New Fun Thread: You Know You're an FTA Addict When...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Guilty of that-but I have an excuse. I have analog cable and FTA PQ blows that away. The only things I watch anymore on cable are my local news and Fox News.

Sorry, not me.... my OTA box blows anything FTA way, picture quality wise. :)
Fortunately, every station here (in Dallas) broadcasts digital, and every evening NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, UPN, WB, and PBS are all broadcasting something in HD.

snathanb said:
Sorry, not me.... my OTA box blows anything FTA way, picture quality wise. :)
Fortunately, every station here (in Dallas) broadcasts digital, and every evening NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, UPN, WB, and PBS are all broadcasting something in HD.

Digital OTA-you're lucky! I live in one of those "fringe areas". My only hope is they will eventually increase signal strength after the "coming" change over to all digital.

In New Orleans, CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WB, UPN, both PBS's, PAX, and even the independents are all digital as well. My next project (when, or if, my FTA system is complete) will be OTA (H)DTV using my ATI HD Wonder and appropriate antenna(s).

Which leads me to my contribution to the thread :)

You know you're addicted to FTA when more than 50% of your monthly budget goes toward FTA and broadcast-related equipment.

When you've spent hours setting up a custom channel list at Titan TV that includes all the stations you can get, mapped to the channel numbers as they show up on your receiver - and when you even include channels you know you'll NEVER watch, just because you can get receive them!

When at least once a day you wonder when someone's going to come out with an affordable (under $300) receiver that can receive FTA HDTV, 4:2:2 and 8PSK signals, and convert AC3 audio to stereo so you don't need a separate sound system just for the odd AC3 audio station (is there currently a standalone receiver that does ANY of those things at a reasonable price?).

When you not only watch network shows off of distant stations, but get considerable satisfaction out of doing so because your crappy locals interrupt network programming for the slightest little thing, like a dark cloud going over a far corner of their viewing area. :rolleyes:

When you decide which shows to watch according to whether they are on FTA satellite or not.

When you cringe and get depressed every time you hear an announcement from the FCC regarding HDTV, because you wonder how soon it's going to turn all your beautiful equipment into boat anchors! :(

When you've seen ever recent episode of Outer Limits and Twilight Zone, just because they are on so many FTA stations at so many different times that you'd have to be trying really hard to miss an episode.

When you've seen more games of a particular sports team than your home team, but you hesitate to say the team name in an open forum in case their engineer is reading. :shh

When you choose to live 15 miles out of town just so nobody will hassle you about your dishes - and you keep notes on every illegal thing you see your neighbors do, just so you will have blackmail material in case they ever try to make trouble for you about having too many dishes! :D

...when your wife is asking you to do the dishes and you go outside to your dishfarm and even polish your lnb's and wonder, why she isn't happy afterwards.
..when you use your remote to command your wife, kids, dogs and cats. :D

When you have more satellite dishes than tv's
hehe - sounds like me :)
-You have more RG6 than the cable company
... sounds like me also :yes

You know you're an FTA addict when you hardly even watch any TV at all, but instead keep on scanning your receivers all day long trying to find some new signal somewhere ( regardless even if it is Scrambled or not :rolleyes: ) or any slight hint of some statistical information change of any sort ;)

And when the wife goes: "Come to bed already, Honey" ... and you go: "I'll be there in a minute, dear!" ... and when finally arrive and go: "Oh sorry... i think i am few minutes late" ... but at the same time realize that your beard is an inch long ... - then you KNOW that you ARE in a real trouble ... and that you ARE a real FTA addict :p

anik said:
When you cringe and get depressed every time you hear an announcement from the FCC regarding HDTV, because you wonder how soon it's going to turn all your beautiful equipment into boat anchors! :(

Don't worry about this one. 1st of all, the FCC isn't requiring a transition to HDTV. THey are requiring a transition to Digital Broadcasting. Second of all this is for terrestrial over the air broadcasting only. Not satellite. 3rd of all, this happens in 2009, and will get pushed back again. The only people that need to worry are the people who do not have cable or satellite. And even for them it is just going to be an OTA Digital Reciever box they have to buy. not a whole new setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts