New Install Questions

clark251

Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
Hi, I am finally switching from Cablevision to Dish. The cable prices are just killing me and I what more HD channels, so I took Dish up on their offer. I ordered the AT 200 W/ HD and all the movie channels. I have a total of four TVs, two hd using the VIP211 and two SD using two 311's. I have a few questions about the install and the receiver phone line requirements.
1) What exactly will the dish installer install? How many sat's, etc.
2)How many receivers need to be connected to a phone line to avoid being charged extra?
FYI: I am in Central NJ.
Thank you for your time. Bye bye, cable hello dish!

THe installer came today and gave me some bad news. I cannot get dish unless he drills two holes into the foundation of my home for cables. I refused the installation because the install would comprmise the sability of my foundaton. I know this install can work, please help me. I have two cable feeds already from my cable provider. All the other details are in my above post. Can someone tell me how to make this work?

Not sure where you live or what kind of foundation you have but why would 2 small holes compromise the stability of your foundation?? Also cant they just go into a wall or up to an attic??

if you want more then 2 boxes then you need to have more lines going in the house. you need at least 1 line per satellite or a line for each receiver. it's your call ether run more cables your self or have tech do it

THe installer came today and gave me some bad news. I cannot get dish unless he drills two holes into the foundation of my home for cables. I refused the installation because the install would comprmise the sability of my foundaton.

I've got some more bad news.. if two holes will compromise the stability of your house foundation, I think you may need to reconsider satellite TV altogether and focus some of the money spent for monthly televesion on your house instead. :D

As an experienced structual engineer, I can't see how two holes would cmpromise the structual stability of a foundation, unless you have stressed skin construction. That is only used for aircraft, spacecraft, and other specially engineered structures.

Yes...What kind of foundation do you have?

The foundation is a couple of feet of concrete. I have been having problems with flooding and want to reduce the chance of adding to my troubles. Can't I just split the lines like with cable?

If you already have lines into the room you can use the same cables as long as it's rg-6 and not 59 wire...If you do not have cable to those rooms you will have to get them installed by wall fishing, drilling through the floor, drilling through the wall, or drilling through the ceiling. With all those methods it should be secured from weather by either a feedthrough bushing, or a wall plate. there is another way to do it with a remote system that will transmit signal from the receiver to the tv without cables...but that would be way too complicated, expensive, and unreliable. Just figure out how and where you would prefer for the wires to come in to the room and ask if it is possible

The home is prewired for cable with two coax outlets at every room. I just only have two feeds, thats the problem.

so you're saying that the cables in the rooms are hooked to splitters at one central location? If so, it wouldn't be hard for the installer to barrel the sat feeds to those pre-existing cables. He would need to use a dp twin, dp dual, and a 34 switch in order to do that, but that would give you your 4 sat feeds to run to the rooms. Alternately, you could get dish to make that 2 dual tuner hd's (2nd output is standard def) and that would cut down on the fees for additional receivers. You would just put the receivers in the rooms that have hd...then you could do away with the 34 switch and just use a dpp

so you're saying that the cables in the rooms are hooked to splitters at one central location? If so, it wouldn't be hard for the installer to barrel the sat feeds to those pre-existing cables. He would need to use a dp twin, dp dual, and a 34 switch in order to do that, but that would give you your 4 sat feeds to run to the rooms. Alternately, you could get dish to make that 2 dual tuner hd's (2nd output is standard def) and that would cut down on the fees for additional receivers. You would just put the receivers in the rooms that have hd...then you could do away with the 34 switch and just use a dpp

Yes all the cables run to one central location where they are split. Lets say I want to use the dp twin, dp dual and 34 switch. Exactly want would be connected to what. The installer guy did not think of this so I probably will have to explain it to him.

Problem solved everyone. I just had a quick conversation with a great sales rep at dish. He told me about a little something called flat coax, wonderful stuff. Thankyou everyone that tried to help.

Here are a couple of diagrams for some of the suggestions for the least ammount of holes in your house. However if you choose the one with the extra hole, **I take NO responsibility for any structural collapse that the hole may cause** ha. The first is the only way to leave it at 2. The second is the way to hook up the receivers that you want had originally ordered. 3 is the minimum on that depending on which sats you need to look at (possibly more for hd locals internationals etc.)

Attachments

• 3 hole 4 room 2HD.JPG
    3 hole 4 room 2HD.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 2 hole 4 room 2HD.JPG
    2 hole 4 room 2HD.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 120
just heads up get your own flat cable because not every tech has it with them in a vans. and make sure it is RG-6

Flat cable is crap. I really don't see why you can't just run it the way the guy originally suggested. You should know that the average installer probably has 3-5 jobs(or more) a day, and really does not have time to plan out a custom install for you. He also pretty much has to use what the work order calls for, or modify it, which is a pain and if he's a contractor he runs the risk of not getting paid for the job at all(yep, It's been happening in my office quite frequently lately).

Back to flat cable; it's my understanding that Dish does not approve the use of it. The only time I use it is in apartment buildings where most of the installs are temporary at best. Yet you said a Dish Rep suggested it. huh, more contradiction on what we are and are not supposed to do. I guess the bottom line is the bottom line.

Hi, I am finally switching from Cablevision to Dish. The cable prices are just killing me and I what more HD channels, so I took Dish up on their offer. I ordered the AT 200 W/ HD and all the movie channels. I have a total of four TVs, two hd using the VIP211 and two SD using two 311's. I have a few questions about the install and the receiver phone line requirements.
1) What exactly will the dish installer install? How many sat's, etc.
2)How many receivers need to be connected to a phone line to avoid being charged extra?
FYI: I am in Central NJ.
Thank you for your time. Bye bye, cable hello dish!
one dish 500 antenna plus a 61.5 wing dish for your hd stuff..This is because in your location you are unable to "see" the 129 satellite..A second dish is required..If you aer using single tunwers (211/311) there is no option to waive additional outlet feed by connecting to a land based phone line..You'll be charged $4.99 for each receiver after the first one..This is non negotiable..
PS I am originally from Northern NJ....Bergen County...You are in what?..Monmouth, Middlesex, Union ,Somerset or Mercer County?..

THe installer came today and gave me some bad news. I cannot get dish unless he drills two holes into the foundation of my home for cables. I refused the installation because the install would comprmise the sability of my foundaton. I know this install can work, please help me. I have two cable feeds already from my cable provider. All the other details are in my above post. Can someone tell me how to make this work?

Look, two small 3/8 inch holes isn't going ot hurt your house in the least..If that 3were the case 75% of all installs would never get doen...Let the guy drill the holes...I think you are being a bit "high maintenence"...Relax..We are not out there to ruin your home...Most of us take pride in what we do and would not do anything to a customer's home we would not do to our own home...
If the "cabl;e feeds" you mentioned are continuous or home runs, of high quality material and meet E*specs and are located where your tv's are set, the tech should use this existing wriring..However if one of these requirements are not met, he will run NEW cables

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts