New HD channels coming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There's at least 20 other HD channels that I would rather see before Shorts HD. I'll give the channel a chance, no doubt... But there's real basic meat and potato's that should be added ahead of this one.

I don't think DirecTV even has bandwidth for 20 basic HD channels, plus the remaining HBO, MAX, RSN's and Shorts. Something's gotta give. PPV, Compression quality, push VOD bandwidth, mpeg4 migrations, etc. You cant bleed bandwidth from a stone!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Still looking for the story but didnt DirecTV recently (maybe a few months ago) file for some approvals to use some new Ka tech to virtually double bandwidth without quality losses?

Im really curious about possible more Cinemax channels, hopefully ThrillerMax. D* does not give 30 day notices of any changes?

Still looking for the story but didnt DirecTV recently (maybe a few months ago) file for some approvals to use some new Ka tech to virtually double bandwidth without quality losses?
DVB-S2 is projected to offer up to 30% improvement in bandwidth utilization so the thinking is that it should give DIRECTV the ability to add one (1) more HD channel per transponder.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the actual improvement may be less (but hopefully still enough for one channel) due to DIRECTV's use of Ka band that requires more error correction.

8PSK Turbo is supposed to give up to 35% better throughput. I'll let you guess who is using that technology.

Im a newb and just signed up for DirecTV last week, Ive got the 2 HD-DVR Multi-Room setup.

I saw a video showing new Ka dishes coming out are little bigger and have a wider range of the sky. Im guessing these will replace Slimlines in the future? What about local repeaters? I think I read something about having local repeaters few years ago, especially for NYC. I know Sirius-XM uses local repeaters.

Do you have a link ?

Haven't heard or seen anything related to a new dish coming out.

Why would D* need a Repeater, their signal comes right off the Satellite ...

I found the link on this site or somewhere on the net. Basically the video was like a demo of a D* Technician talking about home setup and channel guide features. Kinda towards the end of the video he briefly compares and it shows diagram of 2 dishes mounted on a house. Ka dish and Slimline. He was saying the Ka will have a wider range to pick up more satellites in the sky. ** Just an example the Slimline picks up a 90 degree range and the Ka would pick up 145 degree range

Kinda towards the end of the video he briefly compares and it shows diagram of 2 dishes mounted on a house. Ka dish and Slimline.
If this is the video I'm thinking of, it is pretty old. The dishes shown are the AT-9 and the Phase III. The Slimline is the AU-9 which is three inches wider and three inches shorter than the AT-9.

unless its a channel that goes in the normal packs it doesn't count (ie no ppv, no premiums)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)