New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Reminder

I say again for all the "what if"-ers(and the 'wall')....:)
Yea,Some of our members are too impatient and get frustrated and their imaginations run wild.They forget that satellite companies are businesses including FreeDBS.They owe no explainations or updates to anyone.It's none of 'our' business what their progress is.It would be nice to know but...time will tell.:)

News Release: 9/02/2010

Freedbs will be having a meeting with a Florida Uplink Adviser later this month. We are also working on copyright issues. Without the help of the Public this would not be possible. We would like to thank the many people that are helping us including Matt with his help on Logos.
Maybe someone could call this "Florida Uplink Adviser" and verify this meeting.

Maybe someone could call this "Florida Uplink Adviser" and verify this meeting.

Maybe someone can call congress and verify the tax "holiday" they are considering. What is it with people? A station called Antenna tv is going to start up in Jan of next year. Why don't we call them and confirm that? Everyone needs to relax and see what develops. If it happens it happens. If it don't, well we at least have one heck of a thread to read for entertainment. Have a great day!

I'm signing up. Heck I've got 2 FTA receivers sitting in a closet collecting dust. I never got the right set up for it and could only get the dish network "you're stealing our service" channels. I'm not about stealing anything. I would just like to "tinker" and watch what is legitimately free out there. It's a desire/obsession left over from my CB radio days in the 70's when I could talk to New Zealand and Zimbabwe from my home in rural Georgia on a stock President SSB 40 radio and a hand built beam antenna. If it comes to pass I'll be better off. If it doesn't no worse off than I am now. 8 local digital channels on a rabbit ears rig from 60 miles away.

I have to say something here I am surprised by the way some of the members on here are so up in arms about this whole issue , I can only assume the ones that keep attacking and badmouthing this effort have some money already invested themselves????? . The way I see this is if it happens is great if not oh well .... I would think everyone that understands the FTA hobby is used to having programs come and go and what is there right now might will go away the next second ... I would suggest to the ones complaining and getting up in arms to pay for TV reception ..personally I can live with OTA and whatever I can get FTA .....

I wrote this back on 7/11/2010 I just thought I say it again. I am guessing a lot of the negative poster are somewhat confused about the FTA hobby and somehow think that they are on other boards that use the term FTA but they are totally different :rolleyes:
People here are making demands and also investigations into a company they have nothing to do with. If they had any money invested I am sure they would not be here complaining they should/would have access to the management.

If they had any money invested I am sure they would not be here complaining they should/would have access to the management.

It has been my experiance that those that badmouth this particular venture, at least people I see every day locally, have spent mega bucks playing "the game" with the providers and are not into the real aspects of FTA. Like I said, this is comming from people around here locally. For some reason they are totally against the idea of a "free" service. As for me, I have been watching free tv for years. I had a ton of fun watching the free stuff and will continue to do so. Have a great day!

News Release: 9/02/2010

Freedbs will be having a meeting with a Florida Uplink Adviser later this month. We are also working on copyright issues. Without the help of the Public this would not be possible. We would like to thank the many people that are helping us including Matt with his help on Logos.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So when I've talked to IS & SES on the phone does that qualify as "meeting with an uplink adviser"? You don't need one. It is simple. You deliver your content VIA IP to a teleport that uplinks your material to a satellite. Your cost is negotiated on a per hour, per month or per year basis.

Thing is, Leon/Kenneth doesn't have the bandwidth nor the technical capability and money to deliver a youtube video VIA IP not to mention a multiplexed stream.

Copyright issues? That PD garbage they list from Archives.org is copyright free.

The only thing "they" and the "supporters" know about is Dish Network piracy. "They" have demonstrated time and time again that they know nothing about broadcasting, broadcasting laws, IP delivery, satellite, FTA or the FTA market.

Kenneth/Leon needs to setup a meeting with the public defender's office.
yes.gif

Almost forgot....I've talked (meeting in free-bs lingo) with 2 different people at Globecast, one in Florida, one in NYC, but about real business. Does that qualify as meeting with 2 more uplink advisors or just one?
lmao.gif

<shamelessly stolen from another True FTA site>

???????????<shamelessly stolen from another True FTA site>?????????????????????????

I always find the use of the term "True FTA" amusing ..instead of "????? FTA". ....lol

I heard in canada, the news papers won't run adds for stb's because their version of mpaa pushes the idea that all fta is hacking.

> It has been my experiance that those that badmouth this particular venture, at least people I see every day locally, have spent mega bucks playing "the game" with the providers and are not into the real aspects of FTA.

WRONG, try again.

I can assure you this house dosnt pay for TV, and is 100% FTA. Look no further then my signature. Some of us certainly know what REAL FTA is all about and still others know the smell of bu~1 when they smell it.

> It has been my experiance that those that badmouth this particular venture, at least people I see every day locally, have spent mega bucks playing "the game" with the providers and are not into the real aspects of FTA.

