Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
"DirecTV 10 is currently operating at the 102.815° orbital location. As DirecTV has previously informed the Commission, that satellite suffered a post launch anomaly that has limited the capacity available in certain local markets. DirecTV believes that it can ameliorate this condition, but will need to discontinue commercial service from the satellite and relocate it slightly so that it is not within the cluster of it's other operational satellites. Accordingly, DirecTV intends to move DirecTV 10 to the 102.6° position to conduct the restorative procedure. During this migration, DirecTV 10 will continue to provide service to subscribers. However, over the course of this migration, DirecTV intends to transfer all traffic from DirecTV 10 to DirecTV 12, DirecTV's newest satellite which has just completed in-orbit testing and is expected to arive at the nominal 103° location on or about May 11, 2010. At the conclusion of the STA period, the satellite will be in a position for the corrective procedure to be attempted."

This is big, DirecTV 10 has had spotbeam (provides HD Locals) issues going back to launch. They plan to move all DirecTV 10 channels to DirecTV 12, then move DirecTV 10 slightly, attempt a repair, and move it back.

This may add some time to the expansion of HD channels (though DirecTV 12 has two more ConUS transponders, thus 10 channels could be added while repair is attempted, and they can always cut into PPV), but could result in signifiacant improvements in their ability to provide HD Locals for more markets!

The STA allows this to start May 14 and take up to 30 days. DirecTV 10 will move to 102.6 degrees WL.

Attachments

• STA_Request[1].pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 259
I guess it's good, but im not happy about waiting all this time to get this sat up to see it as a replacement, in hopes of a spotbeam fix on D10. I mean just how many freakin markets are there left?

Another month of listening to people cheer Directv on, wonder if our upcoming 5 in May (per satracer) will be 4 HBO's and a Cinemax? :rolleyes:

Hopefully they wont d*** around with it too long and get D10 back into service.

I can't imagine it would delay things more than a month or so. If they get more capacity from spotbeams - GO FOR IT - that will beneift lots of peope. Possibly not just new HD local markets, but more HD Locals (or subchannels) in existing markets too.

Yeah, Im just being selfish. Im still pissed at all these providers for wasting good space with PPV's when channels like BBCA and ESPNU are long overdue.

wasnt it suppose to be 30 new HD channels in May? Now its 5?

The release said 30 new channels "STARTING IN MAY". Never said they would do 30 in May - nor did they intend to. I'd expect 30 this summer, before the fall TV season so to speak.

The release said 30 new channels "STARTING IN MAY". Never said they would do 30 in May - nor did they intend to. I'd expect 30 this summer, before the fall TV season so to speak.
hmm I guess I should be in the 'slow' class then :rolleyes:...........

Attachments

• wacky.jpg
    wacky.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,267
Your image makes a good point.

This is the line from their original press release a little while ago:

These new channels will begin rolling out in May and will continue in the following few months bringing DIRECTV's total HD channel lineup to more than 160.

yeah its all good though Jason just a little dissapointed over here. Ive been paying for Both Dish and Directv for 2 + years now and with the 30 channels to launch was all set to use just directv, so a little pissy over here on my end to hear about the turn of events.

yeah its all good though Jason just a little dissapointed over here. Ive been paying for Both Dish and Directv for 2 + years now and with the 30 channels to launch was all set to use just directv, so a little pissy over here on my end to hear about the turn of events.

I think you'll be good to go in June or July. I'm in the same boat too. I'm spending $50 a month to get WGN HD this summer until D* gets it up (now that hockey is almost done not much need for canadian tv).

I don't think it will be too much longer, and I think they are smart enough that the first channels they start launching be some of the more requested ones, at least I hope they are :rolleyes:

By fixing D10 they will be maximizing the capacity of the satellite fleet they have now. Because after D12 goes up, this is it for a while. With D* just now starting to think about DirecTV-14 (an order for DirecTV-13 was canceled) it will probably be about 2-3 years before D* gets any more capacity.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)