New HD is up!

You need to understand that existing subs were denied 1000.4 eastern arc antennas when upgrading to HD even if the sub had all mpeg4 capable receivers. Only new subs got a pure EA setup. This was E* policy and one that's coming back to bite old subs in the ass. I have a D500 pointed at 110/119 and one at 61.5. It wasn't my choice. My Florida house install was just over a year ago. Yet at my primary residence, E* put up a 1000.2 when I upgraded to HD. This is a problem created by E*, not the subs.

I tried to get the EA, because my HD locals are not on WA, but was denied. They wanted to put up a 2nd dish, but I don't want another dish.

I have 110/119 D500 + a 61.5 side dish. No locals available, I get em' from Comcast. If I repoint the 61.5 dish to 129 (will probably have LOS until spring) I'll get the new HD? Won't I lose NESN-HD if I do that? Bruins suck anyway, but still . . . :D

Guide to getting the New HD Channels:

1 - Use your remote to go to MENU-6-1-3 to see which satellites you receive now. If you have either 129 or 72.7 (aka "72"), then you are fine.

2 - If not, go to:

The Echostar Knowledge Base

and search for your town to find which channel numbers (both SD and HD) for your local channels, and check which satellite they are on.

If either your SD or HD local channels are on 61.5, then you need to keep 61.5

3 - Go to:

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

and enter your address and then select 129. Go outside and see if there are trees, buildings or hills in that direction. If not, then you can try to repoint your 61.5 dish to 129, if your locals are not on 61.5.

4 - If there are no obstructions, but your locals are on 61.5, then you will need to either get your 110/119 dish500 swapped for a 110/119/129 dish1000.2 which has a connection to receiver the cable from your 61.5 dish, or get all your dishes swapped for an Eastern Arc dish1000.4 that has 61.5/72.7/77.

5 - If you need a professional install, call Dish and politely but firmly insist that you are paying for these new channels, but cannot get them because of Dish's satellite failure, which is not your fault. If no joy, call back to a different rep or ask for a supervisor or loyalty rep. Sometimes, calling Technical Support works better because they are not under pressure to keep down costs, and they understand why you need the new dish.

Actually if you are local are on 61.5, you can get the new HD by adding 129 and keeping 61.5.

This would be done by replacing your 110/119 dish with a 110/119/129 dish.

Some people in the other thread have already gotten work orders for that.

Alternately, they can replace all your dishes with a 1000.4 dish for Eastern Arc.
Yes, you could do that, as the alternative. I would think that the 1000.4 would be the ideal and preferred solution.

Nice thing about Dish is that there often are alternatives giving more flexibility in dealing with issues like LOS.

Except if your HD locals are on 61.5 and your SD locals are on 110, like our DMA, which requires 110/119/61.5 for new installs.

Now the best solution is a 1000.4 and a wing dish pointed at 110. ;)

Locals on EA work a bit different. Since all the receivers on EA are HD capable, when a feed of a local is in HD, there is no SD feed of it. If your locals are on 61.5 then I'm pretty sure you are an EA market which means some installs will get a 1000.4 dish.

I am a little out of the loop, but does 72.7 have all the HD channels on it?

Nope. Check TheList link in my signature.

Got all the new channels thankfully. Signal strength on 129 is ~46. Is this an acceptable level? Quality looks good, just not sure if my dish has dipped etc. Thanks

I just spoke to a CSR via the online chat, and was told that there is no way that I can get the new channels in my area... They flat out said that upgrading my dish would not change anything. I'm in the CT area, could anyone help me out here? I'm DYING for FSC in HD!

I just spoke to a CSR via the online chat, and was told that there is no way that I can get the new channels in my area... They flat out said that upgrading my dish would not change anything. I'm in the CT area, could anyone help me out here? I'm DYING for FSC in HD!
They are idiots, CALL the Tech department. And if you have the protection plan ,they will upgrade your dish for $15.

I have 110/119 D500 + a 61.5 side dish. No locals available, I get em' from Comcast. If I repoint the 61.5 dish to 129 (will probably have LOS until spring) I'll get the new HD? Won't I lose NESN-HD if I do that? Bruins suck anyway, but still . . . :D

Yes.. point the 61.5 to 129..takes a few mins to do it. You could go on ebay and buy yourself a 1000.2 kit and install that and keep your 61.5 also. These dishes are not much and people are taking them off houses and re-selling them when they move cause they know they are getting a new one anyway.

I have all the new channels but the guide info is unavailable for anytime past the next few hours - anyone else seeing this? Is there a way to fix it? Also, will existing timers mover over to the new HD channels automatically or will I have to do them each manually?

I have all the new channels but the guide info is unavailable for anytime past the next few hours - anyone else seeing this? Is there a way to fix it? Also, will existing timers mover over to the new HD channels automatically or will I have to do them each manually?
Do a check switch (Menu>6>1>1>Check Switch>Test) After the test is done, exit out...you'll get the searching for sat screen, and then the receiver will update program guide.

Do a check switch and it'll download the guide

When nothing is recording, do a "check switch":

Menu-6-1-1, click on check switch, and then click on test, then exist using cancel and you will get a "program guide downloading" message.

Specific timers will need to be redone.

If your old timer is a Dish Pass like " World of Sports " and you already have it set for "HD preference", then it should work.

But any timers just set for the old SD channel number may still just record the SD channel.

here is the big question . . . do i overreact and get a 1000.4 satellite installed or do I wait a few weeks and hope Dish fixes the 61.5 problem . . . any updated news on a fix?

here is the big question . . . do i overreact and get a 1000.4 satellite installed or do I wait a few weeks and hope Dish fixes the 61.5 problem . . . any updated news on a fix?

I don't mind having them replace my Dish 500, as long as I didn't need a 3rd dish on the roof. Had I needed the 500, wing 61.5 and a 3rd to get these new channels, I would have waited for the fix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts