New news on Cutler

How do you figure? The Bears were 1 game away from wining their division last year with a back-up quality QB! Imagine what Cutler could improve on.

Sure the Bears paid a lot, but I'm starting to believe this trade has true potential.

The Bears traded away this year's 18th overall pick, next year's 1st and 3rd rounder. What are the chances they get a better QB at that spot if they kept that draft pick in the draft? And how long would it take to find out? Who knows. The fact of the matter is, Cutler is a somewhat proven commodity and a massive improvement on what they had. The Bears now have a team that's ready to compete for a division title and Cutler is ready to step in now and take over the gaping hole they had at QB.

Excellent points!

As a long-time Bears fan (30+ years), I can say that I am really excited about this trade. Those of you that don't normally follow the Bears, have to understand the pain we've been through over the years never really having a "real" quarterback. Chicago has always been a "running team" that plays tough 'D', but never had a good QB. It was great watching Payton run all over everyone in the 70's and 80's, but since then it's been rough. Jim McMahon was the closest thing (in my lifetime) to a decent quarterback, who when on the field, you thought could actually win a game for the team, but he couldn't keep it all together. And having to watch the 15 or so starting QBs shuffle through here since Brett Favre came to Green Bay was horrible.

The Bears needed to make this deal to try for the ultimate "what if" every Bears fan has been waiting for. What if we had a really good QB for a change??? They obviously have never been able to develop one themselves. So it the best chance was to come by a trade. Along comes Denver, drafting Cutler #1 a few years ago, grooming him, sending him to the Pro Bowl, and then offering him up to the Bears. So did the Bears give up a "TON"? not in this fan's eyes! Based on the past track record of the percentage of #1 picks making any kind of difference, I'll take a 25-year old Pro Bowl quarterback for those odds any day of the week!

And I don't want to hear about Orton's win/loss record vs. Cutler's. IMHO, Orton didn't really win any of those games. The defense did, and he just didn't lose it for them. Cutler managed to win a few games himself despite having an average to slightly below average defense. The Bears D is still 'good', but it ain't what it was a few years ago when they went to the Super Bowl. So we need more out of the offense this year. So now with a good QB added to some good young talent (Olsen, Forte and potentially Hester) on offense, this might just be what the team needs to kick it into the next level this year. At least on paper :) I can't wait for football season!

I would have to say awful defense.

Last edited:
Denver has more problems than a bad defense, they have no running game.
If the Broncos expect to protect Orton(especially him) or Simms or if they draft a QB(Sanchez) they also will need to draft a quality RB in this draft(Moreno?).

Denver has more problems than a bad defense, they have no running game.
If the Broncos expect to protect Orton(especially him) or Simms or if they draft a QB(Sanchez) they also will need to draft a quality RB in this draft(Moreno?).

They won't get BOTH , possibly one, but not both.
Those guys will both go in the first round, they won't want to pay TWO 1st rounders and they won't both be available when a second pick would come to them anyways.

Denver now has picks 12 and 18.

It just amazes me that all these teams trade players that are important, spend tons of money for free agents or use all their draft picks to acquire a trade when the Steelers sit in the background not making any headlines and just build winning teams year after year.

They do it all within the draft, they never pay high prices for a free agent, they keep their good players and they know when to let their older high priced players go(Except Woodson:().

The Steelers rarely have a high draft pick, so they don't have to overpay a rookie.

Last edited:
It just amazes me that all these teams trade players that are important, spend tons of money for free agents or use all their draft picks to acquire a trade when the Steelers sit in the background not making any headlines and just build winning teams tear after year.

They do it all within the draft, they never pay high prices for a free agent, they keep their good players and they know when to let their older high priced players go(Except Woodson:().

The Steelers rarely have a high draft pick, so they don't have to overpay a rookie.

Steeler's have let a lot of VERY good players go via free agency, drives me nuts, they could actually be ALOT better if they would just resign some of thier OWN players. Also, it wouldn't hurt for them to occasionally go GET a FA player from time to time.

Steeler's have let a lot of VERY good players go via free agency, drives me nuts, they could actually be ALOT better if they would just resign some of thier OWN players. Also, it wouldn't hurt for them to occasionally go GET a FA player from time to time.

Woodson was the only one that upset me.

With free agents I was hoping for them to get a corner back, but we all knew they weren't going to pay a arm and a leg for one.

It just amazes me that all these teams trade players that are important, spend tons of money for free agents or use all their draft picks to acquire a trade when the Steelers sit in the background not making any headlines and just build winning teams tear after year.

Hit it right on the head, Tom. :up

It just amazes me that all these teams trade players that are important, spend tons of money for free agents or use all their draft picks to acquire a trade when the Steelers sit in the background not making any headlines and just build winning teams year after year.

Look at the 3 best teams in the last 10 years. Patriots, Steelers and Colts. That is how they all did it.

Look at the 3 best teams in the last 10 years. Patriots, Steelers and Colts. That is how they all did it.

I think you'll see that more from Denver in the future. We went hog wild in FA this year because we had to. Shanahan was never good signing FA, and most of them are now gone. McDaniels wanted to put a winner on the field this year, and had to use FA this year to fill holes and do so. But now, we've got lots of picks in the next 2 years, should be fun to watch.

Your biggest question mark is your 32 yr. old HC. You are stocked with picks like Detroit is. (5 in the top 85 for the Lion's this season. Make or break for us.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)