New install going bad need some advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gigapower

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Ok so I ordered two R15s and a new dish from Value Electronics(btw - this is not negative to VE any way) and the local installer was set to come out on Friday, guy called and said they double booked him but he'd be happy to come out Saturday, so I said sure thing you can come out Saturday and I mention to him that we are going to need to run two interior wall lines ok. So I wake up at the crack of dawn for the installer to show up, not one of my favorite things to do definetely....appointment time comes and no installer, to make a long story short installer shows up on Saturday almost 2 hours late! When he gets here he steps into my house and I show him what we are doing and he immediately freaks out and says that he can't it, but he has a buddy who might be willing to run the lines. Buddy can't won't come to my town to do the job as its not worth it, ok that is fine. Installer is like well guess that is it I'll see you later, tries to pack up the equipment and head off, I stop him and make him leave my $200 worth of equipment with me, after a bit of a showdown he finally agrees and off he goes.

Well I talk to my dad and he says that we can do it no problem, so we ran the lines, mounted the dish on the roof pointed it according to the settings the R15 told us to set it to and we are getting no signal on any of the sats, transponders, tuners, etc. Any advice? My body hurts so bad from crawling though my attic all day and going up and down ladders.

Sorry to hear, but can we get some details:

1. Cables used & length.
2. Dish type.
3. Are you 110% sure the mast is plumb & level?
4. Are the line run direct from dish to the receivers, or any additional parts in the lines?
5. What is you zip code.

Thanks

gigapower said:
Ok so I ordered two R15s and a new dish from Value Electronics(btw - this is not negative to VE any way) and the local installer was set to come out on Friday, guy called and said they double booked him but he'd be happy to come out Saturday, so I said sure thing you can come out Saturday and I mention to him that we are going to need to run two interior wall lines ok. So I wake up at the crack of dawn for the installer to show up, not one of my favorite things to do definetely....appointment time comes and no installer, to make a long story short installer shows up on Saturday almost 2 hours late! When he gets here he steps into my house and I show him what we are doing and he immediately freaks out and says that he can't it, but he has a buddy who might be willing to run the lines. Buddy can't won't come to my town to do the job as its not worth it, ok that is fine. Installer is like well guess that is it I'll see you later, tries to pack up the equipment and head off, I stop him and make him leave my $200 worth of equipment with me, after a bit of a showdown he finally agrees and off he goes.

Well I talk to my dad and he says that we can do it no problem, so we ran the lines, mounted the dish on the roof pointed it according to the settings the R15 told us to set it to and we are getting no signal on any of the sats, transponders, tuners, etc. Any advice? My body hurts so bad from crawling though my attic all day and going up and down ladders.

First, are there any trees REMOTELY in the way of the sat signals? If not,
is the mast or post PERFECTLY plumb? Are all of your connections tight on the dish and cabling? Now, double check ALL of the settings for azimuth, angle and elevation. When everything seems to be alright, SLOWLY move the dish across the azimuth setting, leaving it in each position for 30 seconds or so to allow the receiver to lock onto the signal. Hope this helps.

Chip

charper1 said:
Sorry to hear, but can we get some details:

1. Cables used & length.
2. Dish type.
3. Are you 110% sure the mast is plumb & level?
4. Are the line run direct from dish to the receivers, or any additional parts in the lines?
5. What is you zip code.

Thanks

Double sheilded RG6 coax, about 75ft each.
3LNB oval, LNB said Sharp on it I believe
bubble is in the circle
direct runs

Did you actually “peak” the dish by moving it side to side, up/down while looking at a meter for maximum signal? Even the best installers who can drop a dish on a mast and get instant pictures still need to peak the dish for maximum signal.
Bob

I always use a TV and if possible a receiver within eye and ear of the dish while pointing and peaking. It's just way too hard to find the satellites, then peak them when you're up on the roof and the feedback is via friend or family downstairs.

Ok, call me impatient... :)
Cheers,
Tom

I would suggest you call Value Electronics and let them know what happened so they make sure the installer doesn't get paid for your install.

Depending on how the system is setup, the installer might get paid since the account is now active.

I hate to say it, lazy ass installers are the weak link in this whole industry!

In addition since you did do your own install, you might be able to get some compansation from Value Electronics since they are not paying a fulfillement company to do your install!

gigapower said:
Double sheilded RG6 coax, about 75ft each.
3LNB oval, LNB said Sharp on it I believe
bubble is in the circle
direct runs
Did you set the skew and is correct ??
Zip started with 74 must be texas.

O.k. you at out side the O.K. city, your dish should point to the Dallas position, I think skew maybe set at 71.

Your in Owasso outside of Tulsa. Your skew is 71 and the elevation is 45 to 46 if the mast is plumb. Use a compass and you should be pointing just a few degrees right of direct south.

The best level that I have used is the Israeli made Post-Rite sold at Sears for $5.99. It is a post level with two bubbles spaced 90 degrees apart on a vertical hinge. The magnets don't work that well, but the elastic strap holds it firmly on the "J" pole. It's worth having, if you do a lot of installs. Forget the bubble level that fits on the inside of the mast. It requires you to get up and increase your center of gravity to look at it from the top, which can be dangerous on a steeply pitched roof. With the Post-Rite, you can do everything while sitting on the roof's surface and still have access to see the levels, without moving your position above and back down to the mounting.

Set the skew or tilt and elevation correctly on the dish correctly for the locality. Place the dish back on the pole and tighten the vertical clamp bolts just tight enough to take up all of the wobble. Swing the dish horizontally until you get the highest signal levelon the meter. Tighten the vertical sleeve mounting bolts. Check the TV to verify signals for each satellite position.

The R15 tells me to set the tilt(skew) at 72 and elevation at 46 with a plumb mast, which it is. I've got the dish pointed right at 198 which again is what the R15 tells me to set it to. Using a meter all my lines are showing connectivity so I don't think my lines are the problem. I'm beyond frustrated and if I didn't love the DirecTV service so much I'd probably load it all up and send it back. I want this to work.

Try moving back to the left 3 degrees this area should be at 195 degrees. I have a phase 3 dish hooked up for ota guide info for my directv hd tuner. I am in east Tulsa and peaked my dish in the high 90's on all three sats. It sounds like you are close.

SUCCESS!!!! Many, many, many thanks to everyone here at the forums and especially Robert from Value Electronics! I will never buy my DirecTV hardware from anyone else. They have been nothing but a pleasure to work with.

My dish was pointed too far to the southeast, did several ever so slight adjustments and finally had signal. My wife called shortly after I got it all fixed and I felt so relieved to be able to say yes you will be able to watch Medium in 3D tonight, something she has been going on about all weekend. Again thanks a lot to everyone here!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)