New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When Freedbs switches to MPEG4 exclusively, will viewers not only have to get a new Set Top Box, but also a four foot dish as well? And what will happen to viewers who live in deed restricted areas where dishes larger than 3 foot are not exempted by the FCC? Or will freedbs have a power boost in signal so a four foot dish is not required to receive MPEG4 properly? I have seen some comments that a smaller 33" or 36" dish may not work properly with MPEG4.

Any comments?

You don't necessarily need that large a dish to get DVB-S2 or MPEG-4. I get all the channels on 125W (which are S2) at 99Q on a 31 inch dish and a CS8000. I have also picked up a couple channels on Satmex 6 that are MPEG-4 ( I don't know if they are still there) with good quality. I guess it all depends on the power that they broadcast at, and maybe the symbol rate. Montana PBS still gives me some trouble from time to time with the low symbol rate.

Dunno, I've been monitoring this for a while now, not here, but their website and some other stuff I've read online and to be honest, if it's free, then I'm all for it. You can watch it if you want or not if you don't want too. The choice is yours since it's suppose to be FREE and there are buttons you can use to go elsewhere.

I'm optimistic even for the pay service as I'm for anything that will mess with d!ck networks and direct tv. The fact that they will have "PPV" stuff makes it even more appealing since that's a sort of ala carte deal.

So from the outside looking in (cuz I'm a new guy here) I say lets just wait and see what they have to offer before we crucify them. ;)

Dunno, I've been monitoring this for a while now, not here, but their website and some other stuff I've read online and to be honest, if it's free, then I'm all for it. You can watch it if you want or not if you don't want too. The choice is yours since it's suppose to be FREE and there are buttons you can use to go elsewhere.

I'm optimistic even for the pay service as I'm for anything that will mess with d!ck networks and direct tv. The fact that they will have "PPV" stuff makes it even more appealing since that's a sort of ala carte deal.

So from the outside looking in (cuz I'm a new guy here) I say lets just wait and see what they have to offer before we crucify them. ;)

crucify? I thought I asked a legitimate question...........

They haven't mentioned anything about DVB-S2. Those are the signals that are hard to get. We'll have to see if they switch to DVB-S2 eventually though. They have less to worry about a switch to S2 than other channels, because on their box, a proprietary channel guide might mean they don't need blind scan, which not all the DVB-S2 receivers support.

crucify? I thought I asked a legitimate question...........

Not aimed specifically at you Bill, just a generic statement asking that everyone wait to see what is offered is all. It's one thing for ppl to bad mouth a pay service, but it's entirely different when it costs us nothing to begin with. BTW, love your SIG! Haven't bought the rotor yet but do get 15 HD channels free that look better than anything else that I get, BUD or otherwise! ;-)

It's nice that this receiver has switch and motor control. Are the globecast and daystar STBs single satellite only? I don't see a proprietary epg though

Globecast is a crappy receiver with no motor and no diseqc control (last I checked)
Daystar has their own receiver? I thought they used a Glorystar receiver

Globecast is a crappy receiver with no motor and no diseqc control (last I checked)
Daystar has their own receiver? I thought they used a Glorystar receiver

doo doo head me meant to say Glorystar

Anyway, It's nice to see their preferred STB has some FTA functionality. If new purchaser/viewers see there is more to their receivers than just FreeDBS that can only help to build interest in the hobby.

doo doo head me meant to say Glorystar

Anyway, It's nice to see their preferred STB has some FTA functionality. If new purchaser/viewers see there is more to their receivers than just FreeDBS that can only help to build interest in the hobby.

Glorystar receivers have full FTA functionality

yeah they have a Glorystar mode that loads the G* channels and settings and a "Hobbyist" setting that is a full function receiver (and a DAMN good one too) ;)

I don't have a clue,but do you think they are stupid enough to post everything so the competition will know?

WHAT competition? As far as anyone knows, they plan to carry a COMPLETELY UNIQUE set of channels, NOT compete with D* and E*.

WHAT competition? As far as anyone knows, they plan to carry a COMPLETELY UNIQUE set of channels, NOT compete with D* and E*.

I think you're playing with me,but just in case it is not obvious to you,people will drop their other providers to save money with a free provider even if it is not on the same level.The ppv will be a direct threat as well.Anything else you need spelled out??

I don't see this as any threat or competition to any other providers. I've tried to sell people on the idea of watching fta satellite tv for free. I've tried to sell people on the idea of internet streaming tv for free. It always comes down to one or two news channels or sports channels that they absolutely have to have. Dish or cable has those and therefore they will not change. Local channels are also a must and their eyes glaze over when you tell them that they can get that with an antenna. People who pay a lot of money to have dish or cable will continue to do so. A very very small percentage may defect.

The only wild card here is the ppv. I'm very curious what will be available. If there is some good stuff there you may see some folks who can't afford the other pay services, who currently just use an antenna, they may add freedbs. From personal experience though, I can tell you, it is going to be a tough sell. There is a great deal of free content now. Why aren't people dropping their monthly bills?

All of this speculation is irrelevant until there is a signal to talk about though.

In response

Manhattan-Digital in response;

First I want to give thanks to Satellite Guys for hosting these forums. I find people helping people understand the problems they face with a stranger’s help, is nothing but American!

I greatly appreciate the people that have supported FreeDBS.org and hopefully you will give Manhattan-Digital the same level understanding of a new product that is being presented before you.

While there are some issues with our website, please be patient with us. Some folks have indicated that we are not running AC-3, ASC-3 or Dolby Digital (what ever you reference to the said audio). Please understand that MPEG-4 includes AC-3 within the format. It’s just the software restrictions that one company places may not support it. We will support AC-3 in both digital and analog formats. We understand that analog is needed because of old TV sets and offer the composite output for such consumers. Just don’t have the logo listed on our sample pieces. We did not offer RF output due to un-needed added costs.

The RS-1933 unit was built for a low cost solution with a CAM (conditional access module) reader. We will be supporting different conditional access systems, but wanted the versatility of a true FTA receiver. We can incorporate most CA systems with a card reader to meet anyone’s demands. This is a very versatile platform, but we also wanted it to be a low-cost solution to the market with a $219 retail price that includes a CAM/PVR solution.

We are introducing the Plaza series MPEG-2 unit with dual Multi-Crypt card reader with our Manhattan partners at Eurosat London . We just finished the NTSC version of the product for a low cost solution to conditional access systems. Multi-Crypt can read just about any active CA card system on the market; providing a very low cost solution to the dealer/distributor network. Manhattan DVB-S receivers are one of the very few to have this in the world.

There are two more MPEG-4 products receivers that are in the design stages, with added features and benefits. Plus a new line of cable, switches, HDMI cables, off-air antennas and commercial switches. A line of satellite antennas and LNBFs are also in the works.

I look forward to working with everyone in building their business. That is what we are trying to achieve in this market,,, isn’t it?

Jeff Schumann
Manhattan-digital

Manhattan-Digital in response;

First I want to give thanks to Satellite Guys for hosting these forums. I find people helping people understand the problems they face with a stranger’s help, is nothing but American!

I greatly appreciate the people that have supported FreeDBS.org and hopefully you will give Manhattan-Digital the same level understanding of a new product that is being presented before you.

While there are some issues with our website, please be patient with us. Some folks have indicated that we are not running AC-3, ASC-3 or Dolby Digital (what ever you reference to the said audio). Please understand that MPEG-4 includes AC-3 within the format. It’s just the software restrictions that one company places may not support it. We will support AC-3 in both digital and analog formats. We understand that analog is needed because of old TV sets and offer the composite output for such consumers. Just don’t have the logo listed on our sample pieces. We did not offer RF output due to un-needed added costs.

The RS-1933 unit was built for a low cost solution with a CAM (conditional access module) reader. We will be supporting different conditional access systems, but wanted the versatility of a true FTA receiver. We can incorporate most CA systems with a card reader to meet anyone’s demands. This is a very versatile platform, but we also wanted it to be a low-cost solution to the market with a $219 retail price that includes a CAM/PVR solution.

We are introducing the Plaza series MPEG-2 unit with dual Multi-Crypt card reader with our Manhattan partners at Eurosat London . We just finished the NTSC version of the product for a low cost solution to conditional access systems. Multi-Crypt can read just about any active CA card system on the market; providing a very low cost solution to the dealer/distributor network. Manhattan DVB-S receivers are one of the very few to have this in the world.

There are two more MPEG-4 products receivers that are in the design stages, with added features and benefits. Plus a new line of cable, switches, HDMI cables, off-air antennas and commercial switches. A line of satellite antennas and LNBFs are also in the works.

I look forward to working with everyone in building their business. That is what we are trying to achieve in this market,,, isn’t it?

Jeff Schumann
Manhattan-digital

Well, well, well...for all the "naysayers" out there--this certainly looks like a positive indicator for the FreeDBS service, does it not? No guarantee that it will happen, but still...looks to me like it's way too early to give up on the possibility.

Welcome to satellite guys Jeff. If you ever need people to test equipment in different real world applications, I'm sure you could find a few volunteers here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)