WRONG, try again.

I can assure you this house dosnt pay for TV, and is 100% FTA. Look no further then my signature. Some of us certainly know what REAL FTA is all about and still others know the smell of bu~1 when they smell it.

First off, I never said this site! Second I never said anything about you so looking at your signature don't mean crap tp me. Besides anyone can say anything in a signature anyways. Please don't put words in my mouth that I clearly have not said! I said "People that I see every day locally,". As far as members here goes, How can you be sure that some do not belong to other sites that do play the game? Unless you can guarantee in writing that nobody here at this forum does not belong to "other" fta sites, I am not wrong as you put it. Now be careful, I do know that some members here do belong to other sites as it is their right to do so if they please. Don't be so quick to judge weather someone is wrong without looking at all the facts. And remember, all facts have some variables in them. I am sorry that you took me wrong. I will try to be more clear in what I say in the future. Have a great day!

Last edited:
I wish if freedbs ever gets off the ground they would sign up some superstations from all across the country. I miss the old days of cband when we had several different choices.

From another site.I don't like it but this looks genuine.

'Here is a C&P from Tony Dunnett in New Zealand. He understands and knows what it takes to start something like Free DBS. EB'

Quote:
"The A to Z of launching a multichannel satellite service.

1: With out a solid cornerstone funder or access to finance or credit line any talk of launching a Digital DTH satellite service is merely wishful thinking.

So we take it that Free DBS has enough funding to seriously consider launching its DTH service.

2: The first item on the list is satellite capacity the questions are:

A: How much capacity is required
Answer: This is dependent on how many channels and whether the service will be Mpeg 2 or Mpeg 4 and SD or HD.

B: This also depends on the transponder bandwidth. Some higher power DBS satellites payloads are 27 MHz, Some BSS are 36 MHz or even 54MHz.

If the transponder capacity is 27MHz the maximum symbol rate would be 22,500 M/s if the FEC is ¾ then the usable data for encoding will be approximately 31 M/bits with an IRD threshold of approximately 5.2dB.

If 36MHz then the maximum symbol rate would be 30,000 M/s if the FEC is again ¾ the usable data for encoding would be approx 42 M/bits with an IRD threshold of 5.2dB.

If 54MHz the norm is to split the transponders into two 27MHz half transponders and our encoding calculation for 27MHz applies. However there is normally a 3 to 4 Db reduction in EIRP due to two services sharing the transponder.

Given the above its time to calculate a link budget for the down link coverage area. Normal service availability for Optus over New Zealand is calculated as being 99.99% which will reduce the service availability by eight hours per year. Pan Am Sat published similar figures.

The next issue is which satellite will provide the most comprehensive and advantageous coverage over the continental US “Conus”What Capacity is on offer and what is the price per MHz per month. Given the fact that Free DBS claim to be launching with twenty channels. They would require two 27 MHz transponders each providing 31-34 M/bits of usable data. If 27 MHz and Mpeg2 DVBS was used each individual channel would be under 3 M bits if ten channels were allocated apart from the video encoding each channel would require a minimum of 128 Kbits for stereo or 286Kbits for high quality stereo.

At 36 MHz full transponder could realize 42 M /bits allowing 3.5 M/bits per channel and either 128k or 286k for audio encoding. Any Pay channels would require more data deductions as each channel which is CA is required to contribute.

What size dishes would be required in any specific region, what are the rain fade margins for specific regions? How will this affect the service availability?

Where the uplink should be situated to gain the maximum uplink advantage.
What size should the uplink be?
Does one lease uplink time from an established uplink operator or look for a teleport or uplink which has reached its expiry date.

Does the uplink site have satellite access to the US domsats?
Does the uplink site have access to terrestrial services such as fiber or microwave?
Are the High Power Amplifiers TWTA’s .Expanding a DTH network using TWTAs is easy Carriers can be added without installing additional amplifiers as long as the system operates within the power and linearity requirements of the TWTA.

This method is more flexible than the traditional approach of adding a new KPA for each added carrier. And, it provides flexibility in the link for changes in power and linearity requirements per channel with up to 1250W at Ku-Band, 750W at DBS-Band.

In our case in New Zealand we were using a C band uplink and cross strapping to a Ku down link spot beam centered on New Zealand. Although our TWTA’s were 700 W we only required 200W of power to run a 36 MHz transponder.

OK so they have addressed satellite capacity and an uplink facility they can now broadcast color bars on however many channels they elect to fire up as demonstration that they are not full of S_ _T.

Now comes the interesting part,where is their play out center going to be. Ideally it should be as close to the uplink as possible. Distributing multiple channels across the country to a Florida uplink via microwave or fibre optic cable is adding expense which is not necessary if some thought is exercised in where the play out center is to be located.

