New install -- worth bothering with OTA for locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

miamicanes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
How big of a difference is there between the picture quality for OTA and DirecTV for local HD stations?

Is it a fairly subtle difference, to the point where you'd have a hard time telling the difference between the two unless you literally had two identical TVs side by side to compare directly? Or is it like the difference between OTA and cable in some parts of unincorporated Dade County (Comcast or Charter, I believe), where the difference is so profound, even people who normally wouldn't even notice end up going out and buying a terrestrial antenna for local HD because the cable HD locals look so bad?

Put another way, is it common for people with new installs and HD locals available from the satellite to be sufficiently motivated to go to the trouble of adding an antenna to get them OTA instead... or is it rare/almost unheard of?

How big of a difference is there between the picture quality for OTA and DirecTV for local HD stations?

Is it a fairly subtle difference, to the point where you'd have a hard time telling the difference between the two unless you literally had two identical TVs side by side to compare directly? Or is it like the difference between OTA and cable in some parts of unincorporated Dade County (Comcast or Charter, I believe), where the difference is so profound, even people who normally wouldn't even notice end up going out and buying a terrestrial antenna for local HD because the cable HD locals look so bad?

Put another way, is it common for people with new installs and HD locals available from the satellite to be sufficiently motivated to go to the trouble of adding an antenna to get them OTA instead... or is it rare/almost unheard of?

In most markets the difference is small. Don't forget that there are many stations that Directv doesn't carry in hd and may never.

Don't forget that there are many stations that Directv doesn't carry in hd and may never.
Does that mean I'm entitled to demand either a HR20 or free ATSC tuner for the HR21, plus a proper antenna & wiring for it at the time I place the order (or when the installer shows up) if there's at least one HD local station that's not currently available via satellite?

If it's free, and OTA integrates into the channel lineup as seamlessly with DirecTV as it did with Voom (RIP), I'd love to have them just go ahead and install a terrestrial antenna too. But if DTV carries the local HD stations I care about, and they don't look dramatically worse than OTA, I could live without the antenna if I'd have to pay extra for it...

Does that mean I'm entitled to demand either a HR20 or free ATSC tuner for the HR21, plus a proper antenna & wiring for it at the time I place the order (or when the installer shows up) if there's at least one HD local station that's not currently available via satellite?

If it's free, and OTA integrates into the channel lineup as seamlessly with DirecTV as it did with Voom (RIP), I'd love to have them just go ahead and install a terrestrial antenna too. But if DTV carries the local HD stations I care about, and they don't look dramatically worse than OTA, I could live without the antenna if I'd have to pay extra for it...

No, there is no guaranty of ota. You can get the add on atsc tuner for the HR21 soon, but they are not out yet. The antenna is up to you, also. Have you looked up what is available to you? DIRECTV - Local Channels

The integration of the AM21 into the HR21 guide is seamless (you do need to go through some setup items, just as with the HR20). There is no scan function and a database is used. The AM21 will be $59. The tuners are a bit better than those in the HR20.

In most markets the locals look as good as, and I have heard in some cases better than OTA.

The stations that D* will more than likely not have for you at this point are PBS, CW, and the sub channels (weather, ect).

Just because they dont carry those, doesnt mean they will help you get set up with an OTA antenna to get them. Some installers will help you install it, depending on how much you want to pay him and how difficult it will be.
Cant hurt to ask for the add on tuner when it is out, but I doubt they will be giving them away for free that soon after release.

Here in Phoenix the OTA picture quality on all of the stations that DirecTV carries are noticibly better than the DirecTV channels. Of course, there are other OTA channels that DirecTV doesn't carry. If you have never seen the Phoenix OTA channels and tune to the DirecTV channels, you'll say the picture is pretty good. This is what I call YDMWYCS or You Don't Miss What You Can't See.

I don't know about being ENTITLED to DEMAND FREE anything.

Sorry, but this kind of talk really gets my goat.

It's called choice and comparison shopping. Because one provider of goods and services does not offer everything you're looking for does not mean you can demand they provide it and free at that.

D* doesn't provide me with the HD broadcast of our CBS affiliate. D* carries the SD. It has all the other local HD channels but not that one. (carriage dispute between D* and the local affiliate $$$$$) And this time of year it could have been very frustrating.

Is it right that I demand D* provide me with an STB with a FREE OTA tuner AND complete FREE OTA set up to see that ONE channel?

Of course not. DISH has the HD feed. So I COULD go to Dish, or I could BUY an OTA setup (which I did) or I could go to TWC :eek:

Ford's don't have Hemi's. Want a Hemi? Buy a Dodge and enjoy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)