New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wall fish you just said something very important !! .. The state of the economy and the fact that not everyone can afford a pay tv subscription , as a satellite tv equipment dealer I can also relate to the need for a free tv service , I dont know how it is for dish dealers in the mainland u.s. but over here in Puerto Rico sales have plumited to the ground after january due to the policy charlie has of not wanting to reniew contracts contracts to existing costomers , who want a new offer with its offer for new subscribers only , the fact of an obligated 2 yr contract with a 2 unit set up and then charging $ 100.00 for a extra receiver after the 1.st 2 , then with the introducion of direct tv prepaid many people opt for that kind of service once you tell them that there is a 24 month comitment required by dish, the 1.st thing they tell you I dont want a 24 month contract if i have to buy a 3 & 4 th receiver and then get charged a extra $ 7.00 a month for those lines , every one who come to the store the 1.st thing they ask is if there are any iks units or what can i get for free , so I hope this service takes off .. I for one will be one of the 1.st to jump on this kind of tv programing

I am finally back after being away from FTA for a while. As far as freedbs getting this thing off the ground, I want to say one thing. I am sure that a lot of people didn't think GloryStar could accomplish what they have done thus far. So I can have some hope with freedbs.

I am finally back after being away from FTA for a while. As far as freedbs getting this thing off the ground, I want to say one thing. I am sure that a lot of people didn't think GloryStar could accomplish what they have done thus far. So I can have some hope with freedbs.

That's true about Glorystar!

Welcome on board DJ Cookie!:D

FreeDBS will be more successful than GloryStar in my opinion due to variety of the content that will be made available. I have been thinking that someone was going to do something like this sooner or later.

My preference -- I would prefer seeing the title of the next segment in the EPG with no pop-up screens at all. (Hate the pop-up.) If no EPG is available, then, well, fiddle-dee-dee, I gueeeesss I could make do with the pop-up. Sigh!

I agree, what's next is what epg is for. I find those popups anoying. If I want to know what on where, I go to a guide. I run vdr and can bring up an on screen guide with the video in a window, or even access vdr through a web plugin which gets me the guide as well as let me setup/modify auto searches and timers. Currently with atsc, It automaticly finds and sets up timers for about a dozen shows. With some of the broadcaster now sending epg 3-4 days out, Timers are setup 3-4 days out. If it sets up a timer for a show I've seen or picks up something I don't want because of key words in the search, I can delete the timer there.

FreeDBS is a great concept and hopefully they will launch soon. I am looking forward to service their viewers. This will be a good thing for our industry.

I just noticed their time-line on their page Free Direct Broadcast Satellite Network has older dates on top. It is better if they have latest dates on top. Kind like they have in their News Release section.

Any plans to carry ETHNIC channels on FreeDBS? We get a inquiries from people about French, German, and UK channels.

That's true about Glorystar!

Welcome on board DJ Cookie!:D
Hi Nelson

Glorystar is a perfect example of how an independant satellite tv providor can be sucscesful , they provide the tv channels for free but they make there money through the equipment they sell and through the donations they get from the viewers
who suport them
Now here is the reason I personaly say that free dbs will be more bigger than many nay sayers think

1. no contracts it's a 1 time set up charge so thats a win win situation
2. no charge backs due to what was just stated in reason no # 1. it's a win win situation
3. the clients dont have to worry about being held liable for a hit to there credit card if they loose there jobs becouse of the one time charge and no monthly fee
4. once people start viewing the channels and the tv producers see this , that will turn into revenue from the sponsors once the sponsors come in it's going to be bye bye of the satellite tv monopoly
5. if i was a satellite tv dealer I would sugest jumping on this new venture
6. I smell the pay tv providors buying bottles of pepto bismol once this market start becoming huge :bow

p.s. sadoun please contact me I'm interested in your sathawk receivers

The pay tv providers will do this as well if they see that it is doing well and since they pay tv providers are so huge they will swap up the non-profit venture's efforts. Once the non-profit is gone then they will cease the free stations. Rinse and repeat as needed. Or maybe pay tv providers will keep the channels up to prevent it from happening again.

But only if we allow it, the pay providers can't make us watch what they have to offer, and they can't make us buy what they are selling.
Terry

That is true, but think of all of those satellite receivers out there on the market. I bet there are way more Dish/Directv receivers out there than FTA receivers (in the U.S.). The thing is most are probably leased though. If people bought their own Dish/Directv equipment then it would save the satellite providers from having to come up with the money themselves. Later on this could lead to subscriptions for the providers. They could require MPEG-4 equipment in order to get those FTA stations. It would be VERY VERY easy for them to start doing this. They got oodles of space and it wouldnt' take much.

That is true, but think of all of those satellite receivers out there on the market. I bet there are way more Dish/Directv receivers out there than FTA receivers (in the U.S.). The thing is most are probably leased though. If people bought their own Dish/Directv equipment then it would save the satellite providers from having to come up with the money themselves. Later on this could lead to subscriptions for the providers. They could require MPEG-4 equipment in order to get those FTA stations. It would be VERY VERY easy for them to start doing this. They got oodles of space and it wouldnt' take much.

But I'm not sure the people who would know/find out about freedbs would be the same people who would be looking for a dish or directv receiver, and I am not sure dish and direc would advertise free channels, just buy the receiver, but you never know.
Terry

Dish / Direct certainly wouldn't want to offer enough content to sway people to not subscribe to any of their packages.

Dish / Direct certainly wouldn't want to offer enough content to sway people to not subscribe to any of their packages.

It would be great if Direct had a free nationwide channel with some interesting programming (a sampler channel?) and throw in a 1/2 hour of news nightly. Like a giveaway "loss leader" channel...they could make the all the commercials Direct TV ads. This way non subs could watch it and maybe end up subscribing to Direct. (Dish could do this too). All one would need is a deactivated receiver and a dish to view...

I tell you what I would like to see is freedbs join up with glorystar and have all their channels on one satellite.

I agree with what msrebel was saying and have wondered if perhaps they talked about teaming up since it was family oriented content. This would entice even more people to get the service to watch each other's content.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)