New Ku-band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
cyberham

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yesterday I bought a new 1.2-metre Ku-band dish from my local Dr. Sat store near Toronto. This is about the only game in town to physically buy new FTA product nowadays. I've always wanted a 1.2-metre dish so now I have one! Initial attempts at finding signals yesterday resulted in no signals but I've learned FTA is not for the impatient.

My situation is that I must wheel the dish out from a garage, play, then roll it back into the garage at the end of the play period. I thought of this since I recall Iceberg used to do this. What happened to him?

So I may be asking for advice as I proceed.

Reactions: spongella
KE4EST

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
A new dish is always fun to play with! Aggravating that you live where you can't leave it permanent outside.

In short: Ice got mad at Scott and asked to be removed from SatelliteGuys.

RimaNTSS

RimaNTSS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 9, 2013
Riga
Yesterday I bought a new 1.2-metre Ku-band dish from my local Dr. Sat store near Toronto.
Without seeing some pictures I do not believe! ;) Just kidding. Congratulations! 1.2m is adequate size of dish to play with. Is that Az/El mount or PM?

cyberham

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
With a fresh day, I remembered to set skew in the correct direction! Had Galaxy 19 in 15 minutes. The first one in a new location is always the toughest. Now I remember about Ice.

It's an az-el mount, no rotator to follow KISS method.
12 metre Ku Dish

cyberham

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
Few more photos showing dish work trolley for working in the blazing sun, azimuth-elevation mount, and rainy day capability from inside the garage: can see from 95W and east along satellite arc.
Dish Work Station

Az El Mount

Rainy Day Operation

jorgek

jorgek

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 11, 2013
Near Toronto
Nice mobile installation. Are you going to try C band or is it just too small?

cyberham

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
I would certainly like to try C-band. I think to try I just need to replace the Ku LNB with a C-band feedhorn / LNB? That's outside my experience. Since I have a good view of the sky, I would think I should be able to receive a satellite or two on C.

phlatwound

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
Did you fab that dish cart?

There's mucho mini-BUD threads here for info on going for some C-band, you can definitely get a few transponders with a 1.2 meter.

cyberham

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
The equipment cart was procured by my colleague from one of these government clearance sales. I think he paid a few $ and got several. Having a spare computer monitor near the dish makes orientation easy. I will check out the C-band threads.

cyberham

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
From my ancient inventory list of C-band stuff, I see the following. I like to be organized. I wonder if anything from here could be used on my Ku dish to get me closer to getting C-band satellites.

Chaparral feedhorn: qty. 3
Tee-Com feedhorn: qty. 1
Chaparral polarizer: qty. 3
Star Trak polarizer: qty. 1
MA Electronics Canada Ga As FET LNB: qty. 1
Star Trak 41 deg 60 dB gain LNB (Japan): qty. 1
Star Trak 42 deg 60 dB gain LNB (Japan): qty. 1
Star Trak 47 deg 60 dB gain LNB (Japan): qty. 1

Chaparral co-rotor with polarizer: qty. 1
Norsat Ku LNB: 0.5dB NF, 58 dB gain, A freq, Made in Taiwan, 710-0307, 94/11/17
Norsat 5400 Series C Band LNB
Input: 3.7 - 4.2 GHz
Output: 950 - 1450 MHz
L.O.: 5.15 GHz
Gain: 65 dB
Temp: 17 K
Made in U.S.A. 01/18/96

M

MikeI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 25, 2004
Thx for the iceberg update. I was wondering too. He was around in the early days of the forum

F

freeisforme

SatelliteGuys Guru
Feb 21, 2017
south jersey
how does one determine a strong c band transponder that may or may not be receivable with a 1.2m dish?

B

Brct203

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 24, 2016
Connecticut
how does one determine a strong c band transponder that may or may not be receivable with a 1.2m dish?
From my limited experience, you might be able to get the Art Showcase and The Word on 91 W, the ESPN radio mux on 105 W.

spongella

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Nice mobile setup cyberham. Boy are you a lucky guy, having a real satellite store near you. Have fun with the new dish.

Cham

Cham

VE4GLS
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
All you need to do is automate it! Syncronize with your garage door opener with maybe a second garage door opener system to reel out your dish-caddy into a pre-set stop position so the mast is vertical, and add a mover, and you can run everything from the living room! :) When you are done hit the "retract" button and the cart pulls back into the garage and the door closes.
:)

Nice dish, I am sure you will be picking up some of the weaker signals with it just fine!

cyberham

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Nova Scotia
...Nice dish, I am sure you will be picking up some of the weaker signals with it just fine!
I have now experienced the Ku band 2017 and it is a little disappointing. 30W, 87W, 91W, 97W, 103W have transponders of interest. I'm ready for C band.

Reactions: Cham
KE4EST

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
I have now experienced the Ku band 2017 and it is a little disappointing. 30W, 87W, 91W, 97W, 103W have transponders of interest. I'm ready for C band.
Yeah, all the good stuff is on C-Band!

Reactions: MikeI
Status
Please reply by conversation.