New KA/KU Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
hello guys, i am having some trouble with this setup. I have a HR20 with a phase 3 dish and a WNC SL3 LNB with the 4 hookups. I have only 1 IRD i have a 1 cable from the LNB to the BBC then BBC to the IRD. My signal strength on 101 is 95-98 and the 99,103 are 0 nothing i do gets a signal. I get all the SD channels but all HD channels say searching for signal 771. In the dish setup i used the Slimline 3 option. What can i maybe do to resolve this or try to? THANKS

You need to finetune the dish, ie peak it, also make sure your using a bbc with that receiver, you should also have two lines.

It must be noted that this dish is NOT recommended nor in any way approved or supported by DIRECTV.

It should also be noted that it is a decided compromise and probably not suitable for continuous use in or around areas where tornadoes and hurricanes are possible.

For an installer looking for easier installations to come, there isn't going to be a significantly smaller dish than the Slimline. Physics isn't going to back down.

thanks for the info, yes i understand the NOT recommended part i had it and wanted to get it a try. i have the BBC on the receiver, now the 2 lines i don't have 2 lines and what are exactly do you mean 2 lines? THANKS

thanks for the info, yes i understand the NOT recommended part i had it and wanted to get it a try. i have the BBC on the receiver, now the 2 lines i don't have 2 lines and what are exactly do you mean 2 lines? THANKS

Dvrs require two lines to work correctly, unless you are using a swm lnb.

thats what i thought, so a single unit H20-100 with the phase 3 dish and a WNC SL3 four connections LNB there should be 1 cable from LNB into the house to the BBC then into the receiver. Correct? I notice on the receiver when i turn to a HD channel the resolution jumps to the 720 or 1080 but i get the searching for signal 771 message. I called direct and they told me i needed a multiplexer switch box that had 6-8 cables on it. I asked about a software upgrade being the one on the receiver is dated jan.14 they told me that won't do anything. I tinkered with the dish some more and i got 101 at 98, but 99 and 103 is still 0 no matter what i try.

Straight from the dish with one cable should work fine, but like Harshness said, the Phase three dish isn't designed to work with the new lnbs. Is there some reason why you don't want to use a Slimline dish? You will likely get much better results with it.

my father is the account holder he has 6 receivers on his account and i have one of them at my house. I had to upgrade the receiver from a samsung 316 to the h20 after my HD channels just about all dropped off and moved to the 103 and 99. So i got the sl3 lnb to try this tailgate thing as i don't get that much bad weather here. I plan on putting the bigger dish later if i absolutely have to and can't get this to work. I was reading another thread on here about the numbers for alignment will be about 5 points higher doing this, then i read where they was 5 points lower. According to the slimline 3 setup it should be tilt 65, elv. 46, and az. 215. at this setting i have 98 on 101 and 0 on 99&103.

Wanted to add to this conversation. I did some things a little different from the instructions above and yet everything worked as well as I think I'll need it to.

Instead of drilling new holes and cutting a notch/ sawing a notch in the old 3 LNB arm, I simply

1) filed the notch on the Slimline 3 LNB off

xxx2.jpg

NB: The black mark is not a slot but a marking I made with a Sharpie to cut a slot before the filing idea came to me

and 2) mounted using the existing holes-not 100% flush to arm but mounted tight

xxx1.jpg

Tested it today-received all subscribed channels + HD locals, D* Test Channels 480-483 said Correct Setup, good 101 signal strength low 90s, 103 strength in upper 70s ~however~ 99 strength only 50. Signal was peaked with an elevation # about 5 degrees higher
with a Birdog. Used existing home Slimline 5 LNB configuration and then Slimline 3 LNB dish selection - didn't seem to make a difference!

Questions:
1) What do I need to adjust (tilt?) to get a higher reading for 99.

2) The answer to this question may render question #1 moot - All I really care about will be the Sunday Ticket & Superfan HD channels, what satellite will SF originate from this coming season? I know I can look at the guides in the sticky thread when the
season starts, a better questiion is were the ST SF channels on 99, 103 or both 99/103 last year

For a permanent install this rig may be lacking but for my purposes-tailgating setup & teardown-this is a snap...this hybrid screwed onto a Secure Mount (old-style dish mount bolted onto a tile puller using suction) is several orders of magnitude faster easier and potentially less damaging to life limb and property than a 5 LNB dish on a tripod toppling over.

Last edited:
Adjusting the tilt and elevation will get a balanced set of numbers for 99(c) and 103(c),14 transponders.

Normally I adjust the tilt to roughly get 99 & 103 in balance ,then go back to elevation adjustment to up the gain numbers 70-89 are normal.

Hey Matt, using avk2's photos can you tell me where to place the small self-tapping screws if the LNB is fully inserted? I don't want to be drilling on that unit where I shouldn't be. Thanks!

It's probably better to just drill the arm tube holes back a bit and use the normal screws and nuts for a flush mount on the SL3 LNB.

I'll be the first to admit that putting in the self tapping screws is a bit tricky,

----------------
[---SL3--LNB---]
-----------------
[--0--------0-- ]
[--s--------s-- ]

0= Factory hole for screw on bottom of arm.
s= Location of 1/4 inch self tapping screws on bottom of phase III dish arm away from LNB.

Last edited:
It's probably better to just drill the arm tube holes back a bit and use the normal screws and nuts for a flush mount on the SL3 LNB.

Problem is, at least on my setup, the distance from the location of the original holes to where it would be flush is less than the diameter of the hole. So I'd end up with the 2 holes overlapping a tiny bit, and for that reason it may not be a secure connection. Thanks for the diagram on the other solution.

If moving the LNB 1/8"+/- and flush mounting it will yield 1 to 2 points wonder what moving it 1/2" will do. This could be accomplished by trimming the end of the arm with a band saw - also may need to file down the sides of the 2 end male F-connectors on the LNB. Anybody know where the sweet spot is?

The redrilled holes may end up oval shape but the screws and nuts will allow you to clamp down tight on the LNB.

I have done many hours of testing (flush mount is the sweet spot), don't cut the arm as it will cause trouble.:)

FYI: After long term side by side testing of the Phase III dish with SL3 LNB and the Slimline5 dish, I found if properly aligned the phase III dish recovers from a rain fade event within seconds of the much larger Slimline5.

Last edited:
Just wanted to confirm I used my setup (post #33) outdoors at the Meadowlands last week and it worked to perfection, a steady, heavy rain thankfully tapered off to light rain /mist just before the 1 o clock games. After @10-15 minutes to tune/setup my group enjoyed Sunday Ticket/SF for hours through a steady light wind w/ a few occasionally strong gusts with no loss/degradation of signal whatsoever-thank you matt9876!

Due to software changes with DirecTV HD receivers if a slimline 5 LNB is used with the receiver set to slimline 3 an error code results,Here is updated information on how to make the small HD dish.

How to build your own small HD dish for DirecTV:

LNB heads that work well when mounted to a phase 3 dish (18" X 20"),this is for 99 (HD),101 (SD),103 (HD) operation.

Slimline 3 LNB (SWM/SWiM versions OK) with receiver set to slimline 3. "Best all around operation :)"

WNC AU9 5 LNB (white caps) with receiver set to slimline 5. "Good operation but 771 errors for SD locals on 119 satellite and possible guide data issues "

Eagle Aspen (clear covers) 5 LNB with receiver set to slimline 5. "Good operation harder to mount LNB head also 771 errors for SD locals on 119 satellite and possible guide data issues ""

Use slimline setup numbers to do course alignment of 101 signal, use 99(c/a/b) and 103(c/a/b) meter readings to fine tune and balance Ka band HD operation (The 14 transponders group for 99 and 103 is the key), signal numbers will range from the low 70s to the mid 90s for 99-101-103.

Adjust the tilt a little till 99 & 103 are balanced,Your going see low numbers on it initially probably in the 50s-60s then go back to the elevation adjustment and find the highest signal numbers for 103 & 99, signal numbers from the low 70s to the mid 80s are normal.

Use the normal screws/nuts in the pre drilled holes of the arm and LNB assembly, this alignment occurs when the LNB is inserted about half way.

The highest Ka signal numbers so far is when the LNB is fully inserted and flush in the arm tube,drilling new holes in the tube arm at the correct place and using the normal hardware to secure the LNB works well.

The key on the bottom of the LNB must pass to the inside of the dish arm tube,this can be done with a flat blade screw driver or metal nipper to make a notch for the key to fit into.

FYI: I don't recommend the use of the 18" round or any round dish,you will end up with missing transponders.

Disclaimer : This dish is experimental and not supported by DirecTV.

Having said that we have many successful setups working out in the real world
smile.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts