New FTA service with 20 english channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Interesting Selection....

CI, but not CAS. This will make the implementation of encrypted programming expensive for the customer as it will require a CAM as well as the plastic.

No Dolby license for internal decoding. Pass through for external device decoding.

4:2:2 is not supported on board the main chipset, but possibly could be available in the hardware includes a secondary video processor.

News Release: 10/15/2010

We are sorry that this update has taken so long, But we wanted to give you something that was Newsworthy when we did post it.
We are proud to announce that Manhattan-Digital will be our receiver of choice. Our system has been specificly designed with Manhattan-Digital products in mind.

Here are some familiar names: Manhattan-Digital News
Contact Us
============
------------------------------------------------------------------------

^ Mike Kohl - Technical Support

About Us
============

Manhattan digital is a U.S. company, based in Wisconsin. We represent various manufactures around the globe and United States.

Jeff Schumann founder and owner has been in the satellite industry since 1983. As an affiliate of Eurosat (UK) and Manhattan Receivers Incorporate, We introduced a Ku FTA stand alone receiver into the United States back in 1993. Through time we have designed and manufactured receivers for various groups for us in the states and around the world, including a local DBS company.

Jeff's involvement comes from the background of dealership, distribution and manufacturing. Most of your remember Jeff from days at Orbitron in both domestic and international sales. I enjoy working with the dealer base, designing new products dealers believe will bring great joy to their clients. I work hard at studying the market for trends with updated new designs from the manufactures.

I look forward working with dealers and public on this new receiver. From the start we want to bring another high-end receiver at a low price that will compliment/integrate this up-coming RS-1933 satellite receiver. With plans to bring manufacturing back to the states, that is our goal.

This receiver was named after my dad who has passed-on this last summer of 2010.

Another joy is working with and supporting the development of this product is Tony Witulski and Mike Kohl.

I met Tony when I was Managing Director Eurosat North America, distributing the hardware for international programs for Italy and Poland. Of course Tony was working with our Polish friends. I cannot say enough of Toni's friendship. His engineering knowledge is tremendous and knows the good from the bad. He tells me this all the time! But I will let Tony introduce himself to you.

Mike Kohl I met when I was with Orbirton. Many of you know Mike from his technical savvy. Which he has helped many of you threw difficult times. His knowledge of satellites, programming and the technical aspects of all systems in this industry make him second to none in the satellite and distribution industry. But I will let Mike throw in a few words as well.

Mike: Like Tony. Like updating the satellite/channel list, technical support when available and sales.

I'm truly blessed to have two fine individuals to be part of this company. Our plans are well though-out and aligned with the best manufactures to implement them. We look forward working with you in making you a better world to live in! In these difficult times we must work together more in creating and building new businesses and products. We hope to gain your support

They seem to have picked an unknown company who doesn't even have a product out yet. When you click products, it only list 1 and that is "coming soon". Not a very good choice.

They seem to have picked an unknown company who doesn't even have a product out yet. When you click products, it only list 1 and that is "coming soon". Not a very good choice.

They will probably also own this company, guess the box is designed for their purpose

this is just punked...

This is just so...well whatever.... I guess they decided not to make use of those 1.2 million fta receivers they mention in their Mission Statement...If this ever takes off I am sure it will just be another Over Priced Pay Service in some form or fashion! Nothing about it actually has anything to do with FTA any more it seems...

Interesting Selection....

CI, but not CAS. This will make the implementation of encrypted programming expensive for the customer as it will require a CAM as well as the plastic.

No Dolby license for internal decoding. Pass through for external device decoding.

4:2:2 is not supported on board the main chipset, but possibly could be available in the hardware includes a secondary video processor.

Everyone could use someone like you to help with their personal FTA STB selection. :p

The fact that it doesn't have a Dolby license kinda ticks me off. While it's understandable due to the production uncertainty of number of units, it makes it quite useless as a general FTA box for users who don't have a TV/Amp that provides Dolby decoding.

As for the price of the encryption implementation, we have yet to see how this will be passed on to the end user. They have mainly talked about PPV on demand. The markup on such services USUALLY is quite a bit, and could possibly pay for the providing of the cards to the customer. Perhaps a rental of it...

This is just so...well whatever.... I guess they decided not to make use of those 1.2 million fta receivers they mention in their Mission Statement...If this ever takes off I am sure it will just be another Over Priced Pay Service in some form or fashion! Nothing about it actually has anything to do with FTA any more it seems...

