New HD channels coming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Last time I averaged, IIRC, Directv had about 8 mb/s for each channel, at 5 per tp. I dont think thiers is variable like dish's, but you are getting me out of my realm of knowing what the hell Im talking about :)

Yes its variable... and it is about around that rate in MPEG4 That would equal to around 16 mbps in mpeg 2 (equivalent) Also, they are in 1920 X 1080I/P Full HD.

Does anybody know when KNIN will be offered in HD since it will be the new FOX affiliate for Boise, ID?

Well the slow pace at adding new HD has me wondering if it's bandwidth that is the problem. More so now seeing at least 4 tp's labeled "PUSH" (D12 21,22,23,24). That's at least 20 possible HD channels that cannot be offered because of that space.

This is why I'm a heavy advocate for maximizing the bandwidth usage with creative channel multiplexes, statistical multiplexing and intelligent mixes of 5:1, 6:1, 7:1 and maybe 8:1 compression per transponder.

Valuable sports, heavy action channels and high bandwidth stuff can stay the way it is (5:1 compression). However the slower paced or less popular can do any sort of mix from 6:1 to 8:1. Really does home shopping, talking heads, cspan, cartoons, etc.. need to be 5:1? Not like there's dramatic sports action scenes or huge multi-million dollar hollywood special effects.

If 8mbps MPEG4 = 16mbps MPEG2.. well cable providers have a few multiplexes running 3:1 compression. At their 38.8mbps 256QAM channel modulation, that's 12.93mbps per stream MPEG2. This works because they have very expensive encoders from Imagine Communications which analyze all incoming streams and regroom them appropriately. Maybe for a few seconds one of the channels peaks at 18mbps, but the encoder allows this because the action or scene on the other two channels is not currently in a high demand. Of course, the correct combination of channels needs to be picked for this to work without a noticeable quality loss. In the beginning Comcast Media Center made some bad decisions on what they were re-grooming and sending on their AMC18 satellite to cable operators. They've since rebalanced what channels are encoded together and it made a drastic improvement.

That's part of it.. also there are different transmission methods and other stuff going on.
IIRC, DIRECTV hasn't yet deployed DVB-S2 and DISH has been using the beneficial parts of that technology for some time.
Its a trade off between stuffing the transponder and quality.
There are also some downsides to Ka that make the newer modulation schemes less beneficial.

The relationship between transponders and channels supported is not apples to apples where both frequency and modulation are so different.

IIRC, DIRECTV hasn't yet deployed DVB-S2 and DISH has been using the beneficial parts of that technology for some time.There are also some downsides to Ka that make the newer modulation schemes less beneficial.

The relationship between transponders and channels supported is not apples to apples where both frequency and modulation are so different.

True. Now are you going to answer this question from another thread? http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/255414-rejoined-directv.html#post2536081

Taken from another forum

The June 2011 issue of DirecTV's monthly magazine is out and its listing the new HD's.... The 2 missing/unknown Cinemax's are listed as well as all the new channel locations:
1. HBO Comedy East-HD..... Ch. 506
2. HBO Latino East-HD.... Ch. 511
3. MoreMax East-HD...... Ch. 517
4. ActionMax East-HD..... Ch. 519
5. ThrillerMax-HD ....... Ch. 522

Edit: I thought D* magazine is over with? I had subscribed to Satellite Direct that shares with Orbit. I paid with Credit Card and have yet to receive a conformation email. Is that normal?

I just received Satellite Direct automatically because my subscription with the old magazine still has about 6 months left. Last month which was my first it didn't come until the 30th so they can be slow. You should call them or E-mail, they will respond. It is nice that the On-line version goes up 2 weeks before the end of the month so you can view it there: Satellite Direct - Welcome DirecTV Subscriber. It's a PDF file so you can copy it to your computer. In the promo code down at the bottom just type in "directv" hit enter and select "Online Magazine at the upper right. That should help you for a while. May and June are both available online now.

Uhhh why? Is there news to report or are you just bumping it for the sake of bumping it?

Some people like bumping just for the sake of bumping! Oh, wait a minute. I think you mean something else! ;)

If Orbit is the sat guide out of Seattle it's a piece of crap. I notified them of errors and the errors were still present 3 months later. So, IF its the same publication, don't expect much.

Same company different Mag. For the on-line service you get both but Orbit is for C-Band and Satellite Direct is for Directv. Any Mag that is publishing a schedule 6 weeks in advance is going to be wrong about some things where there are programming changes. TCM changes their movie schedules to do a "tribute" when someone dies as an example. I would rather have the info available even if there are some errors than to have no info at all.

I think it's an outrage that the network that has the second most Primetime Emmy Awards nominations for 2011 is not even offered in HD by Directv. I'm talking about AMC. I am paying them a lot of money every month and yet I have to face this aggravation. It's just wrong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts