New mpg4 dish channels in HDLITE!

I think the success or failure of HD-DVD and Blu-ray is what will help determine if HD-Lite lives or dies.

If these formats are successful, E* and D* will be much more likely to provide a comparable image.

My own belief is that right now E* is focusing on being the leading (as in # of channels) provider of HD. I'm hoping/guessing that as their MPEG4 equipment evolves they will move away from HD-Lite.

JosephF said:
I think the success or failure of HD-DVD and Blu-ray is what will help determine if HD-Lite lives or dies.

If these formats are successful, E* and D* will be much more likely to provide a comparable image.

My own belief is that right now E* is focusing on being the leading (as in # of channels) provider of HD. I'm hoping/guessing that as their MPEG4 equipment evolves they will move away from HD-Lite.
Although I'd like to believe that, I can't help but be less optimistic.

Look at the popularity of DVDs, and then look at how the quality of Dish's SD picture has deteriorated over the past several years.

Unless DirecTV and/or cable seize that reduced quality as a marketing point, I think HD-Lite is here to stay.

Scott

Voom is pure crap, they play the same stuff over and over again andddd its HD-Lite majorly! 10 Channels of wasted bandwidth, only channel worth keeping is Equator and Rave , if they showed more concerts and shows.

I rather i have 3-5 good voom channels in 1920x1080i resoultion then 10 HD-Lite crap channels.

So this brings in my question, I have a Samsung Slimfit CRT 1920x1080i ,, the blockiness and noise in the HD channels is cause from the downrezzing? That sucks :(

Well i hope HD-DVD and Blu-Ray explodes so that Dish and other companies can see the difference!

I wanted Comcast but i cant get it cause this third party cable company has taken over the county. They charge 2x much then Comcast and Dish Network charges 1.7x as much. So i guess im stuck with Dish Network.

Thanks for my rant.

Trev

Trev19 said:
Voom is pure crap, they play the same stuff over and over again andddd its HD-Lite majorly! 10 Channels of wasted bandwidth, only channel worth keeping is Equator and Rave , if they showed more concerts and shows.

I rather i have 3-5 good voom channels in 1920x1080i resoultion then 10 HD-Lite crap channels.

So this brings in my question, I have a Samsung Slimfit CRT 1920x1080i ,, the blockiness and noise in the HD channels is cause from the downrezzing? That sucks :(

Well i hope HD-DVD and Blu-Ray explodes so that Dish and other companies can see the difference!

I wanted Comcast but i cant get it cause this third party cable company has taken over the county. They charge 2x much then Comcast and Dish Network charges 1.7x as much. So i guess im stuck with Dish Network.

Thanks for my rant.

Trev
The 17 James Bond movie "crap" premier started early this A.M. for those of us who thoroughly enjoy Voom and HDNET.:D

Trev19 said:
Let's qualify this as your opinion. VOOM has been adding a lot of new content the past few months. Regarding HD-Lite, we're in agreement.

Personally, I don't watch UHD and probably won't watch FoodHD, HGTV-HD. If you add that to the 85% of the "cable favorites" I never watch then getting rid of them would solve the bandwidth issues. However, just becasue I don't watch them doesn't mean other paying customers won't enjoy them. I'm all for adding more HD channels...let's just hope Rainbow Media correct their infamous "fiber" problem.

What channels are you talking about? Assuming you're talking about the DishHD (national) channels, I have not seen these issues beyond soft PQ brought about my HD-Lite. I have made similar observations on my Mits Diamond CRT and Sony LDC...and Samsung Slimfit CRT (TXR3081WH). Now, if you're referring to the HD LIL channels...that's another issue: the problems appears to be with 1080i native broadcast networks (CBS, NBC) being encoded with the new MPEG-4 encoders given limited bandwidth. The 720p channels in my DMA look pretty good (ABC, FOX), but the 1080i channels look horrible. Hopefully, they encoder/bandwidth issues are being worked. Check out these posts:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=65603&highlight=1080i
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64857&highlight=1080i

Another choice is to cancel your Dish Network subscription and watch free over-the-network broadcast television (the hightest quality HDTV), or no television whatsoever.

Trev19 said:

Thanks for my rant.

Trev

As much as I agreed about HD Lite being an inferior quality, I have to disagree with the Voom content. Yes it is in HD Lite but to say that they have been repeating the same thing without adding new content, it is just pure ignorance. Since January 2006 Voom has added more content than UHD, INHD & INHD2 together. Yes, it is in HD Lite and I am not happy either about it. As far as blockiness onthe HD channels, I have not seen it on Dish Network HD channels. I watched lots of TV and have yet to see the blockiness. Even in the big explosions there is none. I would rather have the 15 voom channels at 1920x1080i than to have the Universal HD crap channel. If there is a channel to complaint about not adding new content has to be Universal HD. What a crap of channel?

Sean Mota said:
I would rather have the 15 voom channels at 1920x1080i than to have the Universal HD crap channel. If there is a channel to complaint about not adding new content has to be Universal HD. What a crap of channel?

Couldn't have said it better!!:)

riffjim4069 said:
Another choice is to cancel your Dish Network subscription and watch free over-the-network broadcast television (the hightest quality HDTV), or no television whatsoever.
Not so fast. MANY OTA affiliates multi-channel and the picture quality suffers tremendously. Every station in Houston multicasts and they all look like crap for it.

ChetK said:
Not so fast. MANY OTA affiliates multi-channel and the picture quality suffers tremendously. Every station in Houston multicasts and they all look like crap for it.
Yeah, but I thought I would avoid mentioning multicasting since it would only lead to one or more of us blowing a gasket. "Musticasting is the devil.":devil:

riffjim4069 said:
Yeah, but I thought I would avoid mentioning multicasting since it would only lead to one or more of us blowing a gasket. "Musticasting is the devil.":devil:

No, the devil is this case the devil is the acceptence of mediocrity. Thirty years ago companies wouldn't have survived selling "watered down" products. Today it's commonplace and accepted.

Yep. This has been my point all along. The root cause of our having lower picture quality lies with the buying public. In the arena of selling TV services, more channels trumps better picture quality, at least down to a level of quality that many here find unsatisfying.

I believe that if we took a vote of all current D*, E*, and Cable HD subscribers, and the choice was between 30 HD channels at 1280x1080i, 10MB/s quality vs 20 HD channels at 1920x1080i, 15MB/s quality, that the winner would be the 30 channels option. And as more of the general public acquires HDTV sets, the vote would continue to swing more and more in favor of the more channels option.

Cyclone said:
HD LIL is your local NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX networks in HDTV.

LIL = Locals in Local.

Ah So. Thanks. No, not something I want; I get them OTA. And for Tucson, AZ locals in HD, it will be ages b4 E* gets them. The cable companies in Tucson don't even have them all yet. Thank goodness for those old fashioned antennas. :)

Gary Murrell said:
I gave up on Dish HDTV months ago cancelled the entire service, I decided to check back in today and see whats up

seems the same old same old, what a joke:mad:

sorry guys, I don't think HD from Sat will ever be what it should, get HD-DVD and be happy and tell Dish to shove their HD-Lite

-Gary

Yeah the Starz news is enough to make me pause going MPEG4. I mean I was considering it to watch some of the exclusives Starz gets in HD but with HD-Lite it's not worth it to me.
Gary are all the VOOM's still in HD-Lite or what?
The sad thing about all this is that if MBC HD was full res. I'd jump like a jackrabbit to pick up an MPEG4 receiver.

Last edited:
I just received and email from Dish saying HGTV HD, Starz HD, NFL Network HD would be added to the Dish HD package on June 9th...They are not sure when and If NG HD will be available. I assume that means they are negotiating with NG HD for rights.

I just received an email from Dish saying HGTV HD, Starz HD, NFL Network HD would be added to the Dish HD package on June 9th...They are not sure when and If NG HD will be available. I assume that means they are negotiating with NG HD for rights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts