New IO Customer...

moviesbx

Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Bronx, NY
I have Cablevision scheduled to come to my home this Sat. to install cable TV with a HD DVR and a stand receiver also with DVR . Now I had them back in 04' and switched to DirecTv because of frozen screens and constant reboots and the fact that D.TV picture was 100% digital. DirecTv, on the other, hand suffers greatly from weather conditions (rain) and it effects getting any picture when the rain really comes down.

I re-joined CV due to the Triple Play package and the fact that they have more HD content currently than DirecTv. My question however focuses on the Analog channels that remain on CV lineup. I know that they are already rolling out to move their system to be 100% digital however is the current picture of analog channels and even SD channels for that matter crummy on a HDTV? I mean they don't issue contracts so if I determine that the picture is not acceptable I'll just cancel them but I am curious. Thanks.

Just to let you know if your DirecTV was going out alot during rain then you should see how well the dish is pointed because that's not supposed to happen. And also, I don't know if this happens to anyone else but my HBO and Cinemax channels come in horribly with the picture constantly freezing but everything else is great. As far as I have seen, the analog channels don't come in very well on an HDTV but thats not because of Cablevision's fault, they just don't look well on any HDTV. I'm sorry if this seems like I'm trying to sway you away from Cablevision because I'm not trying to. Good Luck!

I just switched back to CV 3 months ago for more HD also.

I really dont ever watch any of the Analog stations, not many left except the locals, I watch all the HD locals in the 700's (except the yankees on ch 9)

While the Analog channels from CV on my HD tv dont look great,
I can honestly say they dont look any worse than any of the Directv SD channels.

In the last couple of years Directv has compressed the heck out of the SD channels (to fit more channels) that they were starting to look really bad :(

I am overall much happer with CV, and you will too

Have to go now Im watching the Yankees kick bostons A-- on Yes-HD!!
:)

kevlard1 said:
Just to let you know if your DirecTV was going out alot during rain then you should see how well the dish is pointed because that's not supposed to happen. And also, I don't know if this happens to anyone else but my HBO and Cinemax channels come in horribly with the picture constantly freezing but everything else is great. As far as I have seen, the analog channels don't come in very well on an HDTV but thats not because of Cablevision's fault, they just don't look well on any HDTV. I'm sorry if this seems like I'm trying to sway you away from Cablevision because I'm not trying to. Good Luck!

Well I see the that DirecTv tech's just don't know how to properly install dishes because after all my searching for that particular problem it seems to happen quite often with them and is a popular gripe with consumers. As for those movie channels you mention all I can say is for you to try calling CV; it really wouldn't affect me since I ordered the family package with IO since I have tons of DVD's. As long as the picture of the analog channels are on par with those of DirecTv I'll be happy.

DVRaholic said:
I just switched back to CV 3 months ago for more HD also.

I really dont ever watch any of the Analog stations, not many left except the locals, I watch all the HD locals in the 700's (except the yankees on ch 9)

While the Analog channels from CV on my HD tv dont look great,
I can honestly say they dont look any worse than any of the Directv SD channels.

In the last couple of years Directv has compressed the heck out of the SD channels (to fit more channels) that they were starting to look really bad :(

I am overall much happer with CV, and you will too

Have to go now Im watching the Yankees kick bostons A-- on Yes-HD!!
:)

So you're saying that there aren't too many analog stations left in the first place? The locals being analog still I wouldn't care about since they offer their HD counterparts. Thanks for clarifying the analog channel picture quality compared to the D*TV; I really wanted to know how they both stacked up to one another PQ wise.

Even though we lost last night; GO YANKS!

Within the next couple of months all family cable channels will be simulcasted in digital if you have a digital box. If you don't have a box they will still come through in analog.

RemyM said:
Within the next couple of months all family cable channels will be simulcasted in digital if you have a digital box. If you don't have a box they will still come through in analog.

That's good to hear/read :)

Happy

CV has a happy new customer!

Installation was swift and I am very pleased with the service so far. My only gripe is that I am missing the channel guide that I once had with DirecTv since that one was way more informational then the one that CV offers. The DVR service is also a few steps behind DirecTv's as well but it still contains the major things like being able to record every show of a specific program, the 6 seconds go-back button, etc.

HD quality is better on Cablevision; even so that my fiancee noticed and she doesn't notice normally does types of things. All in all I am very impressed.

Sean Mota said:
good... I thought the same thing when I had Cablevision installed. They have come a long way from when I first left them.

I second that!! I left cable in my area when it was TKR, now Cablevision. Boy have they come a long way!! I'm glad I switched back!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts