New firmware released- Azbox-0.9.5308 (07-07-2011)

Keith Brannen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Southwestern Ontario
5308 now out (just at AZBox Snapshots so far)

DVBS.dat is now split between ku and c band ( to use this new file, after install perform a factory restore ) | fixed the dutch iso369 string | added 2 new dvbc countries : dutch and ukraine ( testing ) | fixed the epg detail scrolling | fixed the number of audio streams available at audio list window (euronews)

Available at AZBox Snapshots as well.

This version now uses a customised world satellite list I created for Opensat so all issues related to the satellite list should now be resolved. Orbital positions with both C and Ku are separated as per the release notes and some satellite names have been adjusted accordingly (i.e. instead of Galaxy 14/AMC 21 for both C and Ku band slots @ 125W, it now simply has Galaxy 14 as the C-band satellite and AMC 21 as the Ku band satellite). I also added a separate Nimiq 1 satellite @ 91W with all TP's higher than 12200 in order to avoid slowing down Galaxy 17 Ku blind scans.

Please note that if you want to use this new satellite list, you will have to do a factory reset after installing the firmware and rescan all of your satellites again. If you prefer to use your existing satellite list, please make a backup of your antenna_list.dat and DVBS.dat files BEFORE installing this firmware update. You will then need to replace DVBS.sat in DISK2_backup after installing the firmware update to prevent your customised list from being replaced from doing a factory reset.

Please let me know if you have any questions in regards to this new firmware.

Regards,

pwrsurge
AzBox Canada

Good to see the issue of having C & KU satellites separated finally coming to fruition. Even better was fixing the satellite with no transponders listed so the sat/channel list corruption issue some were experiencing will hopefully not be an issue in the future.
Creating a proper satellite list is a time consuming event and not something to be taken lightly.

wow. finally a good sat list included from stock. id thank opensat but it seems pwrsurge deserves all the credit. too bad i run enigma2. haha.

crackt out,.

There are 121 Eastern Satellites listed in the receiver: C & KU
There are 109 Western Satellites listed in the receiver separated by C & KU designators.
There was even some work done to at least 1 transponder I have taken a look at that was corrected from the 0.9.5307 firmware.

Each satellite had at least 1 transponder in it.

These thing take time to get done properly and it is good to see it happening as this should help out those who were experiencing problems with their sat/channel list becoming corrupted at times.

List looks good, but I went back to my original list (also created by pwrsurge!) as I didn't want to have to re-scan in the 15 LNBs/satellites I have connected to the AZBox!

looks like i might be updateing firmware incorrectly.The firmware i downloaded onto my external usb HD is azbox-09.5308-patch.bin.Tryed two ways to load new firmware!First i plugged in ex usb dive into back usb port on the ultra then did a reboot!that didnt really do anything!just rebooted the box.Second try is that i went to settings changed firmware update from internet to usb then clicked on that!it found the new version and then i clicked again and it said upgrading with the spinning disk and after about 2 min a message came up saying failed to update.What am i doing wrong??

If you want to update off of your USB drive, you must first rename the azbox-0.9.5308-patch.bin on your USB drive to patch.bin. The receiver should then detect the firmware when you reboot it with the USB drive connected to the unit and allow you to update.

An alternate way to upgrade without a USB drive on an Internet connected unit is to go on the Firmware update option, press the green button and change the update URL to http://fw.azbox.ca and press OK twice. You should then see a menu of available software versions for installation.

Regards,

pwrsurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited:
Any chance that someone could get the East Limit reset on both the Gbox and Vbox controllers during blind scan fixed somewhere along the way??

Thanks for the help! Downloaded this latest firmware.I havent really looked for the changes yet!still have my N america sat list intact with all tps that i had blind scaned in the past.

so like a dumbass I master reset mine after loading the software.....why did I do that?
I've only got 3 satellite stored in mine (motor, motor2, C-Band) so spent 1/2 hour or so cleaning out 200+ satellites in the list

Iceberg, we all do that! I screwed up a new Traxix 3500 receiver by trying to upgrade to newest firmware. Forgot to have a folder in the harddrive and when the receiver went searching for that folder and couldn't find it, the 3500 became a useless brick. I am still sick about it!
At least your situation not a complete disaster...

Available at AZBox Snapshots as well.

This version now uses a customised world satellite list I created for Opensat so all issues related to the satellite list should now be resolved. Orbital positions with both C and Ku are separated as per the release notes and some satellite names have been adjusted accordingly (i.e. instead of Galaxy 14/AMC 21 for both C and Ku band slots @ 125W, it now simply has Galaxy 14 as the C-band satellite and AMC 21 as the Ku band satellite). I also added a separate Nimiq 1 satellite @ 91W with all TP's higher than 12200 in order to avoid slowing down Galaxy 17 Ku blind scans.

Please note that if you want to use this new satellite list, you will have to do a factory reset after installing the firmware and rescan all of your satellites again. If you prefer to use your existing satellite list, please make a backup of your antenna_list.dat and DVBS.dat files BEFORE installing this firmware update. You will then need to replace DVBS.sat in DISK2_backup after installing the firmware update to prevent your customised list from being replaced from doing a factory reset.

Please let me know if you have any questions in regards to this new firmware.

Regards,

pwrsurge
AzBox Canada

Great news pwrsurge. Do you know when the issue of the East limit freezing up every time you store a Satellite on the Premium Plus will be resolved? Only way to fix it now is to do a reboot in Antenna setup and this is very annoying.

Iceberg, we all do that! I screwed up a new Traxix 3500 receiver by trying to upgrade to newest firmware. Forgot to have a folder in the harddrive and when the receiver went searching for that folder and couldn't find it, the 3500 became a useless brick. I am still sick about it!
dang that sucks. NO way to bring it back to life?

At least your situation not a complete disaster...
I know. But after I did that I felt like a moron since my is "slaved" so it really didnt matter what the given satellites said.

Now if they would fix the Diseqc 1.2 issue with a KU motor I might reconsider using the list in there ;)

Ensure that when you load this new firmware (5308) that you perform the "format application area" in the process or else all the perks will not be properly installed. Performing just the database reset and or factory reset is not sufficient.

Insert the USB stick in your AZBox with the file renamed "patch" or "patch.bin" (which of these names depends upon your PC's set up). If your AZBox recognizes that there is an update file on your USB stick, then you renamed the file properly.

Next, when the menu appears for options to update the firmware, scroll to the option "format application area" and do that first. Then you will eventually be led back to the previous menu and you should pick update via USB and just let it do its thing. You will have to reset the resolution setting following this and then eject your USB stick. After that, you may procede to set up all the satellites and optionional features that you normally use to personalize the box to your taste.

Remember, always back up your original files before starting! Just so that you can fall back on that if need be.

At a brief glance (I haven't spent a lot of time with 5308 just yet) it looks like they did a really good job with the satellite list! Should eventually delete all the European satellites from the list if you are in NA or vice versa (just to reduce the clutter). But, I'd say the NA sat list looks really good for the most part.

RADAR

I fully admit to not keeping up with things but is it now OK to delete the euro sats with the AZbox remote or is it still preferable to do it via PC?

I fully admit to not keeping up with things but is it now OK to delete the euro sats with the AZbox remote or is it still preferable to do it via PC?

mr3p,

It has always been fine to delete the satellites with the remote. The problem is that you must utilize the procedure to "North Americanize" your list (or "Europeanize" your list if you are on the other side of the pond) which requires you to use the PC. The reason for this is that the DVBS.dat file is stored in two places. The working file or the one that you use to navigate sats and channels with is on DISK2, but there is a backup (mirror) file on DISK1. If you use the remote ONLY to delete the sats, they are only deleted from the working copy on DISK2. The backup copy remains as it was originally and can create conflicts at times. The "North Americanizing" procedure sets BOTH files so that they are identical because it writes the same information to both files.

The main improvements in the last two or three firmware revisions has been to clean up the corrupt satellite listings and then to separate any one satellite that offers dual band signals (C and Ku) into two separate satellite listings. This makes it much more user friendly. These improvements have not changed the fact that there is still a back-up file that must be addressed with the ACC program. I do not foresee that changing as there is a reason that they require this (although I am unsure what that is). I hope that makes sense to you.

RADAR

Thanks RADAR. I fullly understand what you mean by the two copies of DVBS.dat. I guess I was sort of hoping this firmware allowed the remote to modify the backup copy as well. They might as well just remove the option for adding/deleting sats by remote ;)

Iceberg, there's no way to revive the Traxis 3500. Called the company and was told it would cost as much to buy another one just to reprogram it back.
Glad to see the new firmware for the Azbox receivers!!! At least there's support on these receivers, especially with the Ultra being discontinued.