New HD DVR from D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Questioner said:
I would buy one bugs or not as long as it works in some capacity, do you know how it stinks not to be able to record your hd networks. By the time it comes out at least 60 percent if 70 or more will have access to hd locals.

My point was that we can ALREADY record HD locals and national networks on the HR10-250 and we get and record local HD channels that D* does not and may never rebroadcast. We ALREADY are doing everything I'd want the new DVR to do-why would I want to spend more for MPEG4 until they make me?

Once again, if you can ONLY get HD locals from D*, then it's a different question. We get them over the air, and HD10-250 records them just fine. we also do not want to give up TiVo software until they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Don't worry, be happy-do it now, no waiting.

D.tv Ota Dvr Info Please

DO YOU HAVE THE DIRECT TV SATELLITE SUBSCRIPTION AND PAY THE DVR SURCHARGE? i BOUGHT THE HR-10-250 FROM COSTCO FOR OTA HD DVR, AND COULD NOT USE IT AT ALL UNLESS I SUBSCRIBED TO TIVO & DIRECT TV. i ONLY WANT SPEED CHANNEL AND OTA.

MIKE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

OHMS said:
DO YOU HAVE THE DIRECT TV SATELLITE SUBSCRIPTION AND PAY THE DVR SURCHARGE? i BOUGHT THE HR-10-250 FROM COSTCO FOR OTA HD DVR, AND COULD NOT USE IT AT ALL UNLESS I SUBSCRIBED TO TIVO & DIRECT TV. i ONLY WANT SPEED CHANNEL AND OTA.

Why are you YELLING?

OHMS said:

Now how u going to get Speed channel without an subscrfiption ? :rolleyes:

SO I had issues with my 250 last night and was elevated to the top tier technical support (whatever that means). I asked the lady about the MPEG4 DVR, she said the product is definitely to be released at the end of the summer and that DirecTV is testing the item right now. SHe does not see any delays in it srelease. Just passing on infomration I was told as of last night. Lets all hope its true.

OHMS said:

Yes, you must pay $5.99 for the DVR. I would recommend a DVD recorder for you. you can get one at Wal-Mart.

I was told today by a csr there is a release date set for the end of june and that current hd customers would receive letters in their mailings with offers... he also spoke of an all inclusive package that will be advertised in july which was all channels ppv and otherwise unlocked for $7500 annually for the first 2500 subscribers and then $10000 annually for others... i didn't see that as being reasonable since it is $625 a month but i guess if you order a lot of ppv and have a tivo it is worth it... who knows just the info i got today

No way is it coming out at the end of june, csrs are saying late summer/early fall but even that seems optimistic.

Gotta be at least Fall. There would be more info and even a unit spotted if it was this summer. D* is tight lipped but there would be something out there. My bets are still Winter. Winter runs into 2007 BTW. :(

You guys have the best information so you are probably right. However, I had a CSR tell me within the next month or two as well. I was told to hold off on getting the current HD-DVR since the new one would be available soon. If it won't be until early 2007, don't you think they would be trying to sell me on upgrading now?

cohenri - being soon isn't out of the realm of possibility, it would just be a surprise.

If I were a betting man, we see this between July 4 and Labor Day.

Thats right. Everything is speculation so what we are posting is just opinions. Nobody has any clear release date. It could very well be this summer but I am reading the tea leaves and they dont point to it. So I would put worse case scenario of Fall or Winter. If you cant wait then go with Tivo unit. Its a great unit if you get over the air signals. If you are stuck, wait a few months. Its coming.

cohenri said:
You guys have the best information so you are probably right. However, I had a CSR tell me within the next month or two as well. I was told to hold off on getting the current HD-DVR since the new one would be available soon. If it won't be until early 2007, don't you think they would be trying to sell me on upgrading now?

I just spoke to a "level 2 tech support rep" who told me "I was just told last week that we'll be releasing the HR20-250 at the end of July".

Hint of a change ?

Not sure if I'm over reacting but I noticed for the first time in a couple of years D* didn't run any ads in either B* Buy or Circuit C*.... Also, almost broke down last week and ordered an HD Tivo from D* but the girl from D* kind of talked me out of it. Kept saying the new one would be out around midyear... Hope springs eternal...

jeff piccolomini said:
Not sure if I'm over reacting but I noticed for the first time in a couple of years D* didn't run any ads in either B* Buy or Circuit C*.... Also, almost broke down last week and ordered an HD Tivo from D* but the girl from D* kind of talked me out of it. Kept saying the new one would be out around midyear... Hope springs eternal...

I didn't see any in CC but our ad for BB had a D* ad on page 10. Probably being that today was Father's Day, they didn't D* that much, like they have been the past month.

FWIW - The guy who delivered my new HR10-250 yesterday said the new DVRs would be out in August. He said it would look a lot like the H20. He also said it would have an RF remote and constant output of 480i from the composite video regardless of the component/HDMI output setting.
I asked him if the upgrade to the new HD DVR would be free to current HD-DVR owners/leasers and he said no.

chris_fowler99 said:
An RF remote would absolutely suck...

Why would you ever say that?

My preference is an RF remote, over a IR one any day.
1. Don't have to worry about line of site.
2. Will work when not in view of the box, like another room.

Just curious why you would say that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)