New mpg4 dish channels in HDLITE!

Well, tomorrow is today.. I just got off the phone with Dish, and they say the 4 new HD channels are going active tomorrow (6/9/06). I went ahead and subscribed to Starz so that I can get the channel as soon as they turn it on.

Hopefully you are right and they will get turned on today. It was just a CSR that told me it would be tomorrow, and we all know how often they don't know what they are talking about (almost always).

still nothing...!

Ok today is now tomorrow and still nothing? They waiting for the last day of team summit...?

That makes a total of 33 active HD channels now on DISH not counting OTA reception. So we are getting in the 40+ channel neighborhood that VOOM had 2 years ago. Interesting but the HD Lite is crap. Come on Charlie, you can do better!
Put some of the money you got with the rate increase back into the system and give us quality as well as quantity!

Tvlman said:
Come on Charlie, you can do better! Put some of the money you got with the rate increase back into the system and give us quality as well as quantity!
Yes, he can do better...but why? DirecTV the self-proclaimed HD Leader? (LOL) - especially when VOOM is exclusive to DishHD. Charlie will gladly spend a few bucks on VOOM, but only when it costs him more money to do nothing.

VOOM (owned and operated by Charlie Ergen)

Tvlman said:
That makes a total of 33 active HD channels now on DISH not counting OTA reception. So we are getting in the 40+ channel neighborhood that VOOM had 2 years ago. Interesting but the HD Lite is crap. Come on Charlie, you can do better!
Put some of the money you got with the rate increase back into the system and give us quality as well as quantity!

Glad for what DISH has done but PQ from the original VOOM spoiled some of us. Others just don't understand. I bet Charlie was a VOOMER too, and he gets it!

I understand the dislike of HDlite, but lets give it some time. I personally think that we have to let the technology (capacity) evolve to give us FULL HD. I do not think the Dish is giving us HDlite just to stick it to us. Lets give it some time and see what happens. Maybe I am wrong and Dish has all the capacity to give us Full HD. I prefer to give them some time to get more into HD. Remember HD is basically brand new. I live in NYC and I know a good quantity of people and I am the only that has HD. I know I am not the only one here that has HD. I am just making the point that it is a NEW thing that people are starting to notice more.

Why does Dish send the Demo channel at full bit rate??? The one channel that shows off what HD is capable of and shows off Dish's capability for sending HD, then down res the other channels. Makes me think they know how to wow the masses in the retail outlets - then disappoint when they sign up....

Its not that they're TRYING to dissapoint people, its just that they're TRYING to reel in as many as possible, and once they do they don't CARE anymore......thats all.....oh wait, thats not better.:D

gdarwin said:
Why does Dish send the Demo channel at full bit rate??? The one channel that shows off what HD is capable of and shows off Dish's capability for sending HD, then down res the other channels. Makes me think they know how to wow the masses in the retail outlets - then disappoint when they sign up....

Yea, it's called "bait & switch".:mad:

alexgmny said:
I understand the dislike of HDlite, but lets give it some time. I personally think that we have to let the technology (capacity) evolve to give us FULL HD. I do not think the Dish is giving us HDlite just to stick it to us. Lets give it some time and see what happens.
In theory, you are correct.

But Dish has also had the capability to give us better SD for the past few years, and yet it would be hard to find anyone who thinks the quality has actually improved in that time.

That is the concern with HD. If we accept what we're getting today, the quality will not improve, but only remain the same or slowly deteriorate as more (questionable) channels are added.

Scott

gdarwin said:
That's really interesting. It kind of deflates the claims of people that say there's little noticeable difference between HD and HD-lite. And it also shows that somebody at Dish knows the difference.

Scott

I'll say it again - it's called bait & switch.

"E" sets up their demo channel with the best they've got but compromises quality of the channels they actually sell you.

They figure most of their HD subs (that don't reside here at SatGuys) will either not notice the difference or if they do, blame it on the channel or the content or the weather or the............

Because the demo is a controlled, repeating loop that theoretically should always look the same, it's PQ is nowhere near as subjective as the HD channels themselves, where PQ can suffer for many reasons.

Dish knows that customers know any channel's PQ can vary for many reasons that are not Dish's fault and don't think Dish doesn't use this fact. I suspect they even cycle the bitrates around a little to make it appear even more like channel or broadcast annomolies instead of Dish squeezing bandwidth. I think this has been Dish's policy with SD for years, so why would it be any different with HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)