New Firmware: YouTube issue resolved

Indeed, there is more. As they develope a "daily" snapshot as it is so called, they test it first and if it doesn't work out, they retire the number and save the file as an archive and move on to the next. They don't release a daily firmware if it fails to do something they were working on. No sense making it available if it isn't any better. Therefore, the 0.9.5209 is proabably identical to 0.9.5020 with the youtube fix. All the missing version numbers in between were probably deemed not worthy to present to the public.

This is the most common way of doing it and makes perfect sense.
Re-writing over one that did not work properly may cause more problems down the line so you begin anew from the last good starting point and rename the file to a higher version. The missing ones you end up seeing in-between the releases are usually the ones that had some flaw or defect and were not worthy enough to put out to the public.

Well, went back to 5020 after finding a new glitch in the channel list. While it always has been a bit quirky when re-naming channels (if you re-scan the satellite even 1 minute later it reverts to its original name), now when you re-name a channel it does several extra unwanted things. First off, after renaming one channel with a spelling mistake, I went back and re-did it. It would take only until I exited the page or scrolled up the channel list, and then the spelling mistake re-name would reappear. Several edits produced the same glitch. As well, if you highlighted the newly re-named channel in the list, the usual satellite/transponder information line at the bottom was no longer there for any channel renamed with 5209 (previous re-named channels were OK). Further, when on a newly re-named channel, when I went to the channel list, it showed it from the beginning of the list, not from where the channel was. One more thing I noticed (before I gave up on 5209) was that you couldn't delete the re-named channel from the Favourites list, it would disappear when first deleted, but if you scrolled up the list and then back down, it would re-appear!

Went back to 5020, re-named the channels, deleted the unwanted channel from the Favourites list, no problems whatsoever (unless I re-scan!).

You guys are probably right, I keep forgetting this is beta... Version 0.9.* is pretty low down there. Significant changes would result in a version 1 at the very least.

This is the most common way of doing it and makes perfect sense.
Re-writing over one that did not work properly may cause more problems down the line so you begin anew from the last good starting point and rename the file to a higher version. The missing ones you end up seeing in-between the releases are usually the ones that had some flaw or defect and were not worthy enough to put out to the public.

Well, went back to 5020 after finding a new glitch in the channel list. While it always has been a bit quirky when re-naming channels (if you re-scan the satellite even 1 minute later it reverts to its original name), now when you re-name a channel it does several extra unwanted things. First off, after renaming one channel with a spelling mistake, I went back and re-did it. It would take only until I exited the page or scrolled up the channel list, and then the spelling mistake re-name would reappear. Several edits produced the same glitch. As well, if you highlighted the newly re-named channel in the list, the usual satellite/transponder information line at the bottom was no longer there for any channel renamed with 5209 (previous re-named channels were OK). Further, when on a newly re-named channel, when I went to the channel list, it showed it from the beginning of the list, not from where the channel was. One more thing I noticed (before I gave up on 5209) was that you couldn't delete the re-named channel from the Favourites list, it would disappear when first deleted, but if you scrolled up the list and then back down, it would re-appear!

Went back to 5020, re-named the channels, deleted the unwanted channel from the Favourites list, no problems whatsoever (unless I re-scan!).

Keith Brannen,

Here is a tip for those problems (regardless of the firmware version).
Use the ACC v1.1 to upload/download the channel/satellite/DVBS lists from/to the AZBox.
Use the AZBoxEdit version 0.9.2880a to add, edit or delete your channels, TPs or sats.
Do this as opposed to attempting to edit any item in your list with your remote.
It makes a world of difference.

RADAR

ok i dont like to write to much because my english isnt strong and one person who likes to give me a hard time ... today someone only post saying there is a new software for AZ box ... so if you like it then load it but if you don't like it then dont complain about the box because right its the best box in the market and no box is perfect. i'm free to air since 1992 and i've never seen any box that was perfect.

Keith Brannen,

Here is a tip for those problems (regardless of the firmware version).
Use the ACC v1.1 to upload/download the channel/satellite/DVBS lists from/to the AZBox.
Use the AZBoxEdit version 0.9.2880a to add, edit or delete your channels, TPs or sats.
Do this as opposed to attempting to edit any item in your list with your remote.
It makes a world of difference.

RADAR

LOL! Since AZBoxEdit version 0.9.2880a won't install, and version c has overflow errors, it's even more flaky (for me, anyhow) than the firmware! (#C Channel Master, where are you when we need you?)

Anyhow, the point is, version 5209 definitely has more problems (and they are fairly serious problems as they affect the performance of the channel list) than 5020, for those of us who want to do such a simple thing as re-name a channel.

Last edited:
ok i dont like to write to much because my english isnt strong and one person who likes to give me a hard time ... today someone only post saying there is a new software for AZ box ... so if you like it then load it but if you don't like it then dont complain about the box because right its the best box in the market and no box is perfect. i'm free to air since 1992 and i've never seen any box that was perfect.

Tanka,

Your English is just fine (not perfect ;) but just fine) and you said it very well! Nothing is PERFECT, but it can still be the best.

LOL, if it was perfect, no one would be buying anything else. Well, they aren't doing that, are they?

RADAR

LOL! Since AZBoxEdit version 0.9.2880a won't install, and version c has overflow errors, it's even more flaky (for me, anyhow) than the firmware! (#C Channel Master, where are you when we need you?)

Anyhow, the point is, version 5209 definitely has more problems (and they are fairly serious problems as they affect the performance of the channel list) than 5020, for those of us who want to do such a simple thing as re-name a channel.

Keith Brannen,

I know and I hear your laments. It would be nice if everything was perfect, but as Tanka stated, there has never been a PERFECT FTA receiver. Not since he has been involved in FTA, not since I have been involved in FTA and not since FTA has been involved. It's the same with home PCs. Sometimes I would very much like to upgrade my operating system to WINDOWS 3.11!

Ha Ha! :)

RADAR

Keith Brannen,

I know and I hear your laments. It would be nice if everything was perfect, but as Tanka stated, there has never been a PERFECT FTA receiver. Not since he has been involved in FTA, not since I have been involved in FTA and not since FTA has been involved. It's the same with home PCs. Sometimes I would very much like to upgrade my operating system to WINDOWS 3.11!

Ha Ha! :)

RADAR

Unfortunately, the quirks in the new firmware make it worse than the previous version. That is a step backward, and it really shouldn't happen. A new firmware should fix problems (or at worse, leave them as is), not create new ones (I wonder whether they rushed it due to the YouTube problem). With 5020 I have been able to account for the quirks (in the channel list, and others), and have always found workarounds. There is no workaround for the channel list problems in 5209 (if you still want to re-name channels, which I do).

The AZBox is a great FTA box, and I am extremely glad I got one, just disappointed/frustrated with some aspects of the firmware and updates. As far as a perfect FTA box, I certainly felt my Pansat 3500SD was close to one!

And Windows 3.11 was a great OS and fairly stable (especially for Windows releases!), it was a long time before I finally upgraded to Windows 98!

I was happy with the 0.9.5020 firmware for months. I did not even realize that there was a problem with YouTube until it suddenly appeared as a new firmware release. My internet connection is too slow for that pupose so I don't bother testing it. I know that I would prefer DSL but I cannot obtain it right now. I have to play with what is available and just be satisfied with it for now.

I don't mind so much. I can get the job done with my AZBox, even if it isn't as fast as others.

:) still happy

RADAR

I noticed too many quirks with 5209 and reverted my receivers back to earlier versions of firmware.
Three receivers here all using different versions now.
Each receiver still has You Tube playing as I installed a minor fix for each receiver using the Maz editor.
Took less than 2 minutes to complete.
You can download the zipped file from here and after unzipping open the read me text file for instructions.
This is only for firmware versions before 0.9.5209 and will work on any Azbox. The only drawback for some people will be the instructions are written only for using Maz to complete it.

I noticed too many quirks with 5209 and reverted my receivers back to earlier versions of firmware.
Three receivers here all using different versions now.
Each receiver still has You Tube playing as I installed a minor fix for each receiver using the Maz editor.
Took less than 2 minutes to complete.
You can download the zipped file from here and after unzipping open the read me text file for instructions.
This is only for firmware versions before 0.9.5209 and will work on any Azbox. The only drawback for some people will be the instructions are written only for using Maz to complete it.

Maz does work somewhat for me (but not in English!), though the only thing I've used in it is the telnet. All the computers/devices on my LAN have to manually login to access the internet (username/password), and since there doesn't appear to be this function in the AZBox, then the YouTube function is not available to me anyways, so don't need the fix.

Maz does work somewhat for me (but not in English!), though the only thing I've used in it is the telnet. All the computers/devices on my LAN have to manually login to access the internet (username/password), and since there doesn't appear to be this function in the AZBox, then the YouTube function is not available to me anyways, so don't need the fix.

Keith,

Don't laugh at me on this, please. But, do you have WINDOWS VISTA on your PC? If so, just put a disc in the DVD drive, any disc (just not a blank one). Give it a little time to be registered, then start your MAZEdit program.

This is a total comedy! I could not get MazEdit to load up on my windows Vista PC. It kept telling me to insert a disk. I didn't have a disc for the MazEdit program! I was a litle pissed off at the time so I just stuck a DVD in my DVD drive and MazEdit booted up completely and has worked ever since, in English. If I shut down my PC and reboot it, and I try to restart MazEdit, it asks me to insert a disk. Again. Any disk. So I do. It works again!

I have a good idea about this, I think I know what is going on, But, I am not an IT guru or a PC guru so I cannot explain it.

If one of you can explain this in laymens terms, go right ahead. I am listening!

RADAR

Keith,

Don't laugh at me on this, please. But, do you have WINDOWS VISTA on your PC? If so, just put a disc in the DVD drive, any disc (just not a blank one). Give it a little time to be registered, then start your MAZEdit program.

No, I'm not running Vista, and Maz doesn't ask for a disc when it starts. But I just discovered something which is very similar to your "quirk"! When I run Maz it normally gives a "list out of bounds" error and then I click OK and the program runs, but there are no languages at all that you can choose. However, while writing this post, and on the internet (which I haven't been on any other time I have run Maz since I have only used it to connect to the AZBox) I ran it to detail in this post the quirks I get. But, there was no "out of bound" error, and I had a list of languages to choose (as well as firmware lists, etc from the internet)! If I drop the internet connection and run Maz, it gives the error again and "forgets" my choice of English (which it does remember every time I run it while on the internet). Anyhow, sounds like your disc request is similar to my "it won't run right unless connected to the internet"! Got to love quirky programs!

Got new FW working. What causes this problem with U Tube, since last time I checked it was working....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)