New Joeys are made in India--not China

JazzFan, I am not saying you should go out and buy a Joey. Sounds like leasing works for you. In my case, turning in a couple of leased Joeys will save me $14 a month--an amount that quickly offsets my purchase prices of $72 each. And I will be able to turn them back on when/if company comes to visit.

Since Dish now just calls these new units "JOEY" without a version number, I am certain their inventory/order system will not differentiate between old/new/refurb units. In fact, one of my lease units going back to Dish was a China-made refurb and the sticker on it said the model was "JOEY" without the original "1.0" designation at the end.

I have been with Dish for over 15 years. Wife and I love our Dish equipment and service and plan on keeping it as long as it is available. Through the years it has gotten harder and harder to convince Dish to authorize me to continue to do my own upgrades. We have never had a tech out to the house for installs, upgrades, or repairs. I insist on doing it all on my own. All dishes, switches, LNBs, nodes, and cabling have been purchased on my own. Satelliteguys.us has been my go-to reference for learning the fine details of the systems. I originally bought all receivers also, but the upgrade costs got too high. So when I upgraded to Hoppers and Joeys when they first became available, I leased the receivers. I still managed to do so without a tech visit--damn near impossible!

Today I have a non-standard configuration that includes a 30" wing dish (for 129 sat), a separate Dish 500 with individual LNBs (for 110 and 119 sats), and a DPP33 switch feeding my DouNode. For our six HDTVs, we have two Hoppers (one with Sling) and four Joeys. With the Hopper prices coming down to less than $200 each now, I plan to replace my present Hoppers with two owned HWS units before my contract expires in 2015. This should ensure that I should no longer have to fight with Dish over doing my own installs. One thing that has been very helpful is that Dish has flagged my account such that whenever I now call for technical support I am automatically routed to Advanced Tech Support. This saves a lot of time and avoids frustration when asking technical questions.

Your mileage may vary...

Activated the new Joeys this afternoon. Have no had slowness issues with old Joeys, so cannot tell if new ones are faster. My old eyes and ears think the picture and sound are improved. Who knows; it could just be wishful thinking.

My Joeys are noticeably and sometimes annoyingly slow. Perhaps you don't have as many recordings as we do? I notice the time it takes our Joeys to populate the My Recordings noticeably slower than on our Hoppers. Also, the guide display/population is also noticeably slower than at our Hoppers. Others have reported DAY and NIGHT difference with the HWS compared to Hopper 1.0, and I think it was the same at CES when the new Joeys were on display. Let us know.

Wow, thank you for that great response, rdinkel. I'm humbled by your expertise! I'm surprised that the Joey 2.0's 800-900(?) MHz chip isn't equating to obviously faster performance than the Joey 1.0's 400 MHz one right out of the gate (even though you report no speed issues with your first-gen Joeys--the first-gen Hopper wasn't "slow" to me until I used a HWS)--it's logical, I guess, that it's awaiting software optimization, and I'll tell ya, when I hear that that has happened, since it's the only way that I'll be guaranteed a Joey 2.0, I'll be owning my first DISH equipment! Thanks again.

My Joeys are noticeably and sometimes annoyingly slow. Perhaps you don't have as many recordings as we do? I notice the time it takes our Joeys to populate the My Recordings noticeably slower than on our Hoppers. Also, the guide display/population is also noticeably slower than at our Hoppers. Others have reported DAY and NIGHT difference with the HWS compared to Hopper 1.0, and I think it was the same at CES when the new Joeys were on display. Let us know.

My experience with my Joeys is the same as yours...painfully slow in comparison to the HWS. That's why I was excited about HWS-like speed in a new Joey. In my experience, from its day of availability, the HWS has been substantially faster, in use and not just on paper, than the first-gen Hopper...so it's interesting that the Joey 2.0 isn't immediately much faster than its predecessor.

Last edited:
Model number appears to be R5EXCY16124L And the Main Board number ends in "L" also.

What is the FCC ID on your new units?

My Joey 1.0 (XiP110) FCC ID is DKNYT1300

Just noticed my Joey is also made in India.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I am curious if there is a financial benefit to buying joeys?
I have 2h2j, all used everyday, my equipment is leased.
What charges, if any, would drop off my bill if I replace leased joeys with purchased joeys?
Isn't the charge for having the joey 'active', regardless of leased/owned?

Edit...
I just read on Amazon that people who use purchased joeys are still charged the $7 monthly fee.
So, options are...
Lease 400mhz, $7 per month, with free fix/replace if breakdown...
Or
Own 800mhz, $72 up front + $7 per month, buy another ($72) if breakdown...

After consideration, I'll stay with the leased joeys.
Eventually, they will be replaced thru attrition...

Last edited:
The only real benefits to owning are the ability to deactivate whenever you want, or if you want to avoid a commitment. Dish will replace owned receivers in the same manner that they replace leased ones.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Interesting thread... I want one of the faster Joeys.

Here is the info on my Joey. I just ran it thru several checks, changed channels, worked the guide, etc. and I think it is just as fast as my Hoppers. Have you tried connecting a coax from your Joey to your system and see if yours runs any faster? I know it shouldn't be necessary but you never know, might help your Joey run faster. Is your Joey in Wireless mode? If so, maybe that has something to do with your Joey working a little slower. I have my Joey connected by Cat5 to the router and in Ethernet mode. Coax goes to one of my DuoNodes. All Hoppers are also Cat5 straight to my router. No HIC and no bridging.

Joey Pic-1.jpg

Here is the info on my Joey. I just ran it thru several checks, changed channels, worked the guide, etc. and I think it is just as fast as my Hoppers. Have you tried connecting a coax from your Joey to your system and see if yours runs any faster? I know it shouldn't be necessary but you never know, might help your Joey run faster. Is your Joey in Wireless mode? If so, maybe that has something to do with your Joey working a little slower. I have my Joey connected by Cat5 to the router and in Ethernet mode. Coax goes to one of my DuoNodes. All Hoppers are also Cat5 straight to my router. No HIC and no bridging.

My present setup has worked very well with Joeys quite fast. I have RG6 throughout the house. I got rid of my HIC and now have the Hopper with Sling bridging to the rest of architecture. What really made a difference was when I configured my Cisco router to reserve specific IPs for each Hopper and Joey. I think the slowness some are reporting has to do with network delays--even though MOCA may show as good.

I just can't see how my Gigabit network would slow down my Joey. I'll try MoCA sometime. Some say their Joey is fine, others say painfully slow. I dunno. I definitely want the new Joey either way. I'm placing my bet on the new faster Joey hardware making a big difference.

So I guess they haven't released it yet. Probably will be around the same time as the Super Joey or the Wireless Joey.

My present setup has worked very well with Joeys quite fast. I have RG6 throughout the house. I got rid of my HIC and now have the Hopper with Sling bridging to the rest of architecture. What really made a difference was when I configured my Cisco router to reserve specific IPs for each Hopper and Joey. I think the slowness some are reporting has to do with network delays--even though MOCA may show as good.

I have all my Hoppers, Joey, printers, external Slingbox 500, and XboxOne IPs in my Cisco router's DHCP Reservation. I think it saves lotsa headaches by keeping the same IP.

In the recent Retailer Chat thread, Scott posted these timeframes:

Super Joey - Late February, Early March.
Wireless Joey will be coming out in May around Team Summit
Virtual Joey also coming out in May around Team Summit.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/328642-Retailer-Chat-Recap-1-14-2014?p=3352443#post3352443

I saw that on the retailer chat in my showroom.

No mention was made when the new regular Joey will appear but like I said, I 'heard' they aren't in the system yet.

Just my 2 cents worth, from someone who works in a call center (who is not a CSR)

If there is a new Joey out there, with some minor chip/processor upgrades, it does not appear to show as a different model type in our system. All we see for Joeys is Joey 1.0. So if someone can work through a retailer, who can hand-pick out a new Joey from his stock, I'd recommend that, if you really want this upgraded original Joey.

If you call in, and tell the CSR you want the new upgraded Joey (not virtual Joey, not Super Joey, not wireless Joey), that CSR has no option to do anything with that. All they will see available is Joey 1.0. This is the case for several receiver lines, where there clearly IS a different model. I mentioned this before (and several long term regulars felt I had no idea what I was talking about), but a Dish CSR can pick a receiver from the family, and cannot specify the exact model. For example:

211: A CSR picks that, in theory, the receiver can be a 211, 211K, 211Z, even a 411. CSR can't pick which one you get. If it's a new install, you'll likely get a 211Z, for a swap, likely a 211K or 211 (the old silver one). I have seen it specified to send a 411 to replace a 411 (yeah, there are some still out there)

Same goes for 222 (can get a silver 222 or the black 222K), and for 622 (there is no choice for 722), that can give you a 622, 722, or 722K.

So, summary, if you want to upgrade that Joey, if you want the same type of Joey, check with a seller/store, or wait until the Super/Virtual/Wireless Joeys come out.

Is this necessarily true, especially for a Plan A customer with the DISH Protection Plan? In the ten or so years that I've been with DISH, I've never paid anything for any of my DISH'n It Up receiver upgrades/swaps, save the tips that I gave the techs (yep, DISH has never even charged me the $15 technician visit fee). And as I understand it, even if you own the Joey, if you use it on a daily basis, as I would, you'd still have to pay $7 per month, isn't that right? For these reasons, I'd prefer to go through DISH if I could specifically order the second-gen Joey (I don't mind 24-month commitments; I plan to stick with DISH). Please let me know if any of my information is wrong--I'm just trying to get the best deal that I can. I'm a DISH and television fan more than I am a satellite technology and retail expert; you, and many here at SatelliteGuys, are definitely all of those things, so I defer to your superior knowledge. Thank you.

I feared this. It is absolutely the case that you can't specifically upgrade to a second-gen Joey from DISH? That'd be a bummer.

Wait to upgrade until like mid or late this year because honestly we have about 12 pallets of first gen joeys and keep getting them. By then we will have mostly second gen.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I feared this. It is absolutely the case that you can't specifically upgrade to a second-gen Joey from DISH? That'd be a bummer.

Since Dish now just calls these new units "JOEY" without a version number, I am certain their inventory/order system will not differentiate between old/new/refurb units. In fact, one of my lease units going back to Dish was a China-made refurb and the sticker on it said the model was "JOEY" without the original "1.0" designation at the end.
It's likely they will NOT differentiate them. Outside of NEW installations, they considered the ViP622, ViP722, and ViP722K equals, meaning they were completely interchangeable for replacement.

Dish will replace owned receivers in the same manner that they replace leased ones.
I recently replaced an owned ViP622 and DISH wanted something around $97 + shipping.

I don't think DISH would have asked for the extra vigorish if it had been a leased unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)