New member who sees problems

rexoverbey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
I just had voom installed yesterday. I have had other satellite services and cable and have had a lot more options. Here are the main problems I see with voom so far.

1. Not enough SD channels. Where are USA, TechTV, HGTV, and etc?
2. Interface on the Voom is horrible. Can't go to start channel guide on channel you are on. Channel takes atleast 5 seconds to switch. Multiple bugs after months of being up and everyone uses the same brand of receiver. Also why are there so many bugs when everyone at this forum lists them!
3. No pay per view movies! Again no pay per view movies! Every other provider has this.
4. To much for initial price service. DirecTV and Dish both start service $29 ,and Dish Network offers a free a HD receiver and two additional receivers for free.
5. Can't change OTA manually.
6. Lots of pixelation and artifacts in HD signal. If I am paying for a better picture I wan't it!
7. Only available to purchase receiver at Sears! Who's bright idea was this one anyways? They could have just sold them at Wal-mart if they only wanted one store. Also why can't you install your own equipment instead of letting some guy who just wants to install and get the hell out of there.

Not to say voom doesn't have a few upsides but the downsides really out way them. I hope Voom really considers fixing most of these and not try to get off cheap. If you want to compete with the big dogs you have to be a bigger dog.

rexoverbey,

Welcome. As much as I agree with you in these points, I have to disagree in some.

1- SD channels will eventually be added but it take negotiations and bandwith to make it to VOOM.

2-I think you are right. The interface needs to get better but only in functionality. As you already have discovered not every function is working as we expect them to work. Don't know which version of software you have but the latest software makes the switch of channels in the same amount of time as my E* 6000u or 721 receiver. VOOM is working on the bugs and they have listened to a whole lot and they have come a long way from day 1. Still a lot more room for improvement. Now, I can tell you that given the history of E* receivers and D* receivers software problems and how management respond to their buggy software, VOOM management has responded in less time. Take a look at the E* forum here for the 721, 522, 811, 721 and take a look at AVSforum for the D* receivers.

3-there will be HD PPV channels added. V* has only been around for 5 months and they are getting there.

4-Here I strongly disagree with you. D*/E* may start you at $29/mth but you need to pay an additional $10/mth to get ESPN-HD, HDnet, HDnet Movies, DHDT. If you qualify for CBS-HD, you need to add an additional $5/mth. With VOOM $39/mth and you 21 HD channels right of the back. The equipment cost $0 if you decide to lease.

5-I do not undernstand about OTA manually. Do you mean the scanning OTA function?

6- Get more specific. Not every HD channel is like you describe. There are channel that having problem and V* knows this. They are upgrading to a new encoder/decoder. I will give them a pass on this until that is put in place. I really hope soon because like you I am getting tired of waiting as other are. There has been problems specifically with Starz-HD, Show-HD and some others. Back in November there were no problems and these problems have been recent.

7-The Sears exclusive sell was a mistake and I think even VOOM knows this. They have already contracted with Tweeter and I hear that there will be independent retailers as well.

All and all I think that there are problems like in every system. I bought two 6000u receivers from E* because they promised me that this will be all I needed to get HD. Three months later, E* decided to dump the development of the 6000u (not OPENTV and bugs were never fixed). I am stuck with two of these units. This is just a sample that every company has its own problem. I hope that VOOM being the new guy on the block can resolve the issues because at least they are listening. I am giving them a year to get their act together.

1. Voom is a new company. Be patient and these will come.
2. Software fixes come out all the time. Call Voom and have them hit your box so it'll update. I think the upgrade fixes most of the problems you have.
3. It'll save you money! I recommend Netflix for movies, since there is no PPV. I do wish I could get sports packages like ESPN Full Court or MLB Extra Innings, but I don't NEED them to be happy.
4. The initial price of Voom service is $0!! No "activation fees" etc. The dish HD receiver requires $10/month for the HD service pack, and you pay $5 per receiver per month. They are NOT free.
5. Does you mean you can't scan for channels? I think there is a software fix for this coming soon. Don't know for sure though.
6. see #2, or your dish/antenna isn't aligned correctly.
7. Voom can be purchsed online, or over the phone.

1. the d* hd pack is 11 dollars a month not 10. actually 10.99.
2. the free install deal is only available over the phone.
3. Why would anyone want to buy a reciever from a company that could fail? that doesnt make any sense. you think it will save buying it? not after you pay for some kind of protection plan every month..lmao
4. yes OTA channel scanning is coming.
5. one one thousand one, one one thousand... my channel has changed, 1.5 seconds.
6. voom is 5 months old, new channels are comming.

why is everonbe making excuses for VOOM?

By now they should have gotten their act together.... this is a competing service. Like the orginal posted asks...

WHY are there so many problems if EVERYONE lists them?

No harsh tone intended.... but Im not gonna walk on eggshells around here for the fear that voom lovers will be mad at me.

And this no PG stuff is just ridiculous.... outrageous even.

YEA, im complaining... but as long as I do that and not make excuses for VOOM... they will feel the sense of urgency for the improvements to be made.

Thanks for your time.

tattootearz said:
why is everonbe making excuses for VOOM?

By now they should have gotten their act together.... this is a competing service. Like the orginal posted asks...

WHY are there so many problems if EVERYONE lists them?

No harsh tone intended.... but Im not gonna walk on eggshells around here for the fear that voom lovers will be mad at me.

And this no PG stuff is just ridiculous.... outrageous even.

YEA, im complaining... but as long as I do that and not make excuses for VOOM... they will feel the sense of urgency for the improvements to be made.

Thanks for your time.

I do not think anybody is making excuses for VOOM here. The problems have been well documented and VOOM knows about them (just go to the Yahoo Board and you will see). Also, Wilt knows about the technical problems as well. If V* is working on the problems, what else can we as VOOM subscribers can do. It is not like V* is in denial. They are trying. Maybe is not soon enough... but they are trying.

I don't want to come off negative but some of these issues are just ridiculous. I just got my dish installed yesterday and had no program guide till today. On top of that the channel switching is crazy. Sometimes when I switch it says that the signal is not available or that I am not subscribed to that channel. I wait about 6-10 seconds and then the channel comes on. I never had anything like this happen with D*. I just had to vent a little you know paying $50-80 a month is a lot of money for me. I would really like to see some of the people who do the firmware upgrades come in here and speek with the people at this forum. If anyone could set this up it would be great.

Sean Mota said:
rexoverbey,

Welcome. As much as I agree with you in these points, I have to disagree in some.

1- SD channels will eventually be added but it take negotiations and bandwith to make it to VOOM.

This is another excuse. The poster complained about the lack of SD channels. You merely made the vapor programming promise that more is in the wings. What and when? Who knows, but hey, just keep holding your breath, eh?

Still a lot more room for improvement. Now, I can tell you that given the history of E* receivers and D* receivers software problems and how management respond to their buggy software, VOOM management has responded in less time.

I don't see how VOOm has improved anything. They did nothing to get me my locals ("It is a software problem"). Since that latest software "upgrade", I have gotten a lower quality picture. Yeehaw!

3-there will be HD PPV channels added. V* has only been around for 5 months and they are getting there.

Direct had ppv from day one. The promise of HD ppv is just that, a promise. When? Maybe when hey add more SD channels. Are you still holding your breath?

4-Here I strongly disagree with you. D*/E* may start you at $29/mth but you need to pay an additional $10/mth to get ESPN-HD, HDnet, HDnet Movies, DHDT.

Can you pay $10 to VOOM to recieve ESPN-HD, HDnet, HDnet Movies, DHDT? Now, D/E is starting to look real good!

If you qualify for CBS-HD, you need to add an additional $5/mth.

If you have D/E, you use ota to get OTA CBS HD if available. WIth Voom, you don't even have the option of paying to get CBSHD if you live in the sticks. And, in my case, I can't get CBS (or other locals) because of the crappy ota Voom problem.

With VOOM $39/mth and you 21 HD channels right of the back.
Most of these repetiitive channels are better suited as demo material in a Best Buy, not as programing for the home.

The equipment cost $0 if you decide to lease.

Huh? That is impossible. Lease means to rent. When you lease the VOOM box, you pay $10 a month. I doubt the VOOM fairy will pay it for you.

Is it all softwear problems ? If so why didnt Voom let others have a go at it for them Like Samsung,Hughes, Sony, at least let some other companys try to make STB's form them and yes I would like a Guide button this should have been there no matter what , keep the voom button but come on , is all Motorola box's softwear like this one is? (Sometimes when I switch it says that the signal is not available or that I am not subscribed to that channel) This really bothers me I have to switch the channel and then go back to that one to get it to come on , no waiting for it to come up it just wont unless I change and then go back. These problem should not be there . Like I told a CSR the other day its 2004 the technology is there I have had D for a while now 7years and they have Bugs but nothing like this that I have see , people will put up with a few problems but they would like not to have all these problems, I can live for now with not enough content but I would be a little bit happer if I had a Guide button and my channels would not tell me I need to call and 1800 voom to upgrade to this channel when I am suppose to get it . I have been with them for 2 weeks now and I am not just going to say the hell with it I am & will stick with them for awhile but I cant keep giving them money unless they get these fix sooner than later . I could be wrong about all of this buts Its how I feel.

I think Voom had to make a decision.

Get it out into the market now and generate a buzz, positive or not.
OR
Let's keep working on all these issues until it's all fixed and relase it in 2006.

Plus every subscriber that they have complaining about these issues is free trouble shooting. Actually we are paying them to troubleshoot their problems.

On the plus side, at least they listen and take action, and no I am not talikng about the CSR's. Those folks get paid to answer the phone and get you off the phone as quickly as possible. Voom should consider a new phone number 1-800-FIX-VOOM and staff it with compotent technical types.

Just my opinion. Bugs or no bugs I still love not having to wait until "Primetime" to watch HD.

I don't want to come off negative but some of these issues are just ridiculous. I just got my dish installed yesterday and had no program guide till today. On top of that the channel switching is crazy. Sometimes when I switch it says that the signal is not available or that I am not subscribed to that channel. I wait about 6-10 seconds and then the channel comes on. I never had anything like this happen with D*. I just had to vent a little you know paying $50-80 a month is a lot of money for me. I would really like to see some of the people who do the firmware upgrades come in here and speek with the people at this forum. If anyone could set this up it would be great.

Have you received the new software yet? Press Voom button -> Info. If that doesn't work, press Voom button -> Green button -> System Settings -> System Status, and press the arrow down button until you see the software version. The current/latest software that addresses many of the problems in your first post is 5.68.

2. Interface on the Voom is horrible. Can't go to start channel guide on channel you are on. Channel takes atleast 5 seconds to switch. Multiple bugs after months of being up and everyone uses the same brand of receiver. Also why are there so many bugs when everyone at this forum lists them!
For the interface, setup your favorites so you can bring up the guide with a single button press (Favorites button) on the remote. Like many here, I use a universal remote, and I have the Favorites programming to my Guide button, and the Voom button mated to the Menu button.

4. To much for initial price service. DirecTV and Dish both start service $29 ,and Dish Network offers a free a HD receiver and two additional receivers for free.
The cheapest DirecTV package on their web site is $36.99, or $39.99 with SD locals. They are currently offering a $29.99 promotion for six months if you commit to a year of programming. This includes zero HD channels. The HD package with Discovery Theater, ESPN-HD, and the Hdnets costs an extra $10.99.

If you want all the premium movie channels, DirecTV is ~$10 more expensive than VOOM, and they don't offer StarzHD, Cinemax, Encore, or TMC in HD, let alone west feeds of their HD channels.

1) Anyone with an ounce of intelligence would have been aware of the channel lineup and made the decision to subscribe to V* based on what was offered. If you didn't like the channel lineup, then you shouldn't have subscribed...or waited till they offered what you wanted.

2) The PG basically sucks. I agree a channel guide button should have been a given. Access to the channels now is nothing short of a PITA.

3) PPV will happen hopefully. Personally, if it isn't going to be HD PPV I don't want it.

4) It's a HD service. It's catering to a niche' market. $80 for the premium HD channel lineup compared to D* or E* is a virtual bargain.

5) Mapping OTA was a big mistake vs a scanning feature. HUGE mistake. V* needs to get the OTA scanning feature implemented ASAP.

6) I see no pixelation in any of the HD stations. Artifacts yes.

7) Their distribution method was a failure with Sears as an 'exclusive'. I think even V* is aware of that. I believe they tried to find a national chain for distribution that wasn't tied into an exclusive contract with the likes of D* or E* and found that the choices were pretty limited. Still, Sears was a poor choice.

rexoverbey said:

You probably didn't have D* 6 months after it started. Our D* box crashed all the time and didn't have half the functionality as the Voom box does now.

rexoverbey said:
1. Not enough SD channels. Where are USA, TechTV, HGTV, and etc?
USA Network? Do you mean the "Commercial Channel"? Most networks edit out twenty minutes of a two hour feature film and insert commercials. USA just adds another hour of commercials to make a three hour movie! It takes so long to watch a USA movie that an old geezer like me can forget how it started! By the end of the movie I don't even recognize the stars anymore. Good riddance to that one.

Digidude

That's why its good to use a digital recorder. Zip through all the commercials. I'm sure the sponsors really love people like me doing this. lol

People keep comparing bugs in Voom to DirecTV when it first started. DirecTv started a decade ago in 1994. A time when the internet wasn't even in everyone's home, there was no digital cable, and no HDTV. Technology has advanced a lot (and cheaper to produce) since and so has programming practices/languages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)