New info in SEC doc filed 9/2

Even if Voom installed 1 million customers 30% would be gone within the year. Something needs to be done fast.

Okay, let's put this dream into a more realistic base. Let's say Voom can grow to 300,000 by the EOY 2005. This will tell us that a)the product is marketable and B) most in important - Investors can point to that curve and justify more funds. (which the SEC report is really pointing out).

Bruce is fundamentally right with his numbers, but it would NOT cause Voom to deny customers. They (Voom) would probably file another SEC report (one with a more positive twist) detailing their growth in business and customer base, glorify their successful marketing strategy, and open discussions about major investor support. I don't think the door would close due to a subscriber upsurge.

mkwillia said:
Okay, let's put this dream into a more realistic base. Let's say Voom can grow to 300,000 by the EOY 2005. This will tell us that a)the product is marketable and B) most in important - Investors can point to that curve and justify more funds. (which the SEC report is really pointing out).

Bruce is fundamentally right with his numbers, but it would NOT cause Voom to deny customers. They (Voom) would probably file another SEC report (one with a more positive twist) detailing their growth in business and customer base, glorify their successful marketing strategy, and open discussions about major investor support. I don't think the door would close due to a subscriber upsurge.
and throw another 2 billion away for 2 more years of operation to get from 300,000 to 600,000? WHen they need 1.5 million subs just to break even?
ANd with no major retail outlets this will be a 10 year plan to get 1.5 million subs at a cost of around 10 billion dollars and how many price increases? What major investor is up for that?

mkwillia said:

mkwillia is fundamentally right except for one thing,no one is going to Voom,5000 subs in 2 months is beyond awful,that means in almost 9 months Voom has 30,000 subs,close the door,use the money they would throw away on Voom towards the MVDSS spectrum that has so much potential(hundreds of channels,broadband,able to do locals and RSN in each area)and the infrastucture costs would be lower then building a new bird(lease space on Cell Phone Towers that are already up to broadcast via wireless).

This Press Release By DirecTV today may be timed to hurt investement in VOOM! Anyway it sure can't help!!!

"not cable or other competitors, will have the capability to bring hundreds of high-definition channels and other enhancements to consumers across the entire country with the consistency, reliability and quality that they demand and deserve."

September 08, 2004 04:02 PM US Eastern Timezone

DIRECTV Announces Plan to Launch Next Generation Satellites to Provide Dramatic Expansion of High-Definition and Advanced Programming Services

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 8, 2004--DIRECTV, Inc., provider of the nation's leading digital multichannel television service, announced today a historic expansion of programming capacity with the planned launch of four new next-generation satellites. These satellites will provide DIRECTV with a massive expansion in local and national high-definition (HD) channels, as well as capacity for new interactive and enhanced services and standard-definition programming. DIRECTV will have the capacity to bring these new services to every household in America.

"We have led the TV industry in choice, quality and service and we are now positioned to lead the industry in bringing new advanced television programming to consumers nationwide," said Chase Carey, president and CEO of The DIRECTV Group, Inc. "Only DIRECTV, not cable or other competitors, will have the capability to bring hundreds of high-definition channels and other enhancements to consumers across the entire country with the consistency, reliability and quality that they demand and deserve."

The first two of these satellites, Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2, will launch in 2005 with programming being offered to consumers by the middle of the year. These satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels. With these satellites, DIRECTV will have the ability to bring local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, as well as continuing to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements.

The next two satellites, DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, will launch in early 2007. These satellites will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels, more than 150 national HD channels, and other new programming offerings. These satellites will provide DIRECTV the capability to bring local and national HD programming and other advanced services to every U.S. household. Consumers will be able to receive all of these services, as well as existing DIRECTV(R) programming, with a single small satellite dish.

"Today's announcement is one of the most significant in the history of DIRECTV. We are reinforcing our commitment to best serve our customers with the most attractive and compelling array of programming services available," said Mitch Stern, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "Furthermore, with the launch of local HD channels we will help advance the nation's transition to digital television. Our strongest growth is in our local channel markets where millions of former cable customers have cut their service for DIRECTV; offering local HD channels, as well as a variety of interactive services, will strengthen our competitive position and give cable customers who have yet to switch another reason to subscribe to DIRECTV."

DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, to be built by Boeing, will be among the largest and most powerful Ka-band satellites ever launched. The satellites, which will take advantage of DIRECTV's advanced transmission techniques and state-of-the-art video compression technology, will deliver national HD programming and will be capable of supporting spot beams carrying local HD broadcast channels in all 50 states. Boeing will also build a third satellite for DIRECTV that will serve as a ground spare.

The Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 satellites, also being built by Boeing, are approaching completion and the satellites were recently converted to be capable of offering both video and a broadband Internet service. Boeing is also constructing a third Spaceway satellite.

Today DIRECTV delivers one of the most robust HD programming lineups available. The DIRECTV HD Package includes ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater(TM), Bravo HD+, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and HD Special Event programming for $10.99 per month. This football season, via its exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET package, DIRECTV will air more than 125 NFL games in HD format. In addition, DIRECTV offers a HD Pay Per View channel, HBO(R) HDTV and SHO HD(R) (HBO(R) HDTV and SHO HD(R) are included with their respective premium programming subscriptions). DIRECTV also delivers the national CBS HD feed for customers who live in CBS O&O markets and will launch the national NBC HD feed to customers living in NBC O&O markets this month.

Earlier this year, DIRECTV introduced the DIRECTV HD DVR, the most advanced DVR in the world. The DIRECTV HD DVR enables consumers to record and play back HD programming, record a show while watching another or record two shows simultaneously. It seamlessly supports all these features for HDTV transmissions, standard-definition programming and off-air ATSC broadcasts, all through an integrated advanced program guide. The DIRECTV HD DVR allows customers to record more than 30 hours of HD programming or up to 200 hours of standard-definition programming

Wow, very impressive...should be interesting to see how this hand plays out. Everyone (with the notable exception of E*) appears to be going balls-to-the-walls HD these days: Broadcaster, Sats and even Cable. Competition is good!

"...DIRECTV's advanced transmission techniques and state-of-the-art video compression technology..." :eek: :shocked :rolleyes: :p

Perhaps this is their "state-of-the-art video technology".

How long does it take to build these things? VOOM needs a little time to increase it's subscription base before DirecTV does it's thing.

Boeing to build 3 DirecTV satellites

UPI - Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Date: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 6:46:10 PM EST

ST. LOUIS, Sept. 8 (UPI) -- Boeing said Wednesday it would build three new satellites to expand DirectTV's high-definition television services in the United States.

The aerospace company said the pact called for three of its Boeing 702 satellites and would make DirectTV's HDTV available to 90 percent of its home customers, and would also expand standard broadcasting service.

Financial terms of the contract and the anticipated launch date were not revealed.

This is good -- competition --. Well as I said it before, I get all my locals through my antenna HD so this will not do anything for until their "robust" HD line up is made better than the competition -- VOOM. I am not going to get excited about locals HD although the capacity of HD is something to WOW you.

Sean Mota said:
This is good -- competition --. Well as I said it before, I get all my locals through my antenna HD so this will not do anything for until their "robust" HD line up is made better than the competition -- VOOM. I am not going to get excited about locals HD although the capacity of HD is something to WOW you.
Gimme those HD lil's now D*!!!!!! Pleeeeease!!!!!

Can't wait-Thanks Rupy-LOL

Well I guess we can hope for the best. I'm telling everyone I know about VOOM. So far 1 our of every 5 of my friends contacted have become VOOM subscribers. When I first subscribed it was out of sheer disbelief that anyone could provide such a service.
Since it was free up front I frankly was ready to blast VOOM as soon as I proved it didn't work. But it worked enough and now I'm enjoying HD movies and programs every night. Who else carries 10 Premium Movie Channels of HD? (HBO 2,SHOW2,Starz 2,Max2, Encore & TMC). True, their marketing wasn't the best way to go but hindsight is easy. Lots of people may shop Sears but the people who have HDTV's seem to go to stores like Best Buy & Circuit City for their electronic needs. I can't remember when I have been in Sears. And as I understand it only about 5% of TV owners have HD right now. So it is a difficult market to penetrate. So the bigger question my be can HDTV alone sustain a company? Of course now VOOM is able deliver to those who also demand SD channels. Except for FOOD & HGTV I don't find any SD channels missing that I used to watch. The OTA antenna problem is another difficult one to solve until all Networks are available on Sat. As for me I'll hang in there and see this thing through. I hope others like HDTV enough to be patient. In my opinion VOOM has delivered HDTV and not just promises like other companies both Satellite & Cable.

Did the D* press release say a 2007 date as go live date on thier HD initiative? riiiiigght

mkwillia said:
Okay, let's put this dream into a more realistic base. Let's say Voom can grow to 300,000 by the EOY 2005.

More realistic? To get to 300,000 by EOY 2005 with no churn, they'd have to do about 17,000 a month. Other quotes I've seen say they have 1200 on a waiting list they can't install now. Does anybody think it's possible? :confused:

joemama said:
More realistic? To get to 300,000 by EOY 2005 with no churn, they'd have to do about 17,000 a month. Other quotes I've seen say they have 1200 on a waiting list they can't install now. Does anybody think it's possible? :confused:

It's not possible, but I'm a realist. You'll find about 10-20 people (some people hate it when I use numbers that are really good estimates) on this board that are going down with the Voom ship. I understand why the moderator would hang on till they sink (after all he's the moderator of Voom) but I'm can't figure out the rest unless their favorite movie was Titantic.

txcruiser said:
It's not possible, but I'm a realist. You'll find about 10-20 people (some people hate it when I use numbers that are really good estimates) on this board that are going down with the Voom ship. I understand why the moderator would hang on till they sink (after all he's the moderator of Voom) but I'm can't figure out the rest unless their favorite movie was Titantic.

txcruiser,

how many times I have to remind you that I have E*, V* and Cable. You sound like you want everybody to ride D* ship. Do you work for D*? I really question some of your posts and motive. You left VOOM right? If so, let it go and enjoy your D* "robust" HD channels. Until somebody comes up with a better HD line up than V* (which no one has until now) I am staying with V* (as long as they are still in business). Let me remind you that I pay $$$ monthly to all three providers and you do not need to tell me when to quit or to stay. My $$$ and what I want determines that.

Here are some reasons why I will not change to D* yet:

Starz-HD
Encore-HD
TMC-HD
TNT-HD
Cinemax-HD

and I'll throw in for those who care:
Playboy-HD
FNS-FLHD
FNS-CLVHD (Soon)

I'll put the 21 Exclusives against HDnet and HDnet Movies (in my case these are hyped up too much).

Where's INHD 1 & 2? Get them and WOW me (I know VOOM does not have it either).

Why pay $1000 for Tivo? I won't and on top of that pay a subscription.

Yeah, D* has NLF Sunday Ticket in HD: I don't care to pay $200 for it. I get NBC-HD, ABC-HD, CBS-HD, WB-HD, PBS-HD, and soon (Fox-HD) + ESPN-HD will get me my Football HD fix.

There you go the reasons I won't change until D* matches and surpasses these options. Not enough to entice me, at least, yet.

by txcruiser logic:

P.S: by the same token may be we should all go to the Dish Network forums and Cable forums and say why remain with Dish Network and Cable. I can see why only the moderators will remain with Dish Network. There is no reason for any Dish Network subscriber to remain with Dish Network. All Dish Network subscriber should change to DirecTv.

Sean what cable company do you have? and what HD do you get with them? Just wondering?

rtt2 said:
Sean what cable company do you have? and what HD do you get with them? Just wondering?

Cablevision --- INHD, MSG-HD, FoxSport NY -HD, plus locals... All connected to 42 Enhanced Samsung plasma on my second floor. Only watch INHD ocassionally and MSG/FSNY-HD when Mets are playing against a good team. But the Mets have been very hard to watch lately.

Regardless what happens. We all win. If VOOM doesn't survive it we all just move to one of the other services who, by that time, will be offering more HD. Even VOOM says that it is just the matter of time before the services are equal. So if that happens, through your Motorola box out and get a replacement from whomever you choose. Increased HD only helps the consumer. I hope VOOM does make it if only for the competitive factor. I look at D* announcement as an admission that VOOM has the right strategy. Without VOOM I wonder if D* would have made such a commitment at this time.

I agree with you gutter 100%. This can only be good for all HD consumers. Finally we are seeing the HD market moving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)