NEW HD RUMOR; 24 HD Channels for DirecTV..Bye bye Voom

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I guess I will wait

Well,

Here we are, two new HD Channel ----> Bravo-Crap HD, NBC-E and W ----> $1.50 the CSR told me if I file for it. Lets get some new HD NOW!! I waited to long.

Just a rant...

Besides... if you ever do quit D* your HD box can still recieve over the air signals (try to do that with a cable box)

This is my thought on satellite HD: Directv seems to have things going in the right direction for adding HD. I'm very glad I'm a Directv customer. The HTL-HD is rock solid. The only way I would replace it is if I got the HD-Tivo (wife will never let me spend $999 on something like that). I feel comfortable that Directv will have those two satellites up next summer and more HD on the way.

Have you heard Charlie's latest on HD? He actually said in a Charlie Chat that if someone wanted their locals in HD to either get them OTA or get them from their cable company. Doesn't sound too promising that DISH will have anything close to Directv's plans for HD in the next year.

I have a question about locals. Where I live we only have CBS in HD and thats only OTA.
If I sign up with D* will I be able to get more locals in HD?

Not now.
By next summer DirecTV says it will be able to provide HD locals to more than 50% of the country via spot beams -- same as it does now in SD.

Ok, I'm going to be the first to admit that I've been skeptical of the rumor of a new dish that will include 95° (for several reasons), but now it's starting to look more true. In the description of the new multiswitch that will be used for 72.5° markets, it says:
... plus additional inputs (2), Flexport 1 and Flexport 2. Flexports are used to interface with new DIRECTV satellites such as 95 W and 72.5W.
I've also been skeptical of them adding 24 new HD channels by the end of the year, as they don't really have room for it. But IF they were to use FSS capacity at 95°, then it's certainly possible. I won't put any wagers on probability, but they could if they were so inclined.

Darin said:
Ok, I'm going to be the first to admit that I've been skeptical of the rumor of a new dish that will include 95° (for several reasons), but now it's starting to look more true. In the description of the new multiswitch that will be used for 72.5° markets, it says:

I've also been skeptical of them adding 24 new HD channels by the end of the year, as they don't really have room for it. But IF they were to use FSS capacity at 95°, then it's certainly possible. I won't put any wagers on probability, but they could if they were so inclined.

It is happening! There is alot of money DTV makes on those local markets.

Personally, I would think the probability of 95 being used for locals would be higher than for HD. But using FSS capacity like this is about the only practical solution that would make the rumor of 24 additional HD channels possible before the launch of the Ka satellites. Not to mention by the end of the year.

I wouldn't expect them to use CONUS capacity for local HD. That's what the new Ka sats are for. Best chances, IMO, is either additional SD locals for markets that would probably eventually move to spots as new satellites went up, or HD nationals. Of course, that's assuming they DO use 95°, but that verbiage in the multiswitch certainly makes it look like they will.

Darin said:
I wouldn't expect them to use CONUS capacity for local HD. That's what the new Ka sats are for. Best chances, IMO, is either additional SD locals for markets that would probably eventually move to spots as new satellites went up, or HD nationals. Of course, that's assuming they DO use 95°, but that verbiage in the multiswitch certainly makes it look like they will.

It also clears up something else I have read. A poster on AVSForums mentioned something about an LRF for both Dish Network and DirecTV in the Macon, GA DMA. At the time I was wondering if he got mistaken as the Macon locals aren't currently available on DirecTV or if this was a market DirecTV had not announced yet because DirecTV has stated all year long that they were planning on offering locals to at LEAST 130 markets by year's end (which 72.5 is supposed to take care of) and considering that Macon is DMA #122, it would probably be coming up soon.

As for me, I'm DMA #145 and DirecTV has 14 markets ahead of me that aren't up yet (or announced yet, i.e. 72.5) and I don't know how many markets 95° will hold, but it gets me one step closer!! :)

~Alan

As someone mentioned somewhere that 95 sat may be more for the locals and the international channels (with some for HD, maybe?).

Hong.

hongcho said:
As someone mentioned somewhere that 95 sat may be more for the locals and the international channels (with some for HD, maybe?).

With all the Latin channels on 95° already, I figure they won't have a ton of space, so I suspect that it would be either locals or HD and not a combination of both. I could be wrong though...

~Alan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)