New HD channels coming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Some people are saying they have something coming up in the PPV field to compete with Netflix in some way and it will use up enough transponders for 20 HD channels. That would leave about 13 slots left. The ones coming this month and net will take up about half of those. I hope it's not true.

Wow ....

That surprises me .... provided there are HD versions (I would imagine there are).

Then you have to ask, was that a D* thing or a Provider thing ...
Here we go!

No it can't be a directv thing!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Directv is the provider and D* chooses what they want to provide.

Face it its DIRECTV!

They aren't going keep adding SD when they want to force customers into HD.

Here we go!

No it can't be a directv thing!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Directv is the provider and D* chooses what they want to provide.

Face it its DIRECTV!

They aren't going keep adding SD when they want to force customers into HD.

Do we REALLY have to go there again ? Really ?

Do you EVER post anything positive or HELPFUL, or is your existence here JUST to bitch about D* ?

Particularity for someone who has decided that D* is not good enough for you, you still are determined to ruin someone elses thread.

The thing I mentioned earlier is being called "Push" for now, it will offer VOD to people without internet access and it will drastically reduce the number of HD slots to add channels. But it will be a money maker for the company.

That surprises me .... provided there are HD versions (I would imagine there are).

Yes, EVERY one of those channels has been in SD from their corresponding networks LONG before D* put them up in HD.

Then you have to ask, was that a D* thing or a Provider thing ...

It's NOT surprising at all - considering DISH IS doing the same thing which such channels as HBO Zone & Logo, for a couple examples...

Do we REALLY have to go there again ? Really ?

Do you EVER post anything positive or HELPFUL, or is your existence here JUST to bitch about D* ?

Particularity for someone who has decided that D* is not good enough for you, you still are determined to ruin someone elses thread.
I post lots of helpful stuff, you would never know because your so blind.

I would like to see a post from you where just once your not making excuses for Directv all the time. Yea thats real helpful!

sounds good but "launching" sounds deceitful These name channels have existed for a while. Just to name a few, I All 26 HBO/MAX channels (east and west) in HD in 2008 or 2009 before I moved and lost FIOS. FIOS has since dropped a few like Actionmax HD west and Outermax HD west. Too redundant I guess and they wanted to clear the wa for programming.

Theses channels make a great new edition to DirecTV, as we have been waitng for years, but there is nothing new about the channels existence..

Some people are saying they have something coming up in the PPV field to compete with Netflix in some way and it will use up enough transponders for 20 HD channels. That would leave about 13 slots left. The ones coming this month and net will take up about half of those. I hope it's not true.

That would be streaming over the internet connection, just like Netflix. It wouldn't take any satellite BW. Streaming/On Demand over the satellite link on a scale as large as DirecTV's is technologically impossible right now.

I just hope they figure out how to not make it like VOD where it takes 3+ hours to download a 1 hour HD show. It just took me almost two days to download the whole season of Shameless. And it's not my internet because I just upgraded to 10Mbit. SD I can start watching right away, I don't even have to wait for it to buffer. But the HD is obnoxiously slow.

Last edited:
That would be streaming over the internet connection, just like Netflix. It wouldn't take any satellite BW. Streaming/On Demand over the satellite link on a scale as large as DirecTV's is technologically impossible right now.

I just hope they figure out how to not make it like VOD where it takes 3+ hours to download a 1 hour HD show. It just took me almost two days to download the whole season of Shameless. And it's not my internet because I just upgraded to 10Mbit. SD I can start watching right away, I don't even have to wait for it to buffer. But the HD is obnoxiously slow.

It will be available to people who do not have internet service so it can't possibly be streaming.

With a push VOD delivery service, can't they eliminate some of the swaths of HD PPV?

If you don't have the Internet, how does it get the file? Does it use a phone line to dial up and ask for the film, then it's told what transponder to tune for the download? Are these spot beams so say someone downloads a film in CA, the bandwidth isn't tied up for say a user in NY. What is the data rate on 1 transponder? Isn't it about 55mbps? I can bit torrent on my 12mbps connection fast enough to play the file (theoretically - if the download was sequentially).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

so say someone downloads a film in CA, the bandwidth isn't tied up for say a user in NY.