They have not yet deviated from their mission statement. They intend to offer FTA channels with additional PPV. You don't HAVE to buy their receiver. If you WANTED to buy their FIRST receiver, you could, to get the PPV on demand. This doesn't seem to be great for general FTA, but it's likely fine for the casual FTAer, or someone that just intends to receive their service.

I like Mike Kohl's channel lists. If he is even indirectly involved with freedbs.org then that adds to their credibility.

I'd love to have some names we know and trust speak up about this venture.

They must think everyone has a newer TV with HDMI. There is no analog video or audio output, but the software section does mention NTSC composite output. The video section also mentions down scaled HD video on SD output. These specifications must be preliminary.

Sounds to me like more "misinformation" or "disinformation"

The only news release on the Manhattan-Digital web site says:

9/31/10
A pilot run of samples will be sent out to a limited amount of people in the first week of September. To reserve yours, contact Jeff Schumann.

Guess What! There is no such date as 9/31/10! Thirty days hath September.....

OH yea of short memory!!!

I thought I had a bad memory.And then some like to pretend to be stupid so they can complain.FreeDBS said in the beginning that they would be MPEG2 for the first year(or 2).Their receiver is for THOSE NOT familiar with FTA.Mpeg4 will follow when they get established.
Manhatan Digital appears to be a "middle man" company procurring from various manufacturers according to their or their client's needs.Some of these cronic crybabies just seem to enjoy destroying before it can get off the ground;the same ones that,once they do start broadcasting, will bend over backwards to kiss their ..but I wont get into that.I'm an idiot but I can see quite easily what's going on with them.Everyone can drough their own conclusion.Have a nice day.(Remember:"It's a nice day tonight"):rant: :up

So the channels will be available to watch only via receiver"Manhattan-Digital"" ??
Would it be possible to watch using,Viewsat 2000 extrem,coolsat 5k plat and sonicview 40000 ???

IF they follow their mission statement, all of the ad supported channels will be Free To Air. There may be additional channels that will come that we haven't heard about. Considering they haven't even launched yet, I think it's best to just wait and see.
So far from what we have heard though, they should launch with MPEG 2 FTA channels, and later switch them over to MPEG 4. They haven't said anything about S2 though, or audio encoding. Considering that the receiver doesn't support Dolby outta the box though, I doubt many channels will have that when the service starts. :p

I agree with Geekt,They have to keep cost to a minimum because money will be scarce,hence MPEG2...nothing fancy 'till they get some profits for upgrades.Their boxes will be for the average person and not likely for other FTA.Yes you should be able to use the Viewsat or most other FTA boxes.

I don't know. It's been a few years since I worked with anyone renting tp space but most uplink centers charge for bandwidth so mpeg4 is actually cheaper then mpeg2.

As this thread has shown, MPEG4 costs you in flying poo. :p
I really don't get it. It's over 10 years old, and there are channels up there now that are MPEG 4. Why would you complain about having to get a new receiver for a service that's going to be around a year before they even switch to MPEG 4? It's not like people didn't know eventually they'll have to get a receiver that supports it.

I agree,mpeg4 is cheeper but the audience is largely mpeg2 (and already in place) and logically people won't mind putting out the money to upgrade to mpeg4 once the new provider has proven that it is here to stay but not so eager to gamble on a unproven venture.They probably could not succeed if nagra was still compromized.

;)

Attachments

• headstones.jpg
    headstones.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 177
I am very dissapointed in some of you nay sayers.Their Manhatan box will be mpeg2 (for at least the first year) and is aimed at the general public who don't know squat about FTA.They are starting in mpeg2 because the audience is ALREADY there.Once they are on a firm footing,they will make the change to mpeg4.Existing FTA units will receive their transmissions.Remember that they are a 'no frills',nonprofit operation;not on the same level as the big providers.They won't be able to sell their boxes in Canada unless they have a license or if they qualify as an FTA stb.They haven't asked for any money and they owe us no explinations or even updates.It is their business what info to impart on the public.They can take their pick of satellites to use at short notice;there are plenty to choose from between 80 and 100w.Intelisat 3R is moving to 81w but is supposed to be
at the end of it's life.If so why have they not put it in a deorbit position??They know a lot more than they are telling us,would you play poker with all your cards on the table?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)