A lot of teleports have play out facilities which they lease out on a daily, monthly or contract rate. YOU pay them to put your channel programming onto a server ready for play out. Again this is not a cheap exercise given the amount of in house channels promised.

In our case we had a mix of pass through and in house compiled channels. The pass through channels out numbered the in house channels. Even to compile one in house channel with programme rotation every 24 hours “same programme line” up in two 12 hour blocks was a night mare. Let alone twenty. Telecom NZ had two in house compiled channels and a staff of nearly thirty to run the operation.

When automating multichannel playout, many solutions are available. Broadcasters design, configure, implement and operate multichannel playout in as many different ways as manufacturers design, develop, sell and install multichannel playout systems.

Multichannel playout is normally a custom designed solution. The users could be a terrestrial station with two, three or more HD / SD channels. It can also be a satellite delivery-to-home system (DTH). Cable and IPTV systems are also known as multichannel operations in which many many channels originate from one facility.

Uplink facilities and master control service providers add yet another dimension to automated multichannel playout as previously highlighted. Many broadcasters are consolidating by combining their production, news, traffic, sales, programming and engineering operations in the same facility to save on costs
In our case the 15.5m uplink facility was which we named “Auckland Teleport “was 5km away from the production /play out / programme gathering and studio facility.

Carlaw Park housed the uplink while our Newton Road facilities housed 18 dishes, a three camera studio, and full master control center, post production, programme gathering ,compilation and play out .

Most of the channels originated from a multitude of satellites serving the Asia /Pacific Rim. These were play through channels which entered the facility and were provided a dedicated Satellite receiver before being routed to individual MPEG 2 encoders. Each bank of eight was routed into a MPEG2 multiplexer where all the encoder outputs were combined into one aggregated MPEG 2 transport stream.

We allocated eight channels at a time into a multiplexer which consisted of thirty two encoders each compressing a specified channel from a multitude of inputs to Asynchronous Serial Interface, or ASI, data format which carried an MPEG Transport Stream through out the entire system. The last multiplexer in the chain also carried the Scrambler which was connected by Ethernet to the CA server.

The Scrambler had dual ASI outputs which consisted of one FTA and one with full encryption. The encrypted ASI feed was routed to a Tandberg Re multiplexer which converted our multiplexed ASI input into ATM Asynchronous Transfer Mode cell-based signal which out put was single mode fiber with a total capacity of 155Mbits.

This fiber link travelled 5 km to Auckland’s Sky Tower where the 155 M bits ATM signals were separated and distributed to three Tandberg media converters which provided an ASI input to three Comstream QSPK modulators which provided a 70MHz signal which provided up conversion to the specific unconverted final 12GHz Frequency which was amplified via an NEC HPA and sent in the vertical polarization some 278 M above the down town streets of Auckland City.

All this was doable, and technically we could do almost anything on either the MMDS system which acted as a link to the satellite uplink which accessed the NZ ku spot beam.

We made full use of the facilities we had access too , time and time again we showed the big boys up.

This Free DBS group, seem to be in fantasy land. The very last item for me prior to transmitting a signal to NSS5 was to go through a very comprehensive “Line UP” procedure with New Skies. This started off in Singapore and we were handed over to New Skies MCR in the Netherlands where we were instructed to access the satellite and beam on. We were instructed to use reduced power and transmit just a carrier “Clean” then we were gradually allowed to increase our power to that of our operational usage 200w.

There are 10001 issues that need to be addressed before one starts worrying about Logo’s and copyright issues. These are issues that are addressed with in a days work. As for an uplink adviser. It would seem that this group is akin to a rudderless ship thrashing around in high seas.

I honestly do not think they have any idea of the scope of what they propose let alone how they are going to string it all together and make it work. As I previously stated we made a very respectable movie channel out of public domain movies and programmes such as Box Office America, Celebrity Bites and Holly wood minutes.

This type of venture can be undertaken by individuals who have the credibility to attract a corner stone funder who is willing to take the risk. However I do not see any credibility here what so ever.

Look at this web site Ziln - New Zealand's Internet Television Network they have done what Free DBS are claiming they’ll do. Ziln has done it in the time Free DBS have been making claims of testing and talking to Uncle Charlie and Aunt Doris .

It does not matter that Ziln are a web based internet service; they have successfully launched a multichannel platform. The staff numbers are under 10 to provide a multichannel platform that provides a variety of interesting channels.

That’s my spin on the latest “press release” from Free DBS. “Guys stop dreaming and get real”.

It came from a reputable member at xxxTexter (E.B.),the first site I joined.The source is at the beginning.I don't like it either ,Bubbles, but if true wouldn't you want to know??

I heard in canada, the news papers won't run adds for stb's because their version of mpaa pushes the idea that all fta is hacking.

If that were true,there would be a lot of lawsuits.What is "mpaa"?"Where" did you hear it?Check your source.

Status
Please reply by conversation.