This right here is why it can't be done over satellite. They have 20 million subscribers, and VOD can't be done in a round-robin fashion. They have to be able to accommodate more than a handful of streams in any given area at any given time. Cable has true streaming On Demand because they have local infrastructure and don't have to serve customers nationwide. Even 'national' carriers like Cox, TWC, and Comcast use local head-ends that only serve a couple tens of thousands of customers each. All of their programming isn't coming out of one huge hub. They also have the advantage of a two way DOCSIS link, which allows for bandwidth-saving features like switched video (only sends a channel to a particular node when a customer's box requests it). Satellite doesn't have that luxury - they have to be transmitting all channels at all times.

If DirecTV found a way to do it, and it works the way it's supposed to, my hat's off to them because that's huge - it kills one of the main "reasons to switch to cable" that the cable companies use in their ad campaigns. But I still say it's impossible at this time.

Last edited:
Don't know all of the details guys, no one outside Directv does but a certain number of movies will be available on the transponders and being sent out. The customer can contact them probably through their remote, agree to pay and it will be opened up for them on a PPV basis. I don't know that exactly because the info is slowly leaking out, so that's my guess only, but it will be far more movies than the present PPV system can offer

I am not sure of the bandwidth, but I'm imagining a wideband (almost CDMA-like for fellow cell phone junkies) system, where DirecTV can send a huge swath of data out over 20 or so TPs. Say a couple gigs per second--this would be an encoded stream of ALL of their on-demand content in packets in one wide channel, constantly looping. Furthermore, because it is not "real time", there could be less error correction and higher compression for similar picture quality.

If there is a control channel that has a "directory" of this data, then it is a matter of a receiver getting a request to download, say Pawn Stars, learning that it is in the data stream on Transponder 2, then beginning to collect the bits for that program out of the stream being sent down. Depending on how many programs are in each channel, their duration, compression, error correction would set how long it would take the program to begin downloading and finish buffering.

Again, I have no idea how feasible that would be--but it seems like it would make the most sense, and how they could possibly offer an "on demand" solution with a one-way system. Question is of course, if this is the path they are taking, would the current crop of DVRs have that sort of processing power? Would 20 Transponders be enough to carry everything they currently have on demand, if it was all constantly looped in a data stream?

I could see that actually working if the top programs are pre-buffered in the middle of the night (sitting on the hard drive, ready to go), and the less popular programs take less than 10 minutes to go from "pending" to "ready to view".In fact if the top programs are downloaded each night, then that is one less thing that could be part of the data stream during the day--just thinking out loud.

--Nat

I don't think they are replacing on demand or PPV, it will still be like it is. They're just trying to be able to sell more movie viewings to more people.

As much as I would like them to add a couple more hd channels I think for now they are done (I have read about some premiums being added later this month) but that may be it as far as "regular" national HD

Well couldn't they do some kind of 2 way dish for people who can't get broadband? WildBlue and HughesNet show that it's possible to send data upstream from a reasonable sized dish.

But even if that's too costly, the phone line approach could also work for non broadband customers. The 'talking back' to request VOD is very minimal. It's basically saying "Hey I want that program".

What about using the reverse dbs spectrum for more HD channels? Isn't D12 able to do that? I only see transponders 9-24 listed for D12. Is 1-8 spotbeam locals? Can't they get 32 transponders on D12? If so, what about tp's 25-32? And reverse dbs... would that give a theoretical bandwidth of 48-64 transponders?

There has to be a solution to the bandwidth problem. I doubt DirecTV would of spent millions of dollars on D12 if it's capacity was going to be exhausted so quickly.

As much as I would like them to add a couple more hd channels I think for now they are done (I have read about some premiums being added later this month) but that may be it as far as "regular" national HD
they will need to do something if there is no NFL this fall

Yea we shall see, overall happy with direct but hey a couple hd adds would be icing on the cake

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)