New Moteck 1.8M motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you want a really heavy duty H-H motor, take a look at the SuperMount from Europe. Its somewhat more expensive than the one being discussed here, but is designed to handle heavy (fiberglass) dishes such as the Channel Master range.

For lighter dishes, this new addition from Sadoun looks very interesting -- especially at the price.

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/motors.htm

cool project gets more interesting

Would this motor work with the larger Primestar dishes as another option without having to modify the original mount because of it's weight issue..
I can see it now.
Mr. S offers two kits (or plans):
1) adapter for the 1m Primestar
2) adapter for the 1.80m
Actually, it would be best to hash out the designs here on the forum, come up with the absolute best configuration, and then promote that one.

As for the Primestar, since the existing HH motors can swing it around with a clever mount redesign, the new motor should be quite able, even with all the extra pounds of the original hardware.

I can see it now.
Mr. S offers two kits (or plans):
1) adapter for the 1m Primestar
2) adapter for the 1.80m
Actually, it would be best to hash out the designs here on the forum, come up with the absolute best configuration, and then promote that one.

That's an idea...

Any of the Fortec 6 foot owners out there planning to upgrade to this? I am interested in maybe going this way since I already have the dish and would only have to spend about $225 (including V-box) plus whatever the mod costs. I am thinking the extra $75 would be worth it to make the setup more "user friendly" compared to using an analog box?

Will this motor work with the same mount that comes with the Fortec Star 180CM C-Band dish..
Looking at the pictures, it's not hard to do some modification to make it work with the "O ring" dish type.
The mount is probably good for dishes under 8ft in light weight. Pictures are a bit not clear for confirmation on the declination adjustment.
Hopefully Sadoun can ask Fortec or any other third party manufacture to make an optional mount for offset dish, this mount will hold 1.2 offset more steady than other Diseqc 1.2 mount.

One problem I can see as far as my own situation is my true south is AMC 5 which has no C Band. Closest for me at 79 would be AMC 6 I believe. Is this going to kill this for me?

Then use AMC6, just move the dish to East few degree before aiming the dish at AMC6. By tunning the dish, you will likely need to rotate the whole mount toward East/WEST (when you have problem with further East/West sat, one lower the other higher, both lower, or both higher...).
Hint:
Declination: less declination, dish move flatter....
When dish need to be lift up or pulled down to hit further East/WEST sats, that's the symptom of having incorrect truesouth, one need to rotate the WHOLE mount towards East or West to fix the problem.
Good luck

One problem I can see as far as my own situation is my true south is AMC 5 which has no C Band. Closest for me at 79 would be AMC 6 I believe. Is this going to kill this for me?

Couldn't you just temporarily swap in a Ku LNB, set your arc, then put the feedhorn back and fine tune? Seems easier to me.

Thanks for the ideas guys-both would probably work. I like the idea of swapping the KU LNB but I would probably have to get the holder to do that since I only have an Invacom. Hoping to see more about this motor soon. Maybe Iceberg or someone will test it out us. :)

I see the Fortec 6 footer is only about 5 pounds under the listed weight limit for the motor so that makes you wonder. It would be a great option for those that already have the Fortec dish if it all checks out ok and the mod isn't too tough for the mechanically challanged like me!

Since this dual band LNB is so inexpensive, I'd probably get it regardless of not immediately wanting to use the Ku side.
Plan for the future. :)
That would certainly make alignment trivial.

Did you already have a C-only LNB?
edit: sorry, I see you have a bsc421. Quick, sell it! :rolleyes:
I see the Fortec 6 footer is only about 5 pounds under the listed weight limit for the motor so that makes you wonder.
I took this at face value, but...
I'm not sure the weight listed for the 180 doesn't include that ground mount it comes with.
I couldn't find anything suggesting it weighed any more to ship the whole thing.
So, that suggests the dish weighs even a few pounds less without the stand.
I certainly could be wrong.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the weight listed for the 180 doesn't include that ground mount it comes with.
I couldn't find anything suggesting it weighed any more to ship the whole thing.
So, that suggests the dish weighs even a few pounds less without the stand.
I certainly could be wrong.

I believe you're correct. The listed weight of the 6ft dish includes the ground mount. So the reflector weight is less. I will weigh that part and report back. Right now we just ran out of stock on the 6ft dish. and don't have any to weigh.

The 180 dish itself isn't that heavy. When I moved mine from the back deck to in front of the garage, I was able to pick up the dish & "O" ring with one hand. I took the 6 brackets that hold the "O" ring (that the dish pieces are together) and take that off the mount.

The frame seemed to be heavier than the dish :)

The 180 dish itself isn't that heavy. ...
The frame seemed to be heavier than the dish :)
I was guessing the mounting frame might be 1/3rd of the total weight
Guess we'll have to wait 'till someone weighs either one....

Can anyone put their lower frame on the bathroom scales, if it is not in use?

In the end, maybe wind-loading will be the larger concern than dead weight.

Is there a review if this dish, as used for C-band digital?
I've looked and if it's here, I've missed it.

Good point guys about the dish/stand weight. I would imagine the dish alone does indeed weigh much less than the listed weight.

Anole,

I had thought of trying the BSC-621 as an "all in one" solution but have read that the KU performance is not up to par. Too bad as it would be nice to run just one dish.

For C-band, dish by itself is lighter than the mount. But when the dish is so light, that's actually not good when it windy.
I was using BSC-621 C/ku. C-band is good, Ku is not. Replace it with a cheap $10 one C-band Cal-amp that I bought on ebay, that outperforms the BSC any days interms of stability.

Good point guys about the dish/stand weight. I would imagine the dish alone does indeed weigh much less than the listed weight.

Anole,

I had thought of trying the BSC-621 as an "all in one" solution but have read that the KU performance is not up to par. Too bad as it would be nice to run just one dish.

Hey Mr. Sadoun,

I see you are showing this as available now. Any further info on the mods needed or general impressions of this unit? I am moving and definately interested in the possability of using this with the Fortec 180.

I haven't got the chance to play with one myself. I will do it as soon as possible. We have shipped quite a few now to other members who ordered one. I hope they can post their reviews here.

I haven't got the chance to play with one myself. I will do it as soon as possible. We have shipped quite a few now to other members who ordered one. I hope they can post their reviews here.

Well spring is finally here in my part of the world (knock on wood) and I am done moving so I am thinking about FTA options again. Any members here had a chance to try this motor out with the Fortec 6 footer? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.