New info in SEC doc filed 9/2

Ya, I've noticed that real numbers scare the diehards on this forum. Everybody knows that more options mean better prices for consumers. But at some point, you've just gotta let go of the balloon. Voom had a good idea, I just think they were a day late and a few million dollars short.

I'm hanging with voom till the end. What's the big deal about jumping ship early? It's not like there won't be any choices left to go too if Voom doesn't make it.

Voom has the best bang in HD for my dollar. I pay $127/mo for VaVaVoom and 3 box rental. I still have cable for the internet, but was paying about the same when I had full digital cable minus the internet.

They still have some serious startup issues to resolve. I really really miss HGTV and TechTV, but figure they will have them soon enough.

I wanted to get voom back in Oct 2003 but the upfront $$ didn't seem reasonable at the time. I waited until the $0 down zero commitment deal before I choose to switch to voom from cable.

Did I expect rain fade? Yes, I had DTV years ago and had rain/snow fade back then. I switched to cable when DTV and (the movie channel provider, can't recall the name) merged and refused to offer the same programming choices and prices I had before.

Has Voom met all my expectations? No, not really.
I expected the whole house DVR about this time.
I expected a better Program Guide because this one sucks and will have to be improved before it can function efficiently with the DVR.
I expected to have HGTV by now.
I expected to have HD on demand PPV.
I expected better picture quality. (It has been improving though)
I expected better customer service. (although we still have the Wilt work around)

But, I don't see any advantage of changing back to cable at this time. Their customer service sucks too. But they do allow you to do self installs of cable modems and STB's. They also had promised an HD-DVR 1st quarter 2004 and have yet to deliver on that promise.

All in all, I don't see where I'm losing out by hanging on to Voom, and if they don't make it, I'll be disappointed but will drive up to the cable office and get 3 STB's, install them myself, and have digital cable up and running that afternoon.

You guys just keep serving up softballs. smasmuch's post is more of a reason to switch than stay. All I'll say is that all of you that whine to Wilt whenever there is a problem should be glad that there aren't more subscribers. Otherwise you'd never get such personal treatment. I could comment on the other items, but why beat a dead horse? :D

So Sean what package are you with CV? Silver or Gold?

I think CV suck that they only give INHD1 and not INHD2

MSGHD and FSNYHD are a disappointment because the only HD is the live games. Everything else is just SD crap. Also FSNY will not have the Mets next year.

:cool:
do you think they are going to spend much more on this adventure? dvr,mpeg4, etc... i think they are done.could you imagine installs inc. sending out all of their top notch techs out to upgrade your stb, and give you a bigger dish.its over.voom did serve a purpose, and i do thank them for trying, and i do think they were a few years early.Walmart is selling hd sets now, with a big time dispaly area.im rambling, end of thought. :confused:

I don't think anybody should overreact to the SEC document. As an economist who studies industries, I can tell you that SEC documents are necessarily conservative in order to protect a firm against shareholder lawsuits. They are filled with provisos stating that if such and such doesn't happen it will detrimentally effect the business. Frankly, I feel good about this document because it means that Rainbow has a plan in place to try to address the problems that it has encountered this past year. It certainly makes sense that they back off their marketing efforts until they can get there installation, churn rate and other problems worked out. So, in a sense, they are regrouping and preparing to push hard again in the fall.

joemama said:
... I could comment on the other items, but why beat a dead horse? :D

joemama,
a dead horse? I am watching Voom right now and as far as I can tell it is all alive and kicking (ass). I have more channels than a few months ago not to mention a lot more HD channels than I had a year ago with D* and cable. I haven't experience any hardware problems for months, and I've never had any billing problems. I get all my OTA channels (I know, I am lucky).

So, joemama, why should I jump the ship - as somebody suggested earlier? Am I going to lose anything by staying with and enjoying Voom? I lease, I had $0 installation cost, and I pay only for the programming. I am sure that some people here would like to call me a diehard and fanboy. If it makes you feel better feel free to do so. It will make my day. :)

The only thing I like about the SEC document is that it's realistic and Rainbow Media realizes it's mistakes. What I don't like about it, is that there is some plans of action but not in all areas.

- No plan to deploy new dishes. I think this is crazy, to pay for a new Satellite lease that you cannot use. Waste of money if you ask me. This could be addressed by:

-- -- -Allow users that request it, self-installation of the new dish. As a thank you Voom gives you a month credit. Definately a cheaper alternative than paying a tech to do it.

-- -- -Start in September, if 1,200 people are waiting for installations start with them, you could prevent a return visit. Second go with people who requested their own dish self-install. Take the remaining names sort them from Charter, grandfathered, new and go from there. When you have all 30,000 subs upgraded by end of October:

-- -- -- -Immediately shuffle over all the Standard Definition channels to the new bird. Increase bandwidth on Rainbow 1 and make the bitrate fixed. Post something on everyone's bandwidth that says "Voom's new satellite is in orbit, High Definition picture quality is improved!! Compare and rate on our new survey at www.voom.com/OMG/PQROCKS.html"

They should also follow the exact same plan of attack for MPG4 upgrading although if you ask me, upgrading SD to MPG4 is useless with the new Sat. in the sky. They should do HD first and increase their ability to add HD channels, hence, being able to offer WE/AMC/IFC in HD as well as going for INHD, Wealth, and any other HD channels that crop up (ESPN2) next year.

While all this is taking place, their DVR division has to be in a position to launch this, Voom's 2nd marketing push has to revolve around the DVR IMO, everything else is useless the way I see it now, and what I've grown to expect now from HD. "Voom's whole house solution, lease a DVR, watch recorded programs from any TV In the house (with an STB)!!!" A commercial or promos of this would be awesome, and beats anything TiVo currently has IMO.

I don't think a marketing campaign about Voom's improved PQ (if they listen to us and fix PQ) would attract people, "Hey look at us! We look better!" but a "Hey look at our whole house DVR and 39 HD channels sucka'!" sounds more enticing. Improved PQ would If DirectTivo works so well for D* then I am 100% a solid DVR from Voom with an improved program guide will work not only for new subs, but E* and D* subs who won't let go of their service for lack of a DVR.

I also think that Rainbow should hire people as execs from this forum :)

rtt2 said:
So Sean what package are you with CV? Silver or Gold?

I think CV suck that they only give INHD1 and not INHD2

MSGHD and FSNYHD are a disappointment because the only HD is the live games. Everything else is just SD crap. Also FSNY will not have the Mets next year.

Gold.

There are plans for the new dish. I can tell you that the budget is in place and the last time I was told that it was going to be free of charge.

I agree with a lot of you. This document is realistic but it does not denote plan of action. The "no plan of action" is expected because no one in their right mind will reveal their strategy too early to the competition. Currently, D* or E* do not have all the HD channels available. That is the truth how can anyone be blind to that.

I can tell you that VOOM will be around and not fold so easily. So no white Flags yet. VOOM is currently the HD Leader.

My biggest point of the report, is in almost a year of service is that there are only 30,000 subs,only a very small amount of even the HD set owners in the US want Voom,shut it down,use the money towards the MVDSS spectrum we have talked about before Mr.Mota,that way D* and E* and cable will have more competition that is not in use by anyone else(wireless),HD locals and RSN can be done in each local area and tons of bandwidth for hundreds of channels that is not restricted by how many satellites you have in the sky.

Here is some info I have found out about the spectrum:
TV & Internet Broadcast

Up to 2000 Digital MPEG2 Channels.
Up to 6 Gb/s Wireless Internet / Intranet Access Capacity
More than 200 km Radius Range with a 4 watt transmitter.
Very low cost ...

txcruiser,
After carefully looking at your posting history, I found out that 9 out of your last 10 posts were negative arguments against VOOM. What's you agenda in this forum?

Thanks for taking such an interest in my posting history.
It's interesting that those individuals who posts are more negative than positive must "have an agenda". The only "agenda" I have is to present my Voom experience in an honest way. It just happened to be more of a negative experience than positive.
Newbies need to see the "whole picture" instead of the lovefest that some would want to prevail here.
I wonder what your "agenda" is?

txcruiser said:
Thanks for taking such an interest in my posting history.
It's interesting that those individuals who posts are more negative than positive must "have an agenda". The only "agenda" I have is to present my Voom experience in an honest way. It just happened to be more of a negative experience than positive.
Newbies need to see the "whole picture" instead of the lovefest that some would want to prevail here.
I wonder what your "agenda" is?

See this post about my disappointing experience with Comcast. Now, if I apply your logic, I should go to every Comcast thread I can find in forums like AVS and tell "newbies" to quit and go VOOM. Right? ;)

Walter L. said:
See this post about my disappointing experience with Comcast. Now, if I apply your logic, I should go to every Comcast thread I can find in forums like AVS and tell "newbies" to quit and go VOOM. Right? ;)

Thank you for pointing out my obviously flawed logic. I'll try to only remember the good VOOM experience I had 10% of the time. I'm on my way out the door now to find some custom VOOM pom-poms this minute (where did you get yours at?)

Cablevision finds Voom getting poor reception

Cablevision finds Voom getting poor reception
BY HARRY BERKOWITZ
STAFF WRITER

September 10, 2004

Voom is slowing down.

The sign-up of new subscribers slowed in July and August at the already struggling nationwide satellite TV service that Cablevision Systems Corp. launched less than one year ago, the company revealed in a new regulatory filing.

"Unless we are able to reverse this trend and grow our customer base quickly and significantly, we are unlikely to have a successful" direct broadcast satellite business, Cablevision said in the filing with the Securities & Exchange Commission.

As of Aug. 31, Jericho-based Voom had 28,700 customers, with another 1,200 awaiting installation, up from 25,000 active customers June 30. Since launching the service in October, Voom has lost three of every 10 customers who signed up.

Voom competes with DirecTV and EchoStar Communications, which have a total of more than 23-million subscribers, and with cable companies, which have about 70 million.

Adding to the challenges for Voom, which stresses high-definition TV channels, DirecTV said Wednesday it will launch four new satellites by 2007 to expand programming capacity, especially for HDTV.

Voom's sign-up rate turned upward in April, May and June but then began to slide after Voom raised prices and scaled back direct marketing efforts "when it became apparent that we could not efficiently install a growing number of customers," the filing states.

Voom depends on outside installers, who have had to learn to install new types of equipment that sometimes has "operational issues."

"To be successful, we will need to have the capability to quickly install numbers of customers significantly in excess of the number of installations that created problems for us in June and July," the filing states.

Part of the problem lies in the digital antennas Voom provides to pick up local TV stations. Based on surveys of customers who cancel the service, "poor reception of local signals is a significant cause of our higher-than-anticipated churn rate," Voom said in the filing.

Voom, which until March 31 offered free service and until Aug. 1 offered free equipment and installation, is also having a big problem with freeloaders.

"We have a large number of installed customers who have never made any payments to us or who are otherwise not current in their payments to us," the filing states. "We have begun actively seeking to bring these accounts current or to terminate service."

To cut back reliance on direct marketing, Voom also is seeking to expand its network of retail outlets, which consists mainly of 1,600 Sears stores that have provided less than 5 percent of subscribers.

For 2004, Voom posted losses of $36 million in the first quarter and $61.6 million in the second quarter.

The regulatory filing is part of the company's preparation for the spinoff of Voom, along with three cable TV channels Cablevision owns, as a separate company with its own publicly traded stock. That spinoff is scheduled for this month, although it first must get SEC approval.

This is the same thing strained and filtered from the SEC filing. Isn't easier to spin-off a company as long as it doesn't look they can have a monopoly or something? Or am I totally off here.

That's one of the most laughable SEC filings I've ever read. Did they say anything even remotely positive that would want to make investors buy the stock???

Oh! they forgot to add one line to it:

"In addition, after further examining yesterday's announcement by Directv concerning their plans for HD, we find it increasingly unlikely our crappy company will be around 24 months from now and have placed our CEO on a suicide watch."

rtt2 said:
"Unless we are able to reverse this trend and grow our customer base quickly and significantly, we are unlikely to have a successful" direct broadcast satellite business, Cablevision said in the filing with the Securities & Exchange Commission.
In other words:

Unless we are able to reverse this trend and grow our customer base quickly and significantly, we will be "going out of business".

"Unless we are able to reverse this trend and grow our customer base quickly and significantly, we are unlikely to have a successful" direct broadcast satellite business
Gee, how about going with self-installs so people don't have to wait 6 installation attempts for some Bozo installer to show up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)