New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I hope not because if it's on 83 In Puerto Rico we will not catch it!

Looks like you could get it with a large enough dish? There are some of the Bahamas very close to but out of the footprint. Sometimes with a large enough dish one can squeak enough signal if they are close enough. At least that is what I have been told. I'm not sure however what the exact limitations are. Anyway, here is the Ku footprint of the 83 degree slot bird. Like I said, maybe , maybe not.

Code:
http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?lat=48.01932418480118&lng=-90.3955078125&zoom=2&beam=5194&type=normal&name=Temporary
I hope you are lucky and can get it. If not, I am truly sorry my friend. Have a great day! :)

Puerto Rico was listed as one of the areas to receive in the beginning but now we have been removed from the listed areas , hope we can get it as I need more english tv , not that I am complaing but telemundo novellas with english subtitles are very entertaining.....:) yet I need/want more. Hope we won't have to go to big as I have 4 1.2 meters up now and a bud addition would require a shoehorn and a prayer

Based on the field strength maps at Lyngsat, the statement that it might be possible to receive on a 22-inch dish, and the lack of Puerto Rico coverage, if I had to bet on a satellite I'd pick 83W. But I don't know how accurate Lyngsat's field strength maps are. Sometimes I've looked at other sites and they haven't agreed with them.

tracker1998 said:
Hey Wayne-O.
The groundhog said only 6 weeks of winter a while back ago for us in Canada.
Waiting to hear from you.
I must have "cabin fever" up here in cold, cold Canada?

ynnedibanez said:
that is a fantastic choice for an operating system, ive been running ubuntu for a few years now and love it, it is by far my favorite.
my wife loves free games and facebook and i had all kinds of problems with cleaning viruses and add ware off of it every week. and after several times of formatting and reloading windows i loaded ubuntu on it.
best move i ever made, this thing has run great for a couple years now.
hope it works as well for you guys

LoTech said:
I tried Ubuntu. It's OK, but I prefer Debian myself. It seems to perform better on older machines.

I don't see where any of the above has anything to do with the title of this thread. If you want to discuss the weather or computer talk, there are other appropriate sections for this type discussion. Please use those sections, as this type discussion is drifting off course and does not relate to thread title. Not sure why these were'nt deleted. What goes for one person should go for everyone. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you could get it with a large enough dish? There are some of the Bahamas very close to but out of the footprint. Sometimes with a large enough dish one can squeak enough signal if they are close enough. At least that is what I have been told. I'm not sure however what the exact limitations are. Anyway, here is the Ku footprint of the 83 degree slot bird. Like I said, maybe , maybe not.

Code:
http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?lat=48.01932418480118&lng=-90.3955078125&zoom=2&beam=5194&type=normal&name=Temporary
I hope you are lucky and can get it. If not, I am truly sorry my friend. Have a great day! :)

I tried to get RTV with a six foot and nothing! Thanks!:)

I tried to get RTV with a six foot and nothing! Thanks!:)

If that is a C-band dish, then I am afraid that AMC-3 Cband with a S-2 receiver would be your only chance at RTV. There are plenty on that bird. Maybe a possibility? Don't know, just suggesting my friend. Have a great day! :)
I just visited the freeDBS site. No more updates yet. Waiting impatiently for transmission info! ;)

I don't see where any of the above has anything to do with the title of this thread. If you want to discuss the weather or computer talk, there are other appropriate sections for this type discussion. Please use those sections, as this type discussion is drifting off course and does not relate to thread title. Not sure why these were'nt deleted. What goes for one person should go for everyone. Thank you.

My post was only two lines. If you had bothered to read the second line, you would have noticed that it was indeed related to the post. If we are to the point where we can't make an off topic comment as part of a related post, then it is truly a sad day. I think that where the problem begins is when posts become inflammatory, derogatory, or politically motivated. Remember there are many people here, and these forums are not the purview of any single member.

Excuse me??
Last time I checked we go off topic sometimes but we usually get back to the topic at hand. No need to get all pissy about it.

We dont need the forum police to tell us what we can and cannot do in a thread. If it had got out of hand the staff (that would be me) would have either moved the posts to a new thread or mentioned to get back on topic. I dont delete posts unless it is necessary (like when you posted all that crap about the company who is trying to make this dream a reality) or asking how to steal.

"Free TV" has like 21 posts?..and has a right to be "forum police?"..I think not..I think that the company in question is at least trying to do something..And should be applauded for it..and Iceberg, I think you should be applauded for all you do around here..I appreciate you being here and helping folks out..

Edit:I should preface that saying by stating that no one has a right to be Forum Police except those (like Iceberg) who have been put in that position..And it is HIS call..

Maybe … I’m hoping … is that a crack I see in the dam?

Could it really be a cam card capable FTA option in the US that’s reliable with 1M dish? I feel my wallet getting a little loose folks. With HBO testing the waters of IPTV … maybe … just maybe someone’s about ready to sell me the programming I want and not some BS bundle at inflated prices.

When this venture is finally up and running I think it deserves the support of all of US to get the word out on the national news organizations. I know the big guys won’t like the competition so my suggestion would be to target printed media first. If this story breaks in the likes of USA TODAY, The Washington Post, or LA Times, then FOX news, CNN, and MSNBC won’t like being left out.

Considering the “Mission Statement” freedbs.org has, an “estimated over 20 million free to air satellite receivers located in homes throughout the U.S. and Canada” represents a LOT of potential readers and viewers. I’d say they’d probably remember where they heard it first.

This looks like a win-win situation in the making for the consumer. It may be too early to say but I see a future glint of content providers fishing for options of their own. Could the big 2 finally be forced into consider giving the CONSUMER what THEY want?

Last edited:
I've been watching this with interest. It appears to be legit. They update their news regularly and it appears they are making progress.

I agree with warpedbored. They seem to be taking this very seriously, making progress and there seems to be some pretty high hopes of this service getting launched.

I am wondering, what kind of bandwith they will be using for all of their 20 FTA subchannels?:what

Will it be in 10 to 30 MBs ranges, in term of video picture's quality and as for signal strenth how much FEC will be used so the FTA receivers can lock it in?

Any ideas?

They could probably do 2 transponders with 10 channels on each
3/4 FEC...thats what the stuff on 97 uses and the non globecast stuff usually looks good

Could it really be a cam card capable FTA option in the US that’s reliable with 1M dish?

I won't say no.
I feel my wallet getting a little loose folks. With HBO testing the waters of IPTV … maybe … just maybe someone’s about ready to sell me the programming I want and not some BS bundle at inflated prices.
I would not count on major programming sources to join ship, at least until the platform proves itself. They are pretty well happy with not having not to deal with consumer CA systems and subscriptions, passing that on to providers, and keepung their "feeds" just for those providers.
When this venture is finally up and running I think it deserves the support of all of US to get the word out on the national news organizations. I know the big guys won’t like the competition so my suggestion would be to target printed media first. If this story breaks in the likes of USA TODAY, The Washington Post, or LA Times, then FOX news, CNN, and MSNBC won’t like being left out.
You have to consider the ownership of prrint media, int hat they might have TV interests competitive with an FTA service.
Considering the “Mission Statement” freedbs.org has, an “estimated over 20 million free to air satellite receivers located in homes throughout the U.S. and Canada” represents a LOT of potential readers and viewers. I’d say they’d probably remember where they heard it first.

This looks like a win-win situation in the making for the consumer. It may be too early to say but I see a future glint of content providers fishing for options of their own. Could the big 2 finally be forced into consider giving the CONSUMER what THEY want?
That is an outside possibility.

That is an outside possibility.
Bearing in mind, of course, that the consumer's choices are not only dictated by the vendor providing access, but also by the content provider's bundling requirements. This is an area where some of the mergers have resulted in less choice for the consumer (an interesting discussion for another tread).

Hopefully ventures like Free DBS, IPTV, and others will lead to greater choice for the consumer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts