New LNB coming for Eastern Arc?

Makes sense to me. No use wasting money on an extra lnb. 77W never will have Conus coverage because of the Canadian frequency interference problem. With E16, one can expect lots of the 77 locals to move to 61.5 and Direct moves off 72.5w on Dec 31, opening up more Conus coverage from that slot. And, International moving to 118.7 opens up more space on 61.5W

Last edited:
Makes sense to me. No use wasting money on an extra lnb. 77W never will have Conus coverage because of the Canadian frequency interference problem. With E16, one can expect lots of the 77 locals to move to 61.5 and Direct moves off 72.5w on Dec 31, opening up more Conus coverage from that slot. And, International moving to 118.7 opens up more space on 61.5W

Does Dish automatically get those freqs, and how many? How many additional CONUS HD channels will realistically be made available?

It probably means that Dish has figured out that 48 (16 at 61.5 and 32 at 72.5) Conus transponders will provide all the channels required for Conus service. 50 Conus presently on western arc plus the 1 they lease to AAD.

I guess one can conclude that the market has matured.

Does Dish automatically get those freqs, and how many? How many additional CONUS HD channels will realistically be made available?

They assumed the full lease for all 32 Nimiq 5 at 72.5W a couple years ago and continued to sublease transponders to Directv during the Directv transition to the new Directv satellites. The Dish 3rd quarter 10Q said Directv will be ending the lease on the last 3 transponders they are using, effective Jan 1.

It's supposed to be a 1000.2 DPP twin for EA. So techs performing new installs that aren't in markets that are on 77, will be installing the new 1000.2 and twin LNB. So in these new areas, when a tech rolls up on a service or trouble call, and needs to service the existing dish and LNB, they need to carry more variety of equipment in order to service new and existing installations, makes sense to me. I wonder if this will be another 1000.4 for WA deal. Besides some local markets and Spanish programming, what is 77 supposed to be used for anyway? Why doesn't Dish mirror the internationals on 77 so everyone can have a one dish solution and EA customers who have intl's don't need a wing dish at 118.7?

If you read the 1st post, it's suppose to work for the 1000.2. I suppose it could work for the 500, but the signal levels would be lower.

I read the first post, in which you said that you heard a rumor about this. I was simply asking Scott for confirmation and/or clarification as he usually has the straight story.

.......Why doesn't Dish mirror the internationals on 77 so everyone can have a one dish solution and EA customers who have intl's don't need a wing dish at 118.7?

Because 77 can't provide full CONUS coverage. Something about interference with Canadian transmissions. Maybe Dish will move/add more locals to 77.

I see you missed the part about channels they PAY for.

I didnt miss anything. I just posted three channels that Dish subs get as part of pretty much any package (including Welcome Pack)...also known as PAY for the channels...that if they have a Dish 500 set up they dont get :)

I didnt miss anything. I just posted three channels that Dish subs get as part of pretty much any package (including Welcome Pack)...also known as PAY for the channels...that if they have a Dish 500 set up they dont get :)
The channels are PI and not part of any package. They simply require an active receiver.

Before you get all huffy about not being able to have an active receiver without a programming package, consider the DNS and locals-only offers.

The channels are PI and not part of any package. They simply require an active receiver.
actually they are part of all packages. They are no longer in the clear like they use to be before the purple card changeover. Use to be you could get a few channels on an unsubbed receiver. That is no longer the option other than 101

and its funny how you like to spin this. With Dish its PI but with Directv its not???
Both Dish and Directv have PI channels on a "wing" dish (if you want to call it that) that not every customer has yet nothing has been done about it. Like I say if those 2 channels on 119 for Directv are that important D* will upgrade it for free

Before you get all huffy about not being able to have an active receiver without a programming package, consider the DNS and locals-only offers.
huffy huh? I guess I touched a nerve :rolleyes:
Oh there is no such thing as locals only. Its called the Welcome Pack. AAD station would be considered DNS

anywho back to the subject at hand

That will be nice for folks who need EA but maybe have a LOS issue at 77W that it wont be needed
Or those installers who would rather look at only 2 sats and not 3 ;) Easier installs

Why doesn't Dish mirror the internationals on 77 so everyone can have a one dish solution and EA customers who have intl's don't need a wing dish at 118.7?
A brilliant idea - especially for al the folks that want international channels but have no visibiity of the crappy FSS satellite signal levels at 118 (as in extreme Northeast US)

I don't see the reason that DISH has so many configurations for their satellite installations. At first I had read that they were going to ONE satellite dish for all configurations: the 1000.4 sat dish with lnbs for either arc. Simplification at it's best. Then I read they weren't going to one dish due to whatever reason and now we have gone back to multiple lnbs for just about any configuration that you can come up with. Why can't DISH follow the KISS method: Keep it Simple Stupid?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts