New installer install time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TonyH

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
WV
I have been doing this now for three weeks... It seems to be taking me more time then what I hear the other tech's bragging about. Just curious how far off I really am concerning how long an install is taking. Currently a one or two box install is taking 2 to 2 1/2 hours... is this too long? I hear other techs bragging about 1 1/2hour intalls. Now in my defense.... some of the service calls I'm rolling up on are not done according to spec. Specifically, not grounded, no ground blocks at all, poorly mounted dish, cable runs sloppy looking....which could explain why some of the techs are getting done so much sooner. Now dont get me worng, I do plan to continue meeting spec's and not all the jobs I see are done out of spec. about 50% are out of spec.

I was in the satellite business for 11 years doing both C/Ku dishes and Directv/Dishnet installs. On rare occasions, if everything was perfect and just happened to fall into place, I might finish a full install of a DSS in 2 hours. Usually it took longer to do it right. If these guys are bragging about doing 1 1/2 hour installs, they're probably not doing quality work. Plus, every installation is different - length of cable runs, signal distibution, dish mounting, OTA, etc., so the time is going to vary.

Speed comes with time. Your only 3 weeks in, dont worry about the speed. One thing to remeber is to keep yourself organized. Carry your tools and parts close to your jobsite, so you not going back and forth from your vehicle. I always used to carry a small parts container with everything I needed for that job. You'll be able to figure out your site survey quicker every time.

Thanks... so I'm really not that far off... I do understand what you mean about every install being different. the second week all the installs required me to mount the ground blocks on block... I know thiw does not take that long but it does take longer then just screwwing the provided screws in to wood. These little additional things add up on each install. The third week, a better week, all of the installs were straight forward... little deviations from a standard install so I was pleased... The time it takes to activate is also eatting me up... takes 20 minutes sometimes to get activated because the customer has not selected the programming and spends an additional 5 or 10 minutes on the phone after I call to activate and go thru my bit... burns me up sometimes....

1 box, 1 hour average. add 20 min per addl box, avg.

you will get faster with time.

been doing directv 6 years now.

Thanks... does the time you mention also include the preinstallment worksheet as well as the activation.... By the time you verify line of sight, find you ground sourse, find where your going to mount it, cable routes, room location and how your going to get there then explain it to the customer and do the pre work agreement. has to be at least 10 to 20 minutes there... then activation... OMG... can take 5 to 15 minutes... that's 15 minutes to 35 minutes... are you including this time?

TonyH said:
Thanks... does the time you mention also include the preinstallment worksheet as well as the activation.... By the time you verify line of sight, find you ground sourse, find where your going to mount it, cable routes, room location and how your going to get there then explain it to the customer and do the pre work agreement. has to be at least 10 to 20 minutes there... then activation... OMG... can take 5 to 15 minutes... that's 15 minutes to 35 minutes... are you including this time?

Once you get a system together you will get faster.

TonyH said:

peinstallment worksheet ROTFLMAO.....pre work agreement:eek: :eek: ..

you are HSP ....huh??? ahhhh i was once also, till they cut the pay..

lol... well now I know what it stands for but I still don't know what it is... I'm a contractor if that helps... The shop I work out of has contractors and direct employees... although the contractors represent about 70% of the installers.

I have done 1 receiver installs RIGHT in as little as 45 min. Most often cause the customer is in a mobile home. Lets break it down Greeting customer and going over install 5-10 mins, Getting Dish mounted, together, and pointed 10 mins, running line 10 mins, mounting ground block and grounding dish 5 mins, putting receiver in 5 mins then activating on new IVR system and depending on if the customer has ever used satellite before depends on the rest. Again this is the perfect install when you don't have a dish up already or lines ran.

I have ran into jobs that take all day and even one that took 2 days.

Do it right and the speed will come like dragon002 and grydlok said.

Also make sure when you get there to put the customer on the phone right then and tell them to make sure they select programming. Then later ask them which package they so you know they done it. Most customers will not think you are being nosey cause they think you need it to program there receivers.

Edit: this will also save the one job that cancels cause the CSR did not tell them about the extra $5 dollers per receiver or some kind of BS like that.

Last edited:
I like that.... do they call 1800directv or the activation number I call? I have noticed 50% of the time when I call the activation number that I go through my speal... serial, RID, and access number.. then they ask to speak tp the customer which takes another 5 or 10 minutes... I usually use this time to collect and put away my tools but I'd rather it be done prior.. That will definitely save time.

The Tate said:
I have done 1 receiver installs RIGHT in as little as 45 min. Most often cause the customer is in a mobile home. Lets break it down Greeting customer and going over install 5-10 mins, Getting Dish mounted, together, and pointed 10 mins, running line 10 mins, mounting ground block and grounding dish 5 mins, putting receiver in 5 mins then activating on new IVR system and depending on if the customer has ever used satellite before depends on the rest. Again this is the perfect install when you don't have a dish up already or lines ran.

I have ran into jobs that take all day and even one that took 2 days.

Do it right and the speed will come like dragon002 and grydlok said.

the first paragraph is sweet! sounds like me. but 2 DAYS:eek:

I did my first wll fish the other day.... lol... miss judged it all together... took me 3 hours.... there aways the painful first I guess...

Well there is a story behind the 2 day install. The funny thing is it was prewired.:D
It was an 11 receiver install with 9 receivers going in the house and 2 going into the mans barn. The house was around 7000sq feet and I hate to think what it was worth. Just to give you an idea the man got lost in his own house upstairs!:eek: When we went up there he did not know where his tv's were cause he said he has not been up there in over a year. And you might question and wonder why I did. The man owns a lumber company that is not open to the public. He sells to lumber yards that sell to the public so he had $$$$$$$$$$$.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)