New KA/KU Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Matt, I made a Phase III conversion per your excellent instructions and it works quite well. Thank you for posting that.

"Due to software changes with DirecTV HD receivers if a slimline 5 LNB is used with the receiver set to slimline 3 an error code results,Here is updated information on how to make the small HD dish."

I have left our H20-600 set at a 3 LNB slimline ever since I made the Phase III conversion, but there has been no error of any sort. Maybe this software change does not apply to the H20-600?

Matt, I made a Phase III conversion per your excellent instructions and it works quite well. Thank you for posting that.

I have left our H20-600 set at a 3 LNB slimline ever since I made the Phase III conversion, but there has been no error of any sort. Maybe this software change does not apply to the H20-600?

In this case just leave it as is because it eliminates any 771 errors on local SD channels,The H24 and HR24 have the new software and I suspect it's just a matter of time before it spreads to all the HD receivers.

Parts list

Hey,

I wanted to see if I could help with the parts that I need to build this set-up and make sure it's going to do what I want. I don't know all the details about what stations come from what satellites so sorry for the dumb questions in advance.

I want to build this to have a HD TV set-up when I tailgate. I believe this is easier to use then a slime line.

I live in the Denver area. I'd like to be able to get the local stations and NLF Sunday ticket games in HD at my tailgate. If I could get Versus HD and the college sports channels that would be great too.

I have a hr10-250 or a H21/H23 receiver I can use. I believe all I need to build this is:
DIRECTV SL3 SlimLine Four Out Ka/Ku Slim Line LNB (SL3) - DIRECTV Slim Line - SL-3 -

18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish Antenna (OD1820-BX) - DIRECTV - KT1820BXLNB - 034405001386

Is that correct? Any suggestions are welcome for the easiest/best way to do this. How much am I going to have to worry about leveling the dish? Should I be looking at a special mount that will let me level it or will a little unlevelness be ok? I think I understand the process to acquire the signal but if someone could/would spell it out for a slow person, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hey,

I wanted to see if I could help with the parts that I need to build this set-up and make sure it's going to do what I want. I don't know all the details about what stations come from what satellites so sorry for the dumb questions in advance.

I want to build this to have a HD TV set-up when I tailgate. I believe this is easier to use then a slime line.

I live in the Denver area. I'd like to be able to get the local stations and NLF Sunday ticket games in HD at my tailgate. If I could get Versus HD and the college sports channels that would be great too.

I have a hr10-250 or a H21/H23 receiver I can use. I believe all I need to build this is:
DIRECTV SL3 SlimLine Four Out Ka/Ku Slim Line LNB (SL3) - DIRECTV Slim Line - SL-3 -

18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish Antenna (OD1820-BX) - DIRECTV - KT1820BXLNB - 034405001386

Is that correct? Any suggestions are welcome for the easiest/best way to do this. How much am I going to have to worry about leveling the dish? Should I be looking at a special mount that will let me level it or will a little unlevelness be ok? I think I understand the process to acquire the signal but if someone could/would spell it out for a slow person, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Well, you have to have the mast PLUMB or your numbers on your settings will not be accurate and you'll have a harder time setting it up.
I would get yourself a tripod with adjustable legs, they usually come with a compass that goes inside the mast pipe making it easy to set up.

This weekend we set up the Tripod and a SL3 and had TV in 12 minutes.

btw, personally, I would use the H21 or H23

Well, you have to have the mast PLUMB or your numbers on your settings will not be accurate and you'll have a harder time setting it up.
I would get yourself a tripod with adjustable legs, they usually come with a compass that goes inside the mast pipe making it easy to set up.

This weekend we set up the Tripod and a SL3 and had TV in 12 minutes.

btw, personally, I would use the H21 or H23

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at a tripod for the mount. Can you explain the "mast PLUMB or your numbers on your settings will not be accurate" statement? What is the mast PLUMB? Is that the direction and elevation?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at a tripod for the mount. Can you explain the "mast PLUMB or your numbers on your settings will not be accurate" statement? What is the mast PLUMB? Is that the direction and elevation?

IF you use a tripod, the main post that the dish will sit on is the part that needs to be plumb .... level , does that make sense to you, it's not the right term.
Place the compass inside the tripod and make the bubble inside the circle on the compass and you will be plumb.

Try to find a tripod with adjustable legs, you'll need to find one that supports a 2" pipe/post to connect the dish to.

"Due to software changes with DirecTV HD receivers if a slimline 5 LNB is used with the receiver set to slimline 3 an error code results,Here is updated information on how to make the small HD dish."

It's nothing to do with the software. The slimline 5 LNB delivers guide data from the 119 satellite if you are tuned to a channel on 103 (where most HD comes from). The slimline 3 delivers guide data from 101 regardless of which satellite you are tuned to. The two LNBs are electrically different. If you have an SL5 and tell the receiver it's an SL3, you will eventually get guide data errors if the receiver stays on 103 for a long time. The newer receivers and DVRs actually check for this and will give you a different error message indicating you have the wrong LNB type selected. The H20-600 does not have this new diagnostic software yet.

IF you use a tripod, the main post that the dish will sit on is the part that needs to be plumb .... level , does that make sense to you, it's not the right term.
Place the compass inside the tripod and make the bubble inside the circle on the compass and you will be plumb.

Try to find a tripod with adjustable legs, you'll need to find one that supports a 2" pipe/post to connect the dish to.

Thanks for the help. I thought only the slimeline used a 2" mast. Good to know the 18x20 does too.

Anyway have a suggestion of a good mast/tripod to get on solidsignal?

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I thought only the slimeline used a 2" mast. Good to know the 18x20 does too.

Anyway have a suggestion of a good mast/tripod to get on solidsignal?

Thanks

Ya know what, you may be right on the 18x20, it probably is 1 5/8th.
You can go to Solid Signal or anywhere else that sells them.
I got mine at the Camping World in Belleville, Mi..
There are other Camping Worlds scattered around the country.
Probably cheaper that way.

You have one where your at :

Colorado Springs, CO
6830 Bandley Drive
Fountain, CO 80817
RV Accessories
(888) 502-3870
RV Dealership
(188) 879-2527

I believe this is the one I have, make sure you get one with adjustable legs.
This one also comes with a carrying case and a compass as well.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/winegard-tripod-mount-carry-bag/26276

Last edited:
Ya know what, you may be right on the 18x20, it probably is 1 5/8th.
You can go to Solid Signal or anywhere else that sells them.
I got mine at the Camping World in Belleville, Mi..
There are other Camping Worlds scattered around the country.
Probably cheaper that way.

You have one where your at :

Colorado Springs, CO
6830 Bandley Drive
Fountain, CO 80817
RV Accessories
(888) 502-3870
RV Dealership
(188) 879-2527

I believe this is the one I have, make sure you get one with adjustable legs.
This one also comes with a carrying case and a compass as well.

Winegard Tripod Mount & Carry Bag - Item - Camping World

Yeah a 18x20 dish is an 1 5/8 mast....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)