New Ku-band Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
Yesterday I bought a new 1.2-metre Ku-band dish from my local Dr. Sat store near Toronto. This is about the only game in town to physically buy new FTA product nowadays. I've always wanted a 1.2-metre dish so now I have one! Initial attempts at finding signals yesterday resulted in no signals but I've learned FTA is not for the impatient.

My situation is that I must wheel the dish out from a garage, play, then roll it back into the garage at the end of the play period. I thought of this since I recall Iceberg used to do this. What happened to him?

So I may be asking for advice as I proceed.

Reactions: spongella
A new dish is always fun to play with! Aggravating that you live where you can't leave it permanent outside.

In short: Ice got mad at Scott and asked to be removed from SatelliteGuys.

Yesterday I bought a new 1.2-metre Ku-band dish from my local Dr. Sat store near Toronto.
Without seeing some pictures I do not believe! ;) Just kidding. Congratulations! 1.2m is adequate size of dish to play with. Is that Az/El mount or PM?

With a fresh day, I remembered to set skew in the correct direction! Had Galaxy 19 in 15 minutes. The first one in a new location is always the toughest. Now I remember about Ice.

It's an az-el mount, no rotator to follow KISS method.
1.2-metre Ku Dish.jpg

I would certainly like to try C-band. I think to try I just need to replace the Ku LNB with a C-band feedhorn / LNB? That's outside my experience. Since I have a good view of the sky, I would think I should be able to receive a satellite or two on C.

Did you fab that dish cart?

There's mucho mini-BUD threads here for info on going for some C-band, you can definitely get a few transponders with a 1.2 meter.

From my ancient inventory list of C-band stuff, I see the following. I like to be organized. I wonder if anything from here could be used on my Ku dish to get me closer to getting C-band satellites.

Chaparral feedhorn: qty. 3
Tee-Com feedhorn: qty. 1
Chaparral polarizer: qty. 3
Star Trak polarizer: qty. 1
MA Electronics Canada Ga As FET LNB: qty. 1
Star Trak 41 deg 60 dB gain LNB (Japan): qty. 1
Star Trak 42 deg 60 dB gain LNB (Japan): qty. 1
Star Trak 47 deg 60 dB gain LNB (Japan): qty. 1

Chaparral co-rotor with polarizer: qty. 1
Norsat Ku LNB: 0.5dB NF, 58 dB gain, A freq, Made in Taiwan, 710-0307, 94/11/17
Norsat 5400 Series C Band LNB
Input: 3.7 - 4.2 GHz
Output: 950 - 1450 MHz
L.O.: 5.15 GHz
Gain: 65 dB
Temp: 17 K
Made in U.S.A. 01/18/96

Thx for the iceberg update. I was wondering too. He was around in the early days of the forum

Nice mobile setup cyberham. Boy are you a lucky guy, having a real satellite store near you. Have fun with the new dish.

All you need to do is automate it! Syncronize with your garage door opener with maybe a second garage door opener system to reel out your dish-caddy into a pre-set stop position so the mast is vertical, and add a mover, and you can run everything from the living room! :) When you are done hit the "retract" button and the cart pulls back into the garage and the door closes.
:)

Nice dish, I am sure you will be picking up some of the weaker signals with it just fine!

I have now experienced the Ku band 2017 and it is a little disappointing. 30W, 87W, 91W, 97W, 103W have transponders of interest. I'm ready for C band.
Yeah, all the good stuff is on C-Band!

Reactions: MikeI
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)