Status
Please reply by conversation.

JeffreyDJ

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Nashville, TN
NEW HD Install, Need help with OTA

For OTA: I get 7 of the 8 local channels. The signal strength on most is fairly good, and that leads to my questions:

AntennaWeb says I am about 26 miles from pretty much all signals. It recommended a "Red" medium directional antenna. I got a Batwing of course with my install, as is per normal with D*. I moved the antenna as best I could according to AntennaWeb.org and the siganls seem much improved. However, I still get occassional dropouts.

1. Will a signal amplifer fix this? When it drops out, the signal strength will drop from ~90% to 30% to 0%. Literally, most times ABC/WKRN shows 93% and then it just drops out and then pops right back up.
2. Should the amplifier go inside, or should it go outside between the antenna and the line out of the antenna?
3. Should I just get a new Antenna for $60 at Home Depot?

that problem sounds like multipathing... maybe a tree or another house is causeing the signal to bonce back and hit the antenna twice...Does the analog station come in ghosty? if so that is multipath.

I have this problem with our local fox... all the locals are one direction but the fox is off in another that hits a house and causes horrible multipathing and ghosting./

That could defintely be it, mainly because the antenna is mounted between our house and garage, and the signals come from the other side of the house.

What's weird is it's only my local ABC and FOX that do it (the stations I most want in HD, unluckily). CBS and NBC boh hold signals very well.

I bought a signal amplifier, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all.

So.. Next step is moving the antenna from the pole, then if that fails, I'll go get the Antenna from Home Depot for $60.

I think its a location problem not an antenna problem... if you get over say 80 on the bounces you are probably using a good antenna... for my case i can take the antenna and walk it to the highest peak of the roof and hold it as hight as i can and i can get my fox... but my landlord would shoot me if i drilled more holes i his roof (my antenna mast connects to my dish mast)

It was funny this came up today though.. our NBC went online with their digital literally today... I couldnt keep the channel tuned in... i went up on the roof and tweaked my and ant and locked it in the hight 80s

Well, I went to Wal-Mart, bought some longer coax and moved the antenna to the back porch deck rail. Few(er) Trees in the way and not placed between two buildings.

Surprise, Surprise I now get 80% or above on all channels except one (the WB is hovering around 60% ...I don't really care). ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS haven't dropped once. Heck, even PAX and some other religous station (with 7 <!> feeds going) comes in cleanly.

I'll go buy a pole tomorrow, and mount it permantenly. Thanks so much for the help. I really thought it was an antenna signal problem at first, but it was quiet obviously only a location problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Current TV To Be On Directv

intermitant signal blips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts