New HD GUI

Status
Please reply by conversation.
While I am finding the guide speed very fast, I have seen a dramatic slowdown in search times and just about everything else. Is it just me or has anyone else found this too???

Overall the HDGUI is slower in most everything but when actually in one list or the other. Sometimes just a bit slower, sometimes quite a bit slower, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why it is slower at some times than others. At its quickest, it is still slower in most things on all 3 of my HR24-500s than it was with the old SDGUI.

And sometimes it just ignores the remote for a few seconds.

Irritating, but not horribly so.

"Irritating, but not horribly so."

I agree...except on Boolean searches which now take forever!

lparsons21 said:
And sometimes it just ignores the remote for a few seconds.

This is extremely frustrating to me. I occasionally get delays in excess of FIVE seconds on my HR-24. Surprisingly, haven't seen it as much on my HR-21 though I use it much less frequently.

This is extremely frustrating to me. I occasionally get delays in excess of FIVE seconds on my HR-24. Surprisingly, haven't seen it as much on my HR-21 though I use it much less frequently.

Do you use the remote in RF mode?

I found that using the IR with my other HR24 in the same room doesn't have the ignore the remote feature!

I got to thinking, which is always dangerous! :)

There seems to be enough that are not so enamored of the new HDGUI for its speed issues after it has been on the HRs for awhile, so how come the priority for the programmers was to add yet another 'extra' of questionable value before fixing the damned issues that exist? I'm speaking about the addition of Pandora to the latest NR that is very slowly wending its way out there.

From my perspective, I'd rather do away with some of these 'extras' and get some speed!

I LOVE Pandora. I use it a lot more than SonicTap. I just wish it worked on my non DVR's as well (Like the H24 for example).

It doesn't cause any slowdown because it's not a resident app. It's code is launched when you click on the icon. Don't like Pandora, don't click on the icon.

You missed the point. It isn't that it is there and optional for use, it is that they spent programming time that could have been put to better use. Like speeding things other than lists up.

I'm pretty sure there's more than one guy that programs for directv. A separate apps team could have done pandora vs. the core system guys.

Plus there's only so much you can do to polish these turds. I think it would be a different story if the recievers had dual core Tegra 2 or even apple's A4, A5 or an intel CE4100. Huge oversight using limited less than half a GHz single core processors. Well not an oversight for accounting... Oversight in the eyes of the developers. They can only do so much. I'm sure they'd love a robust multi-core 1.5 GHz platform to develop on, but accounting must of said no way!

I'm pretty sure there's more than one guy that programs for directv. A separate apps team could have done pandora vs. the core system guys.

Plus there's only so much you can do to polish these turds. I think it would be a different story if the recievers had dual core Tegra 2 or even apple's A4, A5 or an intel CE4100. Huge oversight using limited less than half a GHz single core processors. Well not an oversight for accounting... Oversight in the eyes of the developers. They can only do so much. I'm sure they'd love a robust multi-core 1.5 GHz platform to develop on, but accounting must of said no way!

We were told that the HR24's had a NEW and much faster chip than the old HR20 platform.

Is that not so ?

Jimbo said:
We were told that the HR24's had a NEW and much faster chip than the old HR20 platform.

Is that not so ?

Oh yeah it's faster than the HR20, but I think it's only a single core CPU at something like 500 MHz. Even a dual core snapdragon CPU at 1 Ghz would of been a better choice. Still I think intel's CE4100 will be the next CPU in the set top world. Dual core, low power, integrated SoC, basically everything STB manufacturers are looking for. It powers the Pace box that Comcast is trailing their "Spectrum" DVR GUI on. That does Apple like animations and super fast response throughout the entire GUI. Maybe even a TiVo series 5 in the future would have this chip.

Oh yeah it's faster than the HR20, but I think it's only a single core CPU at something like 500 MHz. Even a dual core snapdragon CPU at 1 Ghz would of been a better choice. Still I think intel's CE4100 will be the next CPU in the set top world. Dual core, low power, integrated SoC, basically everything STB manufacturers are looking for. It powers the Pace box that Comcast is trailing their "Spectrum" DVR GUI on. That does Apple like animations and super fast response throughout the entire GUI. Maybe even a TiVo series 5 in the future would have this chip.

I wonder what they used in the HR34, seeing the 24 and the 34 are not really units that came out at the same time.
Wonder if they used a better one for the 34.

I wonder what they used in the HR34, seeing the 24 and the 34 are not really units that came out at the same time.
Wonder if they used a better one for the 34.

Given the reported slowness of the HR34 I doubt they made any better cpu choices with it than it seems they did with the rest of the HRs.

Frankly the only saving grace is that even though the HDGUI is a bit of a slug on my HR24s, it isn't nearly as bad as the HR21 I had a number of years ago. If it was, regardless of ETF, I'd be out of the D* subs.

My aging HR21 is much faster with the new HDGUI than it was with the SDGUI. It was like getting about a 3X processor bump-up.

And maybe by about 5X on Smart Search. I can't believe how much faster it is now.

I'm using and HR-21 700 and I'm having an issue with the new HD GUI, in the Guide.

Sometimes just randomly, it will not properly line up with the channel I am currently on. I will scroll through the guide, and the highlighter will be on the channel that I scrolled to, but the description part will be on a different channel or won't change at all. I RBR'ed it twice and I'm currently doing it now. That helps, but eventually it messes up again.

Is there any way to fix this permanently?

I had the new GUI on my HR-21. Just upgraded to a new HR-24. It's now hooked up to the internet. Will it automatically upgrade to the new GUI, or do I have to do something to update it? It's currently still showing the old guide setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.