New Radio Channel on G19 - Can you verify?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTL_Ian

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Keene, NH
Hello,

I've been working on getting my dish set up, but I think a few more tree branches need to come down before I can get a signal, so I'm hoping one of you good folks can run a quick check for me.

I have put a radio channel up on Galaxy 19 that I'd like to verify is actually there. It's called the Liberty Radio Network and should be found on G19 Ku-band transponder 11, SID 16.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Ian Freeman
Program Director, LRN.FM

Works fine here. Quality is about 50.

When you say quality is 50, what do you mean?

Is there a way to check the bitrate and format of a given channel? I'm paying for 64kbps mono - is that what you are receiving? The uplink is currently being fed from a 64k .mp3 stream, which I'll be upgrading in a month or two.

Thanks, guys! Got live programming coming on starting at 5pm today. Full schedule is at Program Guide : LRN.FM – The Liberty Radio Network

When you say quality is 50, what do you mean?
thats what the receiver he is using is showing for signal quality. It varies due to dish size, alignment, receiver brand and other factors. As example on a GeosatPro I show it at 65 quality but on my Coolsat its 72-73

basically we both responded that the channel is active. What the signal quality shows is irrelevant

Is there a way to check the bitrate and format of a given channel? I'm paying for 64kbps mono - is that what you are receiving? The uplink is currently being fed from a 64k .mp3 stream, which I'll be upgrading in a month or two.

someone with a PC card can chime in with that info as receivers normally dont show that info

So, I've managed to finally get G19 on my receiver, but TP11 is not coming through strong enough to get a signal. It's running between 15-40% whereas TP 27 is around 60%. I've taken a picture with Satellite Finder for my Android. Do you think I need to cut those branches back? Could those power and utility lines be a problem?

Thanks!

satellite4.jpg

Only way to know for sure is to temporarily move the dish and check. I'm on a 30 inch dish and have solid lock on a Pansat 9600 with a Q in the 30s. But as Iceberg says, Q is setup specific.

thats what the receiver he is using is showing for signal quality. It varies due to dish size, alignment, receiver brand and other factors. As example on a GeosatPro I show it at 65 quality but on my Coolsat its 72-73

basically we both responded that the channel is active. What the signal quality shows is irrelevant

someone with a PC card can chime in with that info as receivers normally dont show that info

I had a feeling that's what he was referring to, just wanted to be sure. I have a GeosatPRO DSR-R100 with a 76cm Winegard dish and I have lost the signal at this point. Are you getting the 65 quality on TP11 with your 76cm dish?

Only way to know for sure is to temporarily move the dish and check. I'm on a 30 inch dish and have solid lock on a Pansat 9600 with a Q in the 30s. But as Iceberg says, Q is setup specific.

I'm currently getting 60 on TP27 and 45 on TP26. TP27 is watchable while TP26 is problematic. TP11 is stuck at 15, resulting in nothing.

I'm guessing those tree leaves are causing the trouble, cause I can't seem to tweak the dish any further.

I'll let you know what happens when those get cut away.

I had a feeling that's what he was referring to, just wanted to be sure. I have a GeosatPRO DSR-R100 with a 76cm Winegard dish and I have lost the signal at this point. Are you getting the 65 quality on TP11 with your 76cm dish?

yes
Geosat pro 200 and 30" dish here in Minnesota

Excellent! Now to actually successfully receive the signal myself...

Did I inadvertently buy a channel on the weakest of the transponders? :eek:

Yep, it was the trees. Cut 'em back to this, and can now receive my channel with about a 58 quality. Going to tweak the dish one more time to see if I can peak it any better, but all is well!

Thanks for all the help!

satellite1.jpg

What are those funny things in the picture? .... .... . .. ........ Oh, yeah, I remember, neighbors houses --- and vegetation -- trees aren't they? Our closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away and the closest tree is next to his house.

On Topic... I am glad to see that you got the problem solved. Keep working on it, you will get the bug.

POP

I will talk to qwert1515 who runs "thelist" to get a fresh update on there. Noticed its a few weeks behind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)