New Hopper and vertical size issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Had a VIP 622 for many years and got the Hopper/Joey last week. Picture quality is good; however, the vertical size is not good.

Faces on CNN, Fox, movies are all stretched vertically. Not a lot but quite noticeably. They were not with the VIP 622 receiver. Tried 1080 and 720. It is not my TV's (both have the issue and the Joey does). There are no adjustments in the TV I can make to fix this ... all are top line Sony's that were on the VIP 622.

Is this a common problem with the Hopper/Joey or am I just lucky to get one of a kind?

Is there a fix ... magic screw to turn?

Thanks

I would be happy to assist you. Can you please try pressing the format(*) button on the remote to see if this changes the format of the picture. You can cycle through the different options to see which works best for you.

if its a condition that is effecting all boxes as a tech I would start with swapping the node out first because its the common point outside of the dish and lnbf.

TV's are correctly set and the same TV's I have had. It is quite apparent on a channel like CNN where there are mostly face shots. I notice i occasionally moves as well.

The picture quality is fine so I don't know if the node would alter the vertical to the TV's. In the old days I could just it i on the TV ... no adjustments on this new stuff !

TV's are correctly set and the same TV's I have had. It is quite apparent on a channel like CNN where there are mostly face shots. I notice i occasionally moves as well.

The picture quality is fine so I don't know if the node would alter the vertical to the TV's. In the old days I could just it i on the TV ... no adjustments on this new stuff !
you can also do menu>settings>screen adjustments>format tv and play with the actual screen location and adjust it manually to fit your screen.
I have had to do this for some installs to get the picture to fit a customers tv.

you can also do menu>settings>screen adjustments>format tv and play with the actual screen location and adjust it manually to fit your screen.
I have had to do this for some installs to get the picture to fit a customers tv.
Those adjustments would have nothing to do with vertical stretch.

I know that but I have done it to get a nice looking picture for people who didnt plug their flat screen tv into a surge protector and the tv has section of screen that doesn't draw right.

basically hiding the broken part of the picture.

Is the box set for the correct resolution and screen format? OR are you tuned to the SD channels without realizing it. This happens a LOT. And are you connected using HDMI and not the other inputs (except Component would be OK). Be absolutely certain and don't assume. Some techs actually do re-connect using analog connections and not HDMI. I vote for SD channels being viewed. Your experience is not normal, but I think it is the settings at some point in the chain.

Is the box set for the correct resolution and screen format? OR are you tuned to the SD channels without realizing it. This happens a LOT. And are you connected using HDMI and not the other inputs (except Component would be OK). Be absolutely certain and don't assume. Some techs actually do re-connect using analog connections and not HDMI. I vote for SD channels being viewed. Your experience is not normal, but I think it is the settings at some point in the chain.

Unfortunately it is none of that. The picture from the Joey is vertically stretched and it is quite noticeable. I guess after you look at something long enough it may become "normal" but I can see the difference.

My dad has the same issue with his hopper. Half the channel logos are cut off. I tried helping, but nothing helped. It was set to 16:9, 1080p and the tv settings were correct. Can't explain it

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Make sure your program guides are set for All HD and see what happens. I also suspect the watching of SD channels.

MY channel list in the bedroom w/Joey are all HD as well as the family room w/Hopper

Do you have an outdoor antenna. Hook it up directly to the tv and switch back and forth viewing the different pictures on the same channel to see if that makes any difference.

guess you can't post a picture ... oh well.

I give up

I think the problem you are having is an HDMI handshake between the Hopper and your TV. I have 2 hoppers and a Joey and I have he same issue you have but only on one Hopper that is connected to my 46 inch Toshiba. Never a problem on either of the other TVs even one of which is another different model Toshiba.
In my case the problem is intermittent, maybe once every couple of days when I first turn on the receiver and TV. The simple solution is unplug the HDMI cable going to the back of the TV for a second and plugging it back in. Works every time. If you don't want to do that try turning off your TV for a few seconds and turning it back on, this usually works for me but sometimes I have to do it several times.
Also I find that I have fewer instances if I turn on the Hopper first and wait till till it is fully on, usually 20 seconds, before turning on the TV. Even then sometimes I still resort to unplugging HDMI for a second or two.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)