New Landlord Says No Dishes

Shyala

Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Greetings all :)

I live in an apartment and my new Landlord said all dishes have to be removed because they are messing up the roof.I got permission from the original Landlord back in 2003 and my dish actually sits up on the side wall of the roof... not the actual floor of the rook where the leak problems are.There is no way I can nicely work this out with this Landlord as we don't get along.Basically I want to know can she legally remove my beloved dish?

:)

Welcome to the forum!

If you have a balcony or a patio in your exclusive use, then you might be able to insist on having the dish there. Roof is a different story, I am afraid.

Thank you all for your quick responses :)

Unfortunately, I no longer have a copy of the written consent from my orinal Landlord.

The fact taht it was up there before this new landlord came along is all the proof you need. He can seal around it but not move it, he can let you move it if you have LOS form somewhere on your rented premises. But he cant evict you or anything like that.

Actually I think because the roof isn't your exclusive use area you'll have to relocate the dish. The building belongs to someone else and they can set rules about dish installations anywhere but your rental space ie. deck, patio, balcony.

the people who had dishes before the new landlord would be grandfathered if new rules are set. that is my opinion if it went to court.

That's my opinion too, but does anyone know what the LAW is? If you went to court that would be the only thing that mattered, not your opinion. :)

Upon sale of the building, the new owner or landlord must agree to all terms of the leases still in effect. As soon as those expire they have the right to change the lease. Without permission to place the dish on the roof ammended into the lease; the new landlord can require you to remove the dishes from the roof and place them within a private use area.

As a installer, we have always curbed even the patio, balcony idea by having the tenant install a wooden board half the size of a window facing the LOS and we mount to that and drill our holes into the wood to run our wires (or use flat cable). This elimanates the need for buckets, Non Pen Roof Mounts, Tripods etc. Of course this is all gonna be specific to your area.

Hope I helped.

-Dave

I cant post links here because I am so new, but here is what you do. Go to the dishnetwork website and in the search bar type "landlord" and choose the first link.

Follow this link and it will give you a breif overview of the LAW with some links, and will also give you LLP form as well a a picture of where you do and dont need to have LLP for the DISH.

Even if the previous apartment building owner gave permission, that permission is not permanant. This permission can be revolked at any time!

The FCC's Fact Sheet states:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html#QA

Q: I live in a condominium with a balcony, but I cannot receive a signalfrom the satellite because my balcony faces north.Can I use the roof?

A: No. The roof of a condominium is generally a common area, not an areareserved for an individual's exclusive use. If the roof is a common area, youmay not use it unless the condominium association gives you permission. Thecondominium is not obligated toprovide a place for you to install an antenna if you do not have an exclusiveuse area.

Note it doesn't say, "unless the previous owner said it was okay".

I am also petty sure there is a ruling on this issue somewhere on the site.

See ya
Tony

i had a similar situation where the landlord changed his mind after i already had it installed for about 9 months... it was on the facia board, on the back corner of the building where no one would ever see it.
i then moved it to the biggest, ugliest looking mount that i made that was counterweighted off of a balcony over the edge of the roof, (within the legal height limit of course)
he complained a few times, but after i showed him the laws on it, he never said a thing again... needless to say he was happy when i moved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)