Big News: DirecTV 12 to take DirecTV 10 load for spotbeam fix attempt

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Considering we arent getting a lot of HD add's from this sat, doesnt bode well for D* holding on in the HD race, unless they have another plan.

Considering we arent getting a lot of HD add's from this sat, doesnt bode well for D* holding on in the HD race, unless they have another plan.

We aren't permanently losing the CONUS capacity from D10. This is just a temporary thing. So assuming D10 goes back into service in a month or so (with it's 14 transponders) we should gain about 70-80 more HD channels. D12 has 16 CONUS transponders (compared to 14 from D11) and at D*'s normal 5 channels per transponder, that's 80 channels. Or at least capacity for 80 more. D*'s ability to negotiate contracts hasn't been too good lately.

For some reason, I thought 30 channels was all we were getting out of D12, totally. I musta read that wrong if its good for 80.

All this complaining about 30 HD channels not being on yet has missed the obvious questions:

1. How are they going to repair the satellite?

2. Why did they have to move it to repair it?

In other words are they going to try something so risky that they risk turning the satellite into a rock? It has to be more than simply turning on a backup part. They must be trying to reprogram some stuff and do not know if it will work beyond simulations they have tried.

All this complaining about 30 HD channels not being on yet has missed the obvious questions:

1. How are they going to repair the satellite?

2. Why did they have to move it to repair it?

In other words are they going to try something so risky that they risk turning the satellite into a rock? It has to be more than simply turning on a backup part. They must be trying to reprogram some stuff and do not know if it will work beyond simulations they have tried.

they move it slightly so when they fiddle with it it does not cause issues for d12 when it sits at 103.

DIRECTV 14 may be a replacement satellite.

It may not be.

Yeah, we don't know for sure what will happen. Remember that D12 was originally suppose to be a spare/replacement. Now it's an addition. And even if D14 replaces an existing satellite, it's very likely it will have more capacity than the one it replaces. So there will still be a net gain if D14 is a replacement for an older satellite.

Yeah, we don't know for sure what will happen. Remember that D12 was originally suppose to be a spare/replacement. Now it's an addition. And even if D14 replaces an existing satellite, it's very likely it will have more capacity than the one it replaces. So there will still be a net gain if D14 is a replacement for an older satellite.

Well, if all you are going to do is post intelligent, thoughtful information, I may have to stop reading your posts! ;)

Directv says 30 HD channels coming making there count 160 HD channels.

Directv was advertising CAPACITY for 200 HD CHANNELS. I hope 160 is not it.
Bring on HLN, TCM, E, AMC, BBCA, and more.
My local cable company has been adding HD and is starting to get a good list up. Theyve been adding 5-10 every few months lately.

The channels are for SUDDENLINK in Washington NC

702 WYDO-HD Fox Greenville, NC HD Broadcast (free qam)
707 WITN-HD-NBC Washington, NC HD Broadcast (free qam)
709 WNCT-HD-CBS Greenville, NC HD Broadcast (free qam)
712 WCTI-HD-ABC New Bern, NC HD Broadcast (free qam)
715 WUNC-HD-PBS Chapel Hill, NC HD Broadcast (free qam)
716 WGN HD HD Broadcast (free qam)

717 Bravo HD HD Basic
718 USA HD HD Basic
719 Syfy HD HD Basic
720 FX HD HD Basic
721 TNT HD HD Basic
722 TBS HD HD Basic
723 Fox Sports Carolinas HD HD Basic
724 ESPN HD HD Basic
725 ESPN 2 HD HD Basic
726 CNBC HD HD Basic
727 Fox News Channel HD HD Basic
728 The Learning Channel HD HD Basic
729 Animal Planet HD HD Basic
730 Discovery Channel HD HD Basic
731 Disney HD HD Basic
732 ABC Family HD HD Basic
733 AMC HD HD Basic
734 Home & Garden Television HD HD Basic
735 Food Network HD HD Basic
736 National Geographic HD HD Digital Variety Tier
737 Arts & Entertainment HD HD Basic
738 History HD HD Basic
739 The Travel Channel HD HD Basic
740 Turner Classic Movies HD HD Basic
741 tru TV HD HD Digital Variety Tier
742 Spike TV HD HD Basic
743 Speed Channel HD HD Digital Sports Tier
744 The Sportsman Channel HD HD Digital Sports Tier
745 Outdoor Channel HD HD Digital Sports Tier
746 CBS College Sports HD HD Digital Sports Tier
747 ESPN U HD HD Digital Sports Tier
748 The Tennis Channel HD HD Digital Sports Tier
749 CNN HD HD Basic
750 MSNBC HD HD Basic
751 Headline News HD HD Basic
752 Hallmark Channel HD HD Digital Family& Inspiration
753 Lifetime HD HD Basic
754 Lifetime Movie Network HD HD Digital Movie Tier
755 BET HD HD Basic
756 CMT HD HD Basic
757 MTV HD HD Basic
758 VH-1 HD HD Basic
759 Comedy Central HD HD Basic
760 E! Entertainment HD HD Basic
761 Nickelodeon HD HD Basic
762 Cartoon Network HD HD Basic
763 VERSUS HD HD Digital Sports Tier
764 The Golf Channel HD HD Basic
771 HD Theater HD Plus Tier
772 HDNet HD Plus Tier
773 HDNet Movies HD Plus Tier
774 MGM HD HD Plus Tier
775 Universal HD HD Plus Tier
780 HBO HD East HD Premium
785 Starz HD East HD Premium
790 Showtime HD East HD Premium
795 Cinemax HD East HD Premium

Directv says 30 HD channels coming making there count 160 HD channels.

Directv was advertising CAPACITY for 200 HD CHANNELS. I hope 160 is not it.
Bring on HLN, TCM, E, AMC, BBCA, and more.
My local cable company has been adding HD and is starting to get a good list up. Theyve been adding 5-10 every few months lately.
D12 has the capacity for 80, but it will be delayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in one of those unserved local HD markets, so I am glad to see the potential for more spotbeam capacity! I am tired of fiddling with antennas and pre-amps.....go big D!

I understand its nice to have locals in HD, but I guess they mean less to me because I always end up with OTA. I just can't watch them full time when I know OTA just looks better. If its all I had, fine, but if I can get OTA Ill take it any day.

I understand its nice to have locals in HD, but I guess they mean less to me because I always end up with OTA. I just can't watch them full time when I know OTA just looks better. If its all I had, fine, but if I can get OTA Ill take it any day.

Ill be honest, locals out of Birmingham with D* look better than most locals out of Mobile with OTA.

I am not sure how Mobile locals look through D*, in that case, I am sure OTA is better by some degree.

I'm sure they have a quasi goal to serve all markets with HD locals where financially viable (not an affilate demanding outragerous rates).

Few custoers want to mess with an antenna, very few. If they can get locals via cable but not satellite they get cable. If they get locals via Dish but not DirecTV they buy Dish. Markets like that have hugely lopsided subscriber rates between Dish and Direct.

I have no doubt how important getting that spotbeam bandwith and capabilities back is to DirecTv if it is possible, thus the try. In the end, it benefits all customers.

Remember, this isn't just more HD local markets, it can also mean more HD Locals or subchannels for existing markets.

Ill be honest, locals out of Birmingham with D* look better than most locals out of Mobile with OTA.

I am not sure how Mobile locals look through D*, in that case, I am sure OTA is better by some degree.

Mobile locals, especially CBS look not so hot on D* (CBS looks like crap with 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 sucking the space). OTA improves CBS a bit, but FOX and ABC look great OTA. CW looks good on D*.

Mobile locals, especially CBS look not so hot on D* (CBS looks like crap with 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 sucking the space). OTA improves CBS a bit, but FOX and ABC look great OTA. CW looks good on D*.

Yeah, I am not impressed with WKRG OTA at all. Still it looks better than the Hattiesburg CBS by far. Neither as good as sat locals on that channel out of birmingham.
Im not sure what sub stations CBS has out of birmingham if any.

I think you'll be good to go in June or July. I'm in the same boat too. I'm spending $50 a month to get WGN HD this summer until D* gets it up (now that hockey is almost done not much need for canadian tv).

I don't think it will be too much longer, and I think they are smart enough that the first channels they start launching be some of the more requested ones, at least I hope they are :rolleyes:

Jason, How and what Canadian channels are you referring to ?

Just curious . :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)