New Install Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

roofnron

Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Catawba, VA
I wanted to ask the opinion of some pros. I have a Genie and 3 wired minis for about 2 weeks. A problem on 1 of the minis is when watching Fox News the picture and audio pixilates badly, in clear weather. Only noticing on the one mini. I called and customer service reset the box and it started working fine again but less than 8 hours later its doing it again. I hit the reset on the mini myself next time and again in a few hours it's doing it again. Now its daily morning and night when i have the channel on.

Is this a bad mini? I don't imagine it is a dish alignment issue since Fox works fine on other TV's. I haven't noticed any other channel doing this but we don't watch many channels on this particular TV.

Another minor issue that has happened on 2 different minis is the sound muted and had to change the channel and go back for it to correct itself.

Should I insist that Directv replace this box or there any other troubleshooting I should do first? I don't want this to drag on when I call again to where they are trying to charge me for replacing this box.

Thanks

:welcome to Satelliteguys roofnron!

Have you tried swapping out one of the working minis for the one that has issues? Since it's a new install there should be no service charge if they have to come to your house. There is never a charge for equipment after you pay the original lease fee unless you are upgrading before you are eligible.

It would tell you if the mini or the wiring might be the problem.

Reactions: Jimbo
I left another mini running last night on the channel. The audio chopping woke me up and I noticed the badly pixelated picture so it's not limited to the one mini. This morning all working fine for now. I am leaving the Genie box running on Fox News to see if it starts on that TV today. Do you know which satellite this channel comes in on so maybe I could check signal level? (and what minimal level I should look for) It's raining and cloudy here today so I know if I call customer service will blame that. I have checked to make sure all connections are tight.

If two different minis show the same issue when you move them to that room the implication is that it isn't the mini, it's the cabling, or its the Fox news signal.
Fox news is on 99CB TP8. It should be around high80s to mid 90s, in fact all your 99ca/cb/103ca/103cb signals should be in the same ballpark. Post back when you have checked them.

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts