Status
Please reply by conversation.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
anyone else get the email about the new protection plan? I didn't see a thread on it, just wondering peoples thoughts...I really like the fact that I can now upgrade for free every two years :)

i've had direct since 2001, they have ALWAYS offered me free upgrades every 2 years. This is just an excuse to raise yet another one of their fees. I love directv, but the recent jump in all of their fees is making me consider other options.

Given the suffering involved with upgrades (losing recorded content, new cycle of bugs), I'm dubious how valuable regular upgrades really are.

It would be a much different story if content was portable and recording preferences were easily transferred.

I don't like the fact that the 'protection plan fee' went up $2.00 AND the 'FREE' upgrades also means another 2 year contract!!! I cancelled the protection plan after I saw that. Paul

The price hike was the straw that broke the camel's back. I called my local installer and am switching to Dish on Tuesday.

:welcome to Satelliteguys c.hack!

Wow, you have been a member for six years and this is your first post? That may be a record! :)
Why would you leave and go to Dish simply because of the price hike in the protection plan? Why not just drop it? How much is the PP from Dish and does it cover the same things the Directv plan does? What about equipment and programming costs? Will you actually save money by switching? Will you get the channels that you want to watch?

I have never seen it in writing that they have offered free upgrades every two years until now. And I do understand that it went up 2 bucks and that is hard to swallow with all the other fees going up, I have never seen it before but I would love to see a cost by cost basis of providers in areas, I think it would be cool to open a spreadsheet up and lets say for Akron Oh be able to see the cost of TWC, DIRECTV, and Dish.

I have dish now but will be switching to direct mainly because they have espn u in hd and Disney jr as well. The protection plan with dish covers the receivers but you pay 15.00 each time a tech comes out. They still don't have full time rsn's which means that as soon as the ball game ends it cuts off the hd feed. So if you want to watch after the game you're out of luck. The hopper can only record 3 shows at a time. If you need more tuners you'll have to get another hopper. A 2nd hopper will run you 14.00 after may 23rd. Going from 7.00 to 14.00 a 7.00 increase.

I got the E-Mail Sunday about the Protection Plan and new price free upgrade every 2 years and everything else it does :)

I have dish now but will be switching to direct mainly because they have espn u in hd and Disney jr as well. The protection plan with dish covers the receivers but you pay 15.00 each time a tech comes out. They still don't have full time rsn's which means that as soon as the ball game ends it cuts off the hd feed. So if you want to watch after the game you're out of luck. The hopper can only record 3 shows at a time. If you need more tuners you'll have to get another hopper. A 2nd hopper will run you 14.00 after may 23rd. Going from 7.00 to 14.00 a 7.00 increase.
I switched a couple of weeks ago and I’m very happy. I love the HR34 (wish I could get the faster HR44), but the client is unbearably slow, which isn’t critical because it’s my secondary TV. Like you, it’s great getting 24-hour RSN reception in addition to HD ESPNU. Unlike the Dish 622 and 722, when I record one OTA channel, I can still watch another OTA channel. Also, you can stop watching the OTA channel you are recording and it still records, the 622 and 722 wouldn’t let you do that without stopping the recording altogether. Maybe I’m seeing things and just excited about what the HR34 can do, but I think the D* HD PQ is better.

I also received the PP today in the mail and promptly called and cancelled. I never had one with Dish and I don’t intend to start now. YMMV.

I'll schedule for an appointment when I sign up and if they don't have an hr44 at the time of install i won't accept it. At least with dish you get what you ask for.

I'll schedule for an appointment when I sign up and if they don't have an hr44 at the time of install i won't accept it. At least with dish you get what you ask for.
Good luck with that.

Save yourself the time, and save the tech the time, and find out beforehand. The chances are you will not get a HR44. The tech gets paid for the install, so no need to waste or be inconsiderate of his valuable time.

The HR44 isn't in general release yet. If you aren't in a test market, you aren't getting it, yet.

I have heard late May or early June. Time will tell.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts