New install coming!! ?s about cable runs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

protege26

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Princeton, WV
Ok all. I'm finally making the jump from E* to D*. The savings were just too good to be true. Saving over $200 over a 2yr contract and getting HD and a higher package (both things I don't have now!)

So here is my question. I'm going to have
  • HDDVR
  • HD
  • SD
  • SD
I assume I'll have the new HR24 for the main one. Does it use 1 cable? My dad has the 22 and it has two cables as inputs. In other words, will they be able to use my existing E* cabling?

For install (free). I have one TV that currently does not have a receiver. The room is right near where the dish will go. Will they drill holes through brick and whatnot to run the cable? I don't expect them to crawl around in the attic, but see nothing wrong with standing on the ground and drilling a hole to inside, running the cable through a grommet and place a jack on the interior wall. Will they do that?

I'm wondering how much I need to do before hand to make it easy for him. My dad was told no attic, so he ran all the cables thru the attic and down the walls and cut holes for the jack/plates to go.

What all am I looking at?

Hope you all can help me and can't wait to get it going! I looked on the online manuals for the receivers but they weren't much help.

Thanks!
K.R.

The majority of all installs now are SWiM installs, using a SWiM LNB (Dish) or a SWiM multiswitch. With SWiM it is a single cable to each receiver, even two tuner DVR's. SWiM is a requirement if you decide to go with whole house DVR service.

Ok. Thx for that info. I never understood why D* was using two cable runs when E* simply had the diplexer switch with one cable and it was done.

I won't be having Whole Home (MVR?) because I'm not gonna pay $99 each for 2 more HD receivers instead of SD. The TVs are the kids' rooms with old fashioned tube TVs that I'm not gonna spend the $ and replace.

Does it, or the HD receiver, require a certain type of cable? Some of the cables inside I would prefer to be white which I already have plenty of RG-6. Hoping I can use it to get the HD receiver and one of the SD receivers ready for when he gets here.

DirecTV requires RG6 solid copper core. Copper clad steel will also work, especially with short runs. If your white cable is not solid copper core they may or may not use it.

pro - do you know what local channel market you're in? (I don't know which DMA Princeton WV falls under & D*'s website is down now) In some local markets, (such as mine) they ONLY install HD receivers, so you could end up getting all HD equipment anyway.
(now that I think of it, are you sure that D* even carries your local channels???)

E* is for Echostar as that is the company that owns Dish. In fact we have a call center here and the signage even says Echostar. Only has Dish in a very small logo on the corner of he sign.

As for my DMA, I'm in Bluefield, WV. Direct does have locals in my area and has since last fall. And you bring up a good point on the HD boxes as I know the locals are only broadcast in HD.

My dad does not have HD service but was given two HR22s for his receivers. The locals are the only HD channels he receives. Crap. I just now talked to him and he said he started out with an HDDVR and an SD box and when locals came they put in an HD box. He later upgraded it to another HDDVR.

So it looks like i do have to have HD boxes all around. I wonder if that is gonna cost me an extra $198? That would suck if so. The current deal only has two free upgrades to HD boxes.

Thx for the info on the cables. I will double check what kind the white is to make sure it is compatible. I'm sure what E* put up around the house is RG6. I hope he can just re-use it. Would make things much simpler.

So it looks like i do have to have HD boxes all around. I wonder if that is gonna cost me an extra $198? That would suck if so. The current deal only has two free upgrades to HD boxes.

No, no - as long as you ONLY ask for SD boxes, you STILL get the HD boxes FREE, as that is REQUIRED in your market to get locals.

Something else you might want to consider - if you REALLY would like a 2nd DVR (which I would really recommend, since it's still only an extra $5/month) you could ask for a 2nd DVR, but request it be an SD DVR. You will ONLY be charged $99, but since you're in an MPEG4 locals market, you'll end up getting an HD DVR instead! :) ;)

No, no - as long as you ONLY ask for SD boxes, you STILL get the HD boxes FREE, as that is REQUIRED in your market to get locals.

Something else you might want to consider - if you REALLY would like a 2nd DVR (which I would really recommend, since it's still only an extra $5/month) you could ask for a 2nd DVR, but request it be an SD DVR. You will ONLY be charged $99, but since you're in an MPEG4 locals market, you'll end up getting an HD DVR instead! :) ;)

Good news! I did request to SD boxes so we should be in good shape on that front. Honestly, a 2nd DVR wouldn't do me much good. The kids don't really need one (want yes, need no lol) and the last TV is in our bedroom and it is just there to watch while on the treadmill. lol. But thanks for the suggestion.

Off to Lowe's to check on some white cable.

Oh, no one answered this one. Is drilling through the wall an putting in a jack considered part of the free "standard" installation?

This is a very poor assumption. DIRECTV is actively distributing several different models and which one you get is a question until it is installed and working.

Ok. Really doesn't matter to me which one it is. I'm not one of those that has to have the newest ones or anything. Long as it works and does as advertised I'm happy. LOL.

Good news! I did request to SD boxes so we should be in good shape on that front. Honestly, a 2nd DVR wouldn't do me much good. The kids don't really need one (want yes, need no lol) and the last TV is in our bedroom and it is just there to watch while on the treadmill. lol. But thanks for the suggestion.

Off to Lowe's to check on some white cable.

Oh, no one answered this one. Is drilling through the wall an putting in a jack considered part of the free "standard" installation?

yes sir it is....

If the question is brick, sometimes the answer is to go around (above or below).

That won't work at my house. The room is 4ft underground and we are talking concrete block and brick wall. They could come in through the ceiling, but there is no way to gain access to it as it is sheetrocked. Oh well, I'm sure he will figure out something. Worst comes to worst I'll just drill for the jack myself. I'm half tempted to do that anyway.

When my dad had his installed he already had the holes cut in the wall for the jacks and holes drilled in the sill plates already to come down from the attic. Because he already had that done, the guy went up into that attic with him, hooked up the splitters, and fed the cable down the wall. Whole thing took maybe 15 min. Guess it all depends on how you handle the situation.

Install is scheduled for 12-4 tomorrow so I guess I'll find out soon enuff! Oh, do I need to notify them on the automatic upgrade to HD receivers due to locals? Or will they know that to begin with? Will he have the correct receivers on his truck? I know E* had all sorts on their truck all the time, but wasn't sure if Direct did the same thing.

IF You run the lines (concrete jk) the installer will be thrilled and you'll be happier as the installer will be happier , ya see how that goes ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts