New info in SEC doc filed 9/2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
In principle I don't disagree Sean (though CBS, Fox, NBC and NFL ST might be called a tad more than very little.)
D* basically hasn't added TNT or premium channels yet, though VOOM doesn't have any of the networks.
And one would hope the RSNs are on the way to DirecTV.
But not yet.

I think we can tie Voom's new pricing model released over the summer, to it's decline in new subscribers. Marketing campaigns often test the market threshold, and then adapt to get the desired response.

I know that Voom needs to make more money, but there is always a business threshold. I would love to get a peek at their business model and break even points. I have a few friends that are waiting for the pricing to change and then jump on board the Voom bandwagon.

My Dad wanted to add another reciever to his home, and Voom asked him for $200. He said, "No way!" I found him a Voom installer that can do it for $49. This is another example of the pricing model hurting them.

I hope Voom and Cablevision can keep getting together and offer the YES network, MSGHD, and FOXNYHD up there, and also for a small price increase a way for people to get other RSN type channels.

In New York people are from all over, in Florida lots of people from all over come to retire or get a tan, it makes good sense to have an option in place if people want to, can subscribe to HD RSN from other areas.

Smthkd said:
If Cablevision didn't expect to sell off Voom, Why do you think they announced they are "LOSING" customers and that they are "LOSING" money because of Voom's lack of new subscribers!

Because if they didn't say this they open themselves up to stock holder lawsuits for withholding information.

D* must be doing something right, as they seem to keep adding customers. I guess the new customers must all be football fans, as some seriously beleive that the only reason people have D* is the NFL-ST. That's a good cop out. I will give you Voomers credit. You are a testy bunch. It shouldn't last much longer. :no

I love VOOM but nothing stays in business that doesn't make money. You dont have to have 20/20 vision to see that VOOM is going bye bye if they dont add subs and fast. I enjoy VOOM and miss it dearly, but how long can this go on? Low cash flow coming in with a high cash flow going out. There in it to make money not lose it. I see VOOM closing its doors and cashing out by selling their equipment to the highest bidder. Unless there is something that changes with the new sub numbers....theres really no way VOOM can survive.

I think D* keeps adding customers (and losing 2 billion in 3 years) is their multiple room deals and NFL-ST. D* sees people clinging on to their cable because they have an even BETTER multiple room deal (cable ready SDTV's usually work without boxes). In addition to the same channels D* has cable throws in INHD 1/2.

If Voom could come up with a piece of equipment that is tuned down for SD only that would help entice customers to go to Voom and convert their whole house. If Voom could pump out their DVR with a $10 a month lease deal like cable, then you have just have the financial deal cable offers with twice as much HD to record. Last would be committment deals that keeps subs around longer with Voom.

Cablevision Fans Eagerly Await Voom's Doom

Cablevision Fans Eagerly Await Voom's Doom
By George Mannes
Senior Writer
9/15/2004 7:07 AM EDT
TheStreet.com

URL: http://www.thestreet.com/tech/georgemannes/10182909.html

Like William Hung singing "She Bangs," Cablevision's (CVC:NYSE) new satellite service just may be so bad it's good.

That's the theory being put forward by one analyst, who believes that the worse the fledgling Voom operation performs, the better off investors in Cablevision will be.

"The prospects for the Voom business are sufficiently poor," says Sanford C. Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett, "that it's unlikely that that business will sustain itself long enough to do any lasting damage to the asset values of the remainder of Cablevision."

Moffett upgraded Cablevision to an outperform rating on Friday, and raised his target price for the stock from $21 to $24.

Any good news, however bad, would come as welcome relief to cable industry investors. Cablevision's shares, which have fallen from a 52-week high of $27.70 in January to a low of $16.13 in August, rose 8.3% over the past three trading days to close at $19.81 Tuesday.
Stomach Churning

In fact, Wall Street has lost its enthusiasm for the entire cable sector in recent months. Shares in Comcast (CMCSA:Nasdaq) have dropped 23% since January, and Cox's (COX:NYSE) fall has been reversed only by the decision of its closely held majority shareholder, Cox Enterprises, to launch a buyout offer inspired by the depressed share price.

Weighing particularly on Cablevision's shares has been Voom, which the company launched last fall as a service focusing on high-definition television.

While Voom has gotten a nice reception in the consumer press -- a columnist called Voom "like Christmas morning every day" for cinemaphiles -- Wall Street has taken a dim view of the service's ability to contend with the likes of DirecTV (DTV:NYSE) and EchoStar (DISH:Nasdaq) , which have more than 21 million subscribers between them.

And as Cablevision has acknowledged, Voom has had plenty of growing pains. As of August, Voom had 28,700 "activated customers," the company said in a recent Securities and Exchange Commission filing, and an additional 1,200 customers awaiting installation.

But the loyalty and the profitability of those customers is unclear. Since Voom's inception last October, says Cablevision, 30% of the customers who have signed on for the service subsequently dropped it.

For purposes of comparison, EchoStar reported its service had an average monthly churn, or customer-disconnect, rate of 1.71% in its latest quarter. At that rate, EchoStar would have lost less than 19% of customers since last October. DirecTV's churn rate is lower than EchoStar's, and was even lower earlier in its history; the company reported monthly churn of about one-half of 1% in 1996.

Furthermore, Cablevision says Voom has "a large number of installed customers who have never made any payments to us or who are otherwise not current in their payments to us," though it indicates that it stopped counting as subscribers "customers who were sufficiently delinquent in payment that they ceased to be considered 'subscribers' under our internal guidelines."
Fox, Henhouse, Hens

While Cablevision's unique selling proposition for Voom has depended on its HDTV content, it appears that that particular distinction will disappear in the foreseeable future. DirecTV, now under control of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. (NWS:NYSE) , said last week it would launch four new satellites in the coming years. Those launches would enable the broadcast of 500 local channels in HDTV in 2005 and an additional 1,000 local, and 150 national, channels in 2007.

But bad news for Voom, argues Moffett, is good news for Cablevision, which plans to shed Voom and other properties by the end of the month in a spun-off company known as Rainbow Media Enterprises.

Along with Voom in Rainbow -- a publicly traded company that will be controlled by the same Dolan family that's in charge of Cablevision -- will be three national programming services currently owned by Cablevision: American Movie Classics, The Independent Film Channel and WE: Women's Entertainment.

Moffett values the core networks at $1.4 billion, or at least $5 per Cablevision share. Post-spinoff, he values Cablevision at $19 per share. The combined $24 per Cablevision share is more than 15% higher than where Cablevision was trading Tuesday. One of the major weights on Cablevision asset valuations, indicates Moffett, is Voom.

Like other outsiders, Moffett gives Voom little chance of succeeding. DirecTV's announcement that it plans to launch four HDTV satellites "should put to rest any delusions of competitive advantage for Voom, and at the same time increase Voom's value to EchoStar, which will now be pressured to respond with its own HDTV strategy," says Moffett.

"Any indication that Voom might be shuttered would immediately unlock the full value of the networks," writes Moffett.

The likely failure of Voom to grow in popularity "will minimize cash drains and lead to a relatively timely closure of the business," Moffett writes. But there's a major risk, he points out: The Dolans may raise additional financing for Voom, "sustaining its losses and preventing realization of value for the core networks."

Moffett isn't the only analyst to hint that Voom is more of a burden than an opportunity. In July, Fulcrum Global Partners analyst Richard Greenfield noted that financing covenants for Rainbow prevented the company from spending more than $150 million annually on Voom and more than $600 million in total, barring a new financing.

That agreement, wrote Greenfield, "prevents Voom from completely destroying the value of the existing cable networks that are part of the Rainbow/Voom spin-off."

Sean Mota:
Should we have a single thread called "Voom's Doom Speculation" and merge all of these threads. Otherwise, everytime somebody find a new article we will have a new thread about the same BS.

This is just the same thing spun out by different pasty double-chinned economic experts. Because we all know that NASDAQ, NYSE and business are an exact and predictable science.

This is getting irritating. Everyone knows I'm a big proponent af Voom's demise but these never ending threads of Voom's Doom are even pissing ME off.

Everyone now realizes Voom will fail to exist shortly. So I ask the administrators to permenantly shut down ALL Voom forums.

This way we dont have to put up with a year of complaints and Voom Doom articles.

Dvlos said:
If Voom could come up with a piece of equipment that is tuned down for SD only that would help entice customers to go to Voom and convert their whole house. If Voom could pump out their DVR with a $10 a month lease deal like cable, then you have just have the financial deal cable offers with twice as much HD to record. Last would be committment deals that keeps subs around longer with Voom.

I think this is the reason why VOOM is failing. Its too easy to sub to DirecTV. They come over your house and give you the receivers. The STD receivers are so cheap they are free with a one year contract. With VOOM you have to have a HD receiver at every TV in your house ...HD capable or not. Why would you connect an HD receiver to a TV that isn't capable of a HD picture? Voom has to make it seem to be the end all of services....a service that gives you the most HD and the most SD Ch's for the money. I dont see that happening. But I hope I'm wrong.

All these different VOOM Doom threads are based on the SEC filing of 9/2 so I am merging all of them with that thread.

VOOM has about 30,000 subs and if they ALL sub to the $89.00 price then the maximum $ they are taking in $2,670,000 annually. They also have 1200 people that want to sub that they can not add because of their installations are done by outside companies.

We will assume that the $199 installation pays for the receiver and pays their installer his commission. In other words they break even, no outlay of money. Dish and Direct pay somewhere around $400 to $500 per new sub.

Say they were able to solve all their software and local channel issues and suddenly had 1,000,00 subs all at $89.00. They would be then be taking in $89,000,00. How much of this would they have to pay programmers and what is their operating expenses such as salaries and advertising?

Their current debt is $1.75 BILLION and they say they need additional money to expand the business. How can it succeed?

mjschuyler said:
VOOM has about 30,000 subs and if they ALL sub to the $89.00 price then the maximum $ they are taking in $2,670,000 annually. They also have 1200 people that want to sub that they can not add because of their installations are done by outside companies.

We will assume that the $199 installation pays for the receiver and pays their installer his commission. In other words they break even, no outlay of money. Dish and Direct pay somewhere around $400 to $500 per new sub.

Say they were able to solve all their software and local channel issues and suddenly had 1,000,00 subs all at $89.00. They would be then be taking in $89,000,00. How much of this would they have to pay programmers and what is their operating expenses such as salaries and advertising?

Their current debt is $1.75 BILLION and they say they need additional money to expand the business. How can it succeed?

You forgot to multiply by 12... 1,000,000 subs at $89/month is $1068 million/year. You also forgot the money making cable TV channels in the same company that have good cash flow to service the debt. The debt is not the worry of the new company, it is the expenses of VOOM that is the worry. If VOOM were to close up tomorrow, the cable channels would be able to service the debt without problems, it is the giant sucking sound of dollars flowing into VOOM that is the problem.

When the beloved Voom first came out and the few people rushed to it, wasn't one of the things they blastd D* about was thier 1 year commitment? I heard a lot of "I've got this and that, and no contract." Now I'm hearing people say that Voom should require a 1 or 2 year commitment. This will keep people from leaving. I doubt it. If your service and/or product sux, people would rather pay the early termination penalty to get out. It should cost about as much as the installation fee. Sounds like flip-flopping to me. :D

"The assimilation has come to a halt"

DobyMax said:
When the beloved Voom first came out and the few people rushed to it, wasn't one of the things they blastd D* about was thier 1 year commitment? I heard a lot of "I've got this and that, and no contract." Now I'm hearing people say that Voom should require a 1 or 2 year commitment. This will keep people from leaving. I doubt it. If your service and/or product sux, people would rather pay the early termination penalty to get out. It should cost about as much as the installation fee. Sounds like flip-flopping to me. :D

"The assimilation has come to a halt"
Pradike, is that you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)