New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
To get back on topic.........

they have some samples of programming now on the website. Scroll over the left pane, if it turns yellow you can watch a sample.

Looks like they really involved with what they are doing. It is great that they have a sample of the programming for people to see.

update today...we even get a plug :)

News Release: 1/31/2010

FreeDbs.org concerns,

#1. We do not want to have any misconceptions!!! Please read Twice if you are new to the Free To Air market . Channels that you can receive now. "Click here" Our channels are not up yet, though we will be streaming in the coming months. From: Mark Mauk : Assistant Program manger, Mike Spencer :Assistant Director.
#2. How long does it take for you to put your channels up ? For us to lease a transponder on a current satellite and not counting other Logistics - 3 hours quoted.
#3.Where is your signal going to be ? This is information that will be released later. Satelliteguys.us and other Sites are very knowledgeable on this subject.
#4. Please read all the information on our site and remember , We are very, very, very conservative. God bless all that read . Leon Napier : Program Manger
#5. From the Executive Producer : Please be patient as we organize our channels.

update today...we even get a plug :)

News Release: 1/31/2010

FreeDbs.org concerns,

#1. We do not want to have any misconceptions!!! Please read Twice if you are new to the Free To Air market . Channels that you can receive now. "Click here" Our channels are not up yet, though we will be streaming in the coming months. From: Mark Mauk : Assistant Program manger, Mike Spencer :Assistant Director.
#2. How long does it take for you to put your channels up ? For us to lease a transponder on a current satellite and not counting other Logistics - 3 hours quoted.
#3.Where is your signal going to be ? This is information that will be released later. Satelliteguys.us and other Sites are very knowledgeable on this subject.
#4. Please read all the information on our site and remember , We are very, very, very conservative. God bless all that read . Leon Napier : Program Manger
#5. From the Executive Producer : Please be patient as we organize our channels.

We have truly arrived! Cool...

I wish they would at least give an estimated or a target for starting their service. Spring? Summer? Fall? Just a general idea would be nice.
I think the best estimate that addresses your question can be found in today's update.

Our channels are not up yet, though we will be streaming in the coming months.

Like everyone else, I'm anxious! Looks like it will be summer at best, and then we still have that tricky word "streaming" - which I take to mean via the internet.

I have a couple ideas.

First, Why don't we make this thread a sticky. 26 pages id pretty sticky isn't it?

And second, maybe we could get a SatelliteGuys channel. Maybe with content to be voted on by the members. As I recall Radar had the idea earlier about a startup channel. Forgive me if I'm out of place here Radar, but perhaps you would consider contacting them about partnering with them on a channel like the ones that were posted late last year. I know you would have our support.

Hi all..this is my first post(I have done a lot of reading here but just decided to register)
I must say as an subscription service installer by trade and a "free media"(OTA,youtube,FTA,etc) lover at heart this is exciting news.
I've read before that some FTA units had recorders in them.
Are these units going to be compatible with FreeDBS?
If so does any of these recorders have an ATSC tuner as well?
Throw in an internet connection for youtube etc.. and I will say goodbye to my overpriced underwatched subscription service!

Last edited:
welcome :wave

yes some units have either a PVR built in or capable of adding one (an external hard drive). Yes they would be compatible
a few HD units have a ASTC tuner. Coolsat 8100 is an example (and has a PVR in it...the 8000 does not)

I'll add MY welcome to Satguys.us also.

I have two Conaxsat DUO receivers, they are both hooked to external HDDs and BOTH record (and btw Timeshift up to 3 hours that I KNOW of) and I have been pleased with these OTHER than the fact that blind scanning is a REAL PAIN.

I mention these receivers since the web page for FreeDBS includes these receivers as all ready to go with factory default bins installed.

I have a feeling that any FTA receiver set to factory specs will work and if they are also equipped for external recording or Timeshift, you are good to go.

My two cents
Photto

I have a couple ideas.

First, Why don't we make this thread a sticky. 26 pages id pretty sticky isn't it?

And second, maybe we could get a SatelliteGuys channel. Maybe with content to be voted on by the members. As I recall Radar had the idea earlier about a startup channel. Forgive me if I'm out of place here Radar, but perhaps you would consider contacting them about partnering with them on a channel like the ones that were posted late last year. I know you would have our support.

LoTech,

I have emailed their program director and mentioned some ideas. I haven't thought too much about asking to partner-up with them beyond this. They seem to have the right ideas and the backing and the where-with-all to do what I had wished to. I think I can do more in simply supporting them and providing "word-of-mouth" advertising to accelerate the support of their endeavor than I can in any other way. However, I might think about asking if they would like some sort of "web-cam" type service as an extra fill-in. Something like a scene from my local river, where you might see canoers, deer, beaver, eagles, wild turkeys or crazy people taking their clothes off and jumpin' in the river (I don't mean "naked" - I mean like a Tome Sawyer / Huck Finn type of scene). You know, swingin' off a rope from a tree into the deep water and making a splash!

Hi all..this is my first post(I have done a lot of reading here but just decided to register)
I must say as an subscription service installer by trade and a "free media"(OTA,youtube,FTA,etc) lover at heart this is exciting news.
I've read before that some FTA units had recorders in them.
Are these units going to be compatible with FreeDBS?
If so does any of these recorders have an ATSC tuner as well?
Throw in an internet connection for youtube etc.. and I will say goodbye to my overpriced underwatched subscription service!

welcome :wave

yes some units have either a PVR built in or capable of adding one (an external hard drive). Yes they would be compatible
a few HD units have a ASTC tuner. Coolsat 8100 is an example (and has a PVR in it...the 8000 does not)

Wallfish,

Yes, as Iceberg states, there are some newer and more elaborate FTA receivers that allow you to do all sorts of things. From PVRs to time shifting, to having terrestrial ATSC tuners or cable tuners in conjunction with DVB-S/S2 tuners and You-tube, email and web browsers. Some of this is still "work-In-progress" stuff that isn't perfected yet, but for the most part, these functions are available. The best example is the AZBox family (by OpenSat). I have one of these and although it isn't easy to navigate some of the options, it does function to a limited capacity.

The FreeDBS proposed transmissions will definitely work with this receiver. At fist, it will also be available to older stuff with just DVB-S transmissions, for a short time, but then they want to switch over to DVB-S2 for greater channel capacity at a more efficient and less expensive price, so a person would eventually have to upgrade their receiver as they grow. This is based upon their (FreeDBS) own planning and estimation so far. Not certain how accurate this will be at the initial stage, but eventually, it will be necessary (according to their own reports) to have a DVB-S2 capable receiver.

Personally, I am just watching and waiting and feeding them any ideas and suggestions that I can and hoping that they are listening to me and everyone else at the same time.

RADAR

We will be considering other channels soon, right now we are building the channels we have. Then we will be looking at overseas channels that were in the free and are now pay only. Yes your channel was considered at the onset before the startup of the Org. Remember any number we give out is very conservative. If you want your channel get it together with 20 minutes segments or 25 minutes with built in ads. for yourself and contact Leon Napier on the contact page. God bless and we will be talking to you soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts