New HD Reciever at Best Buy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AIA_SMALZ_11

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I was in Best Buy today and saw that they had a new HD reciever for DirecTV. They did not have it on display yet. The box only had HD Reciever written on it will the featerures. It has HDMI out on it with DD support and supports all formats. I believe the model was H10. The saleman looked up the price and it was $299 and it was made by samsung. Any one heard or seen this reciver or know where i can go to get more info on it? :confused:

I will have to look tommorow morning. I will pull up the model details - it may be the H10.

I saw it at Best Buy here in New Orleans this weekend too. I guess they are going to run these for a while till the new MPEG4 boxes start to show up on the shelves.

I wonder if the H10 made by samsung would be better than the current Samsung 360?!?!?

I'll bet its the same box with a new cover to become D* branded. D* needs to rethink this single brand idea, as it will not be best for their customers. The different choices for box makers is what kept the different price points, ideas and options alive. Now they will stagnate into one or two crap choices.

charper1 said:
I'll bet its the same box with a new cover to become D* branded. D* needs to rethink this single brand idea, as it will not be best for their customers. The different choices for box makers is what kept the different price points, ideas and options alive. Now they will stagnate into one or two crap choices.

Amen :D :D :D

I looked at the H10 owners manual yesterday in fact. This receiver looks a little different than the Samsung 360. The remote, menus and guides are almost identical to the current D10 receiver (non-HD). Good or bad, I don't know. There was one post over at avsforum from someone who just got this box as a replacement for the RCA DTC210 and they weren't having any problems with the new H-10 box.

billbillw said:
I looked at the H10 owners manual yesterday in fact. This receiver looks a little different than the Samsung 360. The remote, menus and guides are almost identical to the current D10 receiver (non-HD). Good or bad, I don't know. There was one post over at avsforum from someone who just got this box as a replacement for the RCA DTC210 and they weren't having any problems with the new H-10 box.
No front display for channel designation is one change. I would rather have my 360 with it's minor quirks when viewing ESPN-HD or FOX-HD from the sats.

charper1 said:

100% incorrect :)

The H10 is a totally new receiver, and it's actually built by 1 of 3 companies. The biggest change is that it has an HDMI out.

I do tend to agree on the single branding thing being bad, seeing as what it's done to E*. The fact this is being farmed out to 3 companies is a little heartening, though.

I've got one. It's pretty decent. PQ is excellent, although I'm not using HDMI.

Favorites list seems buggy with OTA channels, but I still like it.

H

I got the H10 2 days ago and I am having audio sync problems on FOX 88. It was more than a few seconds off. I love Bruce Lee and all, but I was hoping to watch Jack Bauer in HD save the world from Terrorism for the 4th season...

I am calling D* in about 2 minutes, but if anyone knows what the problem is, please let me know!!

I think we all are having some audio problems w/ channel 88. The audio sync is something i have had since they added it. I rather use OTA to recieve my locals rather than through D*. If anyone has ahd this problem and has corrected it let us know what you did.

The new reciever @ BestBuy is the H10, and it is manufactured by Samsung (per the information I pulled up)

AIA_SMALZ_11 said:
I think we all are having some audio problems w/ channel 88. The audio sync is something i have had since they added it. I rather use OTA to recieve my locals rather than through D*. If anyone has ahd this problem and has corrected it let us know what you did.

Neither of my HD receivers are experiencing audio sync or any other issues for that fact. It seems that it is very brand/model/software version specific.

To update my last... I called D* and told them of the problem while at work. They resent (retransmitted, downloaded, or whatever else you would like to call it) my programming information. When i got home the problem was gone.

Pending any further problems, the receiver is now working just fine.

Well, picked up the H10 today, will give my thoughts on it. It is as I stated before, made by Samsung. The Interactive setup went quick, and was smooth. I am using a Monster THX800 HDMI cables. Picture quality at first glance looks great, and the off-air tuner is definatly stronger. (The wife had moved the roof antenna, and its slightly mis-aligned) and I am able to get one channel that the Samsung 360 did not pickup. The guide color is rather "harsh" and a blue/black color combo which is not nice. The unit is faster in response to changes.

First look: It DOES feature an RF remote (antenna included). I will give this a try since I do modulate the box to the rest of the TV's in the house. One thing that I did find is that my Harmony remote didn't have the command set online yet :( but, I was able to use the D10 command set and add the color buttons.

I am not able to select a channel on the MIX stations - but - this may be due to the fact that they are not 100% ready yet.

If I don't like it - I'll get it replaced in a few months! No biggie.

I noticed the lack of a DVI connector. Is there such a thing yet as an HDMI -> DVI converter as there is with DVI -> VGA in the PC world?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)