New HD or SD channels?(Possible New SD Channels: USA, FoxSports East, Ohio & Bay Area

Technut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
San Antonio, Texas, USA
New HD or SD channels?

so whats the latst news? what networks will be launching a HD version next (TNT did A+ job)? what new channels in SD will voom be adding? and new HD channels should we be expecting next?

Ive heard of new satilite licenses and such but how does that = CONTRACTS WITH OTHER NETWORKS?

mr>c

NFL HD looks to be next. For the record TNT-HD is a joke so far except for a few gems like SAlem's Lot and The Grid.

Dvlos said:
NFL HD looks to be next. For the record TNT-HD is a joke so far except for a few gems like SAlem's Lot and The Grid.
And the NBA finals and lethal weapon 4 and all the new series that start in the fall? I would expect them to be true HD.

FOXHD is a sure thing, I think AMC will start as well as TBS and turner movie classics, just a guess but I think we will see them in the not so distant future

Technut said:
so whats the latst news? what networks will be launching a HD version next (TNT did A+ job)? what new channels in SD will voom be adding? and new HD channels should we be expecting next?

Ive heard of new satilite licenses and such but how does that = CONTRACTS WITH OTHER NETWORKS?

mr>c
I dont expect any new channels until the end of the year. I believe voom will add nothing until then. I believe the bandwidth is used up. I think the october leases will be relatively useless unless we all have dish and equipment upgrades. I predict Voom will drop the ball on that like they have in sales,billing, advertising, programming, PQ , OTA, Installation and almost every aspect of this venture. They need to be on our roofs now installing the new dishes . If leases and wm9 are to be used in october they will never make it by then. Look for something in January.

vurbano said:
I dont expect any new channels until the end of the year. I believe voom will add nothing until then. I believe the bandwidth is used up. I think the october leases will be relatively useless unless we all have dish and equipment upgrades. I predict Voom will drop the ball on that like they have in sales,billing, advertising, programming, PQ , OTA, Installation and almost every aspect of this venture. They need to be on our roofs now installing the new dishes . If leases and wm9 are to be used in october they will never make it by then. Look for something in January.

I think Vurb hit the nail on the head- Rupert and Charlie will be adding more HD than Voom to play catch up. Let's hope they under-compress. Both Rupert and Charlie already have plenty SD.

vurbano said:
I dont expect any new channels until the end of the year. I believe voom will add nothing until then. I believe the bandwidth is used up..

Hi:
I thought VOOM had room for 39 HD channels. Shouldn't there be room for at least one more?

ask rep today

I asked a rep today and then told me an annoucement should becoming out in August or September on new addtions to their lineup. or......it maybe two weeks :eek:

Wow, I'm bummed. I thought there were some good rumors going around about getting SciFi and Food channels soon. I guess they were just rumors, though. And yes I would rather have more HD channels than SD - but would like to see some announcements about the direction of new channels/content.

rkr0923 said:
I can think of about 15 channels that can get rid of..........have plenty of room then
I can think of 10 or more that could be combined to free up 5 HD channels and the bandwidth left over distributed to other HD channels.

electr0n said:
Wow, I'm bummed. I thought there were some good rumors going around about getting SciFi and Food channels soon. I guess they were just rumors, though. And yes I would rather have more HD channels than SD - but would like to see some announcements about the direction of new channels/content.
Its all speculation.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
I asked a rep today and then told me an annoucement should becoming out in August or September on new addtions to their lineup. or......it maybe two weeks :eek:
Any post that starts with "I asked a rep or CSR" should be immediately ignored. LMAO

someone should do a poll what channels would u trade for?
trade
sci-fi for travel network.??
fox sports for OLN ??
etc,etc!!

I for one would like to add sci-fi very badly, I have been considering basic DISH network for just one channel, risking the wife saying you did what, we have 2 TV bills now??WTF??? lol.....

if it came down too it what would it take to get that 1,2, or 3 channels that u really want?
wife has been buggin abot HGTV, would u trade maybe say ESPN2 ??
just a thought !!

MR.C (\<----has no clue how to do a poll here..)

Dvlos said:
You need to check out the weekend movies. For the last few weekends they have had 2 or 3 of the movies in true HD. Today is Rush Hour with Jackie Chan, looks great. They had Lethal Weapon 2 last weekend.

Yes TNTHd has been doing a great job with the movies lately...lets hope they keep it up. I do agree that VOOM has to get their act together with the upgrades for everything to run by October. There is just no way that they can swap all those dishes out for new ones by this october. I dont know why they arent moving on this yet.

vurbano said:
FOXHD is a sure thing, I think AMC will start as well as TBS and turner movie classics, just a guess but I think we will see them in the not so distant future

FOX the network or FX? FOX the network doesn't transmit HD, they transmit "Widescreen" I don't care about FX any more since they cut out the audio for the last 5 minutes of a movie to put promos in a corner of the screen. I'll no longer watch FX.

AMC & IFC are sure things since Rainbow owns them and "Widescreen" versions were planned as part of the sat service.

vinnyv07 said:
Yes TNTHd has been doing a great job with the movies lately...lets hope they keep it up. I do agree that VOOM has to get their act together with the upgrades for everything to run by October. There is just no way that they can swap all those dishes out for new ones by this october. I dont know why they arent moving on this yet.

what new dish's will us end users need? 24 or 34 or should i start building my own 100ft tower now?

Technut said:
what new dish's will us end users need? 24 or 34 or should i start building my own 100ft tower now?
No...but I need a 100 ft tower to get any sig from NBC or WNET in my area. In October VOOM is supposed to swap out all of the dishes that are on the roofs now with new ones. The new sats that are under VOOMs control in OCtober is going to increase their bandwidth and will allow them to add more ch's ...and HD. But...they should have started by now....so I dont think its going to happen until next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)