (live) fine, but when you record a show that is PAL, it stutters on playback with the SV-8000HD but if I convert it to MPEG using freeware such as MPEG Streamclip, it plays back on my laptop with no problems using VLC.

Wow that is very nice. Even though it stutters is there a lip sync issue?

what actually happens every 5 mins or so it will appear to resync itself but then lip sync becomes noticed in between. But if there is no issue then its golden.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts