Big News: DirecTV 12 to take DirecTV 10 load for spotbeam fix attempt

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah, we don't know for sure what will happen. Remember that D12 was originally suppose to be a spare/replacement. Now it's an addition. And even if D14 replaces an existing satellite, it's very likely it will have more capacity than the one it replaces. So there will still be a net gain if D14 is a replacement for an older satellite.

And there may be a D-15 in waiting as a spare by then.

Mobile locals, especially CBS look not so hot on D* (CBS looks like crap with 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 sucking the space). OTA improves CBS a bit, but FOX and ABC look great OTA. CW looks good on D*.

Thats interesting .... :)

Up here CBS is hands down the leader in local HD picture quality.
CBS has been there for many years up here.

This is OTA as I don't use the locals thru D*.

Why not ?

How is 22,300 miles and different than 10,000 or 1,000
Because spacewalks are performed in Low Earth Orbit

"Highest altitude for manned non-lunar mission

* Gemini 11 crew Charles Conrad, Jr and Richard F. Gordon, Jr. fired their Agena Target Vehicle rocket engine on 14 September 1966, at 40 hours 30 minutes after liftoff and achieved an apogee of 1,374.1 km (853.8 mi)."

Because spacewalks are performed in Low Earth Orbit

"Highest altitude for manned non-lunar mission

* Gemini 11 crew Charles Conrad, Jr and Richard F. Gordon, Jr. fired their Agena Target Vehicle rocket engine on 14 September 1966, at 40 hours 30 minutes after liftoff and achieved an apogee of 1,374.1 km (853.8 mi)."

But we have new technology now, we should be able to walk any where !

But we have new technology now, we should be able to walk any where !

Q. How much does it cost to launch a Space Shuttle?
A. The average cost to launch a Space Shuttle is about $450 million per mission.
. How fast does a Shuttle travel? What is its altitude? How much fuel does it use?
A. Like any other object in low-Earth orbit, a Space Shuttle must reach speeds of about 17,500 miles per hour (28,000 kilometers per hour) to remain in orbit. The exact speed depends on the Space Shuttle's orbital altitude, which normally ranges from 190 miles to 330 miles (304 kilometers to 528 kilometers) above sea level, depending on its mission.

Each of the two Solid Rocket Boosters on the Space Shuttle carries more than one million pounds of solid propellant. The Space Shuttle's large External Tank is loaded with more than 500,000 gallons of super-cold liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen, which are mixed and burned together to form the fuel for the orbiter's three main rocket engines.
Being this is the cost for a mission that is 22,000 miles short of where the satellite is located I don't think anybody could justify the cost even if it was possible.

Q. How much does it cost to launch a Space Shuttle?
A. The average cost to launch a Space Shuttle is about $450 million per mission.
. How fast does a Shuttle travel? What is its altitude? How much fuel does it use?
A. Like any other object in low-Earth orbit, a Space Shuttle must reach speeds of about 17,500 miles per hour (28,000 kilometers per hour) to remain in orbit. The exact speed depends on the Space Shuttle's orbital altitude, which normally ranges from 190 miles to 330 miles (304 kilometers to 528 kilometers) above sea level, depending on its mission.

Each of the two Solid Rocket Boosters on the Space Shuttle carries more than one million pounds of solid propellant. The Space Shuttle's large External Tank is loaded with more than 500,000 gallons of super-cold liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen, which are mixed and burned together to form the fuel for the orbiter's three main rocket engines.
Being this is the cost for a mission that is 22,000 miles short of where the satellite is located I don't think anybody could justify the cost even if it was possible.

Who the hell cares ?

I make a joke and post about replacing a laptop and I get a lecture ..... sheeesh :rolleyes:

And even if D14 replaces an existing satellite, it's very likely it will have more capacity than the one it replaces. So there will still be a net gain if D14 is a replacement for an older satellite.
Unless the satellite goes to a slot where there is licensed capacity that hasn't already been used to its fullest, they wouldn't be able to turn any of this additional capacity on. Don't look for much in the way of additional CONUS capacity.

Hugely beneficial scenarios are happy to theorize about, but you must temper them with the rules and physics that apply.

im still interested in how the plan on repairing this thing....spacewalk? :)
Someone at Boeing has likely come up with a theory for rattling things around to dislodge something or establish a new electrical path for whatever is keeping the satellite from functioning at full capacity.

A manned mission (or an unmanned mission of a rescue vehicle) isn't practical. The distance to the Clarke Belt is a little less than 10% of of the distance between the Earth and the Moon (average 237,857 miles). The Clarke Belt is a veritable asteroid field of functioning and non-functioning satellites.

Unless the satellite goes to a slot where there is licensed capacity that hasn't already been used to its fullest

You don't know what frequency will be used for Directv-14 any more than anybody does except for those at Directv. So my optimistic view could be just a valid as your usual negative crap. Why don't we wait until we see the requests to the FCC before you declare Directv-14 useless.
ohlord.gif

I wonder if some of the spots didn't check out on the new bird and this is just a smoke mirror so they can setup d10 to pick up the slack.

I've seen it theorized that some spot beams issued did occur on D12 but they were able to figure how to fix them. This fix is now what will be applied to D10.

However, I've also seen it theorized that they've had this fix ready for a while but couldn't use it until D12 was ready since they needed D12 to take over D10's load.

But in reality nobody except those at D* really know.

This is the list they sent me for new HD channels.
ESPNU 614
Lifetime 252
MSNBC 356
Telefutura 74
Travel Channel 277
Univision 402
WGN America 307
HBO 2 (east) 502
HBO Zone 509
Starz Cinema 531
Starz In Black 530
Starz Encore (east) 535
Movie Channel Xtra 556
Showtime Beyond 550
Showtime Next 551
Showtime Women 552
Comcast SportsNet (Bay Area) 696
Comcast SportsNet (California) 698
FSN Florida 654
GolTV 620

and 24 channels being moved.
Is this what everyone else got with there bill..?

Unless the satellite goes to a slot where there is licensed capacity that hasn't already been used to its fullest, they wouldn't be able to turn any of this additional capacity on. Don't look for much in the way of additional CONUS capacity.

Hugely beneficial scenarios are happy to theorize about, but you must temper them with the rules and physics that apply.

You actually have NO INFORMATION regarding this as to what D* is actually doing.

This is the list they sent me for new HD channels.
ESPNU 614
Lifetime 252
MSNBC 356
Telefutura 74
Travel Channel 277
Univision 402
WGN America 307
HBO 2 (east) 502
HBO Zone 509
Starz Cinema 531
Starz In Black 530
Starz Encore (east) 535
Movie Channel Xtra 556
Showtime Beyond 550
Showtime Next 551
Showtime Women 552
Comcast SportsNet (Bay Area) 696
Comcast SportsNet (California) 698
FSN Florida 654
GolTV 620

and 24 channels being moved.
Is this what everyone else got with there bill..?

I don't get a bill, so I can't look at the info you have.
That looks like a good start thou